News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel sending unit 68 Charger

Started by C500, April 14, 2008, 05:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

Hi guys,

I have just installed a new fuel tank and sending unit and ground strap. The gauge is still not working. I have ground the wire at the tank, needle goes off the top, so the wiring and gauge must be sweet. Test lights blinks with key on and probe on wire.

I was sent the wrong unit (can't remember if it was Year-one or the Paddock - its been a while). The unit has a return line which I didn't order, and have since had welded closed. Other than that, the unit looks identical to my old one. I figure the new unit is for a 69 or 70 Charger. Can anyone tell me if the wiring internals of the unit are different on the inside, causing this unit to not work on my 68.

Thanks.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Plumcrazy

Pull the sending unit out and measure the resistance.  Measure between the post where the wire attaches and the sending unit.
With the float hanging down at the bottom of it's travel you should have 73 ohms resistance, plus or minus 10 ohms.
Then raise the float to the full position, you should have 10 ohms resistance, plus or minus 1 ohm.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

histoy

You can also try running a separate ground wire to the sending unit.   Sometimes the strap type doesn't provide a good enough ground.   Try a jumper wire first.   If it works, then make it permanent.

C500

Thanks guys. I tried the jumper wire ground method on Saturday, no good. The unit is well earthed, I ground the wire on the redundant return line when needle went above full. I think the sender will have to come out again and measured like plumcrazy suggests.

Real pain in the a$$ when new parts don't work. Probably made in China  :brickwall:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

bill440rt

Just curious here, but why didn't you call Y.O. or the Paddock to let them know they sold you a defective part that didn't work? They probably would have made an exchange...  :ahum:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

C500

Because its been sitting a long time and I can't find the receipt, otherwise I would.

Chatt69chgr

Don't know about Paddock but Year One will have a record of your purchase that they can look up on the computer.