News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lights flicker at higher rpm HELP!

Started by badack, April 15, 2008, 06:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badack

69 Charger
With the parking lights or headlights on, all the lights fluctuate intermittently including interiors. The alt gauge also dances all around.

I have replaced; alternator, had the cluster rebuilt by PCG, voltage regulator.

I have tried jumping the headlight grounds to the neg battery side, grounding the firewall directly to the neg battery side, looked at the bulklhead connectors, the ecu connection. I have not replaced the ecu yet.

I do not have a good understanding of what does what so please dummy up your response.

Thanks, steve

Tilar

Check your body to engine ground cables.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

badack

Ok thanks,

Where are the best points to ground from/to?

Tilar

Firewall to engine block was what was in mind when I wrote the first reply, but be sure your fenders and all are getting a good ground.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

badack

Thanks for your help. As it turns out the problem was the voltage regulator. It isn't that old but apparently  they wear out quickly. I am trying to locate a transistor type without points if anyone has a source.
steve

myk

From what I've read on these forums, replacement units for '69 and older are actually trainsistorized and no longer points-based.  Points-based units are only available through NOS/OEM avenues apparently...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

badack

Well all I can say is that the regulator I just purchased from a local auto supply has points behind the cover and so did the one I bought 6 months ago. So my hunt continues.

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

badack

Thanks! That's $20. cheaper than I paid for the points style.

histoy

I put the FBO regulator on my Charger, and it worked much better than the points style regulator.