News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will a disk brake master work with 4 wheel drums?

Started by 69RTSEV88, April 16, 2008, 03:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69RTSEV88

I recently purchased a reman. master cylinder for my 69 Charger R/T.  The car still has its original 11" power 4-wheel drum brakes and I intend to keep them.  I bought a re-manufactured master cylinder from NAPA today (NAPA # TS101323) which supposedly meets the specs for my car.  The reman master cylinder that I got in the box looks nothing like the original bolt on cap style master, and is Chrysler part # 3699263 with an R2 after it and a wire retainer style cap.  The best info I was able to find indicates this master is for a disk brake car, but I have no idea what model or years.  I'm not really concerned about originality, or the need to have the absolute correct part, but I just want to know that this different style master will work with drum brakes.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 69RTSEV88 on April 16, 2008, 03:20:25 PM
I recently purchased a reman. master cylinder for my 69 Charger R/T.  The car still has its original 11" power 4-wheel drum brakes and I intend to keep them.  I bought a re-manufactured master cylinder from NAPA today (NAPA # TS101323) which supposedly meets the specs for my car.  The reman master cylinder that I got in the box looks nothing like the original bolt on cap style master, and is Chrysler part # 3699263 with an R2 after it and a wire retainer style cap.  The best info I was able to find indicates this master is for a disk brake car, but I have no idea what model or years.  I'm not really concerned about originality, or the need to have the absolute correct part, but I just want to know that this different style master will work with drum brakes.

Drum brakes will have a master with equal sized reservoirs.....  A disc brake master will have one small & one large reservoir
To answer your question, will a disc brake master work?  yes although the brake action might not be the same due to a disc brake master's larger cylinder bore...
Would I use it?  Nope....send it back & get the right one.   You more than likely wont be getting the bolt on cap one....even though they picture them they are very scarce

Does the master you got look like this one?

If so, it will work.  Its a later model (72-74 I believe) B body master which is more common now

If you must have the correct bolt on style master, Jack from CJMP has them.....click on the link if you are brave (price)

http://www.cjmotorparts.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage1/product_id,13590/category_id,11/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69RTSEV88

No, the new master doesn't look like the one pictured.  It is definitely the one with the larger front reservoir.  NAPA does offer a rebuild kit, I wonder if its for the bolt on cap style or the disk brake master like I bought.  Although, as long as its for a 1" bore, it may just be the correct kit.
Thanks for the reply.

John_Kunkel

The size of the reservoirs doesn't determine whether a MC is usable with drum brakes but the presence of residual pressure valves (RPV's) does. A drum brake MC will have RPV's in both the front and rear outlets, disc MC's have them only in the front outlet.

If an original disc brake MC (different sized reservoirs) is rebuilt with RPV's in both outlets it is usable with drum brakes.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

69RTSEV88

Problem solved!  Took disk brake master back to NAPA and had them pull two more from stock with the same part # to compare.  Low and behold the two other masters were the correct Bendix center bolt cap style that is correct for 4-wheel power drums.  Just exchanged the parts even.  Reman only $30.00 with core dep.  Much better than CJMP
Thanks again to all for responses!