News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Windshield

Started by cudadude013, April 12, 2008, 11:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudadude013

ok guys,
I've put in over 9 hrs trying to install the windshield on my "68 Charger. I put the gasket into the window chanel and start with the bottom of the windshield but when I get to the upper corners it gets ridiculously tight and I just haven't been able to get it.  :brickwall:

Any tips or should I just call the pros?

I've read the other threads on this topic that say its a simple install, but I'm lookin for some tricks now. Thanks!

RogerDodger

Try putting a piece of weed eater line inside the gasket all the way around the windshield. Have someone apply slight pressure from the outside as you pull the line to the inside. The line should pull the gasket into place as you pull on it. Hope this helps.

RogerDodger

Sounds like you may have the gasket on the car. Put the gasket on the windshield first and then put the weed eater line around it in the groove of the gasket and set the windshield over the opening. Now use the line to pull the rubber into place.

daytonalo

Three side it ! Install Gaskit in lower channel , have a buddy help install glass into lower gasket , next install gasket over edge of glass on three sides , use weedwacker string or thin rope in channel , gently push glass towards car , next use rope to pull gasket lip into car , while gently smacking glass with open palm .

Larry

onebadmopar

i do auto glass for a living 26 years what you want to do is this 1st off get some liquid butyl sealer comes in tube like a silicone apply 3/8 bead across the bottom of the glass channel(pinchweld) paying close attention to both bottom corners more is better as this is where they tend to leak the most... next step is with a helper get gasket top corners onto the pinchweld and work gasket onto the car do the bottom last as this part just sits on top of the pinchweld and hooks onto those little tabs you see at the bottom next slide the glass into the bottom groove of the gasket again a helper is good here try and get it so the bottom right corner is tucked into the gasket groove on both the bottom and part of the right side pillar next you will need what we call a fiber stick or a (bone) its a plastic stick used for lipping the glass into the gasket work both sides  evenly start were you got the passneger side of the glass started work the gasket up the passenger side then go to the left side put one hand inside the car and one outside the car and push the glass towards the passenger side you,ll find it will move a little now allowing you to lip in the left side  the top corners can be a little tight but they will go little soap and water (dishwashing liquid mixed with water )would work fine spray it onto the top of the gasket this will help with lipping it in after the glass is seated in the gasket you simply apply some more liguid butyl between the gasket and the glass and again behind the rubber to the body .....then simply zip the rubber up if its a new gasket again its a little tough because its new but it will zip up just keep trying ..thats it snap chromes on and have a ball  :2thumbs: