News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

BB fuel pump help ?

Started by 69bananabeast, October 12, 2005, 06:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bananabeast

how many bolts are there for the mechanical pump the one I got was only two bolts , but there is another bolt hole below them?
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

Ghoste

There are only two bolts holding the pump on.  There is a hole to access the pump pushrod that is normally sealed by a pipe plug.  Is that what you are referring to?

69bananabeast

it sounds like what im referring to ,where can I find a plug ?
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

Chryco Psycho

it is a standard 3/8 pipe plug , any hardware store should have them

Ghoste

Of course, if you are changing the fuel pump, you may as well change the fuel pump pushrod at the same time and the pushrod as it comes from Mopar includes a new plug.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on October 13, 2005, 03:41:25 AM
Of course, if you are changing the fuel pump, you may as well change the fuel pump pushrod at the same time and the pushrod as it comes from Mopar includes a new plug.

:iagree: A new fuel pump pushrod is pretty cheap and they do wear down. Last one i purchased was $12.00 from the dealer.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69bananabeast

well I just got it from autozone   ,  had been building from bare block so dont have a previous one to go by
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

cudaken

You got the rod or the pipe plug from auto zone Nic?

If you need some small stuff, let me know. Have some water pumps, alt brackets that kink of stuff.

Cuda Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

Banana,

Do yourself a favor and measure the fuel pump pushrod. It should be 3.25in long or very close. If it is shorter than that i would recommend replacing it. The MP replacement is ; p5249569

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

myk

Aargh!  Even with Chryco's advice I haven't been able to mount my mechanical fuel pump-I can't figure out how I'm supposed to keep the pushrod up while sliding the lever in.  How do you guys handle this? 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Just 6T9 CHGR

Us
Quote from: myk on August 22, 2006, 04:05:35 PM
Aargh! Even with Chryco's advice I haven't been able to mount my mechanical fuel pump-I can't figure out how I'm supposed to keep the pushrod up while sliding the lever in. How do you guys handle this?

Use a bit of Vaseline to help the pushrod stay up in the block
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

NHCharger

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on August 22, 2006, 05:13:38 PM
Us
Aargh! Even with Chryco's advice I haven't been able to mount my mechanical fuel pump-I can't figure out how I'm supposed to keep the pushrod up while sliding the lever in. How do you guys handle this?

Use a bit of Vaseline to help the pushrod stay up in the block
:iagree:
That's what I did when I changed mine. :yesnod:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

myk

Wow, thanks guys.  I was thinking along those lines, but I was worried about the consequences of some foreign goop like vaseline falling into my motor somewhere.  So, I take it I'm supposed to dab the vaseline onto the pushrod, push it up as high as it can go, and then hope that it's thick, viscious properties will hold it up long enough for me to install the pump? 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

myk

Bleh.  Even with the vaseline on my fingers and squirming about in the rod-slot I couldn't give her a happy ending; too bad my automotive life mimics my love life, eh? 

I should've probably done this sooner, but I decided to take off my alternator and doing that gave me all of the room and sight I needed to finally get this thing done.  The odd thing is, I noticed that even though the pump push rod wasn't staying up, it wasn't falling all the way down either, which allowed me to "sneak" the fuel pump's lever just underneath the pushrod as I mounted the pump.  Is this even possible?  Someone tell me if it isn't, but I was able to bolt it back up anyway so I'm assuming that the pushrod is resting on the pump lever like it's supposed to.  Thanks again to everyone with their suggestions...

1970440RT

The only way the pump will bolt down flush is if you have the pump lever positioned correctly under the rod.  If the lever is cocked to the side, so will the pump and you will have a tough time tightening the bolts.  If it wasn't right, you would notice. 

myk

Got it in, thanks for all of the input guys...

max

Aargh!  Even with Chryco's advice I haven't been able to mount my mechanical fuel pump-I can't figure out how I'm supposed to keep the pushrod up while sliding the lever in.  How do you guys handle this? 

i always use alittle bit of wheel bearing greese and it stays in place coarse another problem you might be having is the lobe on the cam that the pushrod rides on may be at it's highest point keeping the pushrod from going back in the block farther.

Nacho-RT74

you stolen my words max, that is what I was to say UNTILL I read the last reply LOL

crank a little bit the engine. Try to get the lower section of gas pump cam on camshaft to get it easier ;)
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

myk

I ended up getting the pump in, but get this: I didn't have to hold the pushrod up AT ALL.  It turns out that the position that the pushrod was resting at was high enough for me to just merely slide the pump lever in.  And to think that I let my car sit in pieces for days trying to finger-bang that stupid slot...

Ghoste

Then log off and go pound the rest of the car for a while. :icon_smile_big:

max

Quoteyou stolen my words max, that is what I was to say UNTILL I read the last reply LOL

crank a little bit the engine. Try to get the lower section of gas pump cam on camshaft to get it easier

sorry about that :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: myk on September 03, 2006, 05:46:13 AM
I ended up getting the pump in, but get this: I didn't have to hold the pushrod up AT ALL.  It turns out that the position that the pushrod was resting at was high enough for me to just merely slide the pump lever in.  And to think that I let my car sit in pieces for days trying to finger-bang that stupid slot...

yeah, i have been through simular things like that as well and it ended up being something simple or stupid that held me up :rotz:

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on September 03, 2006, 09:33:31 AM
Then log off and go pound the rest of the car for a while. :icon_smile_big:

Roger that.  We've been on the road together for about a week now.  At this point I'm still dealing with the off-idle stumble/bog that I'm hoping to fix with bigger squirters...

Ghoste

Other than that, it's been running great then?

myk

Considering that I've changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel pump that have been there for about 10 years it is running better, lol.  I'm still not sure about WOT/high speeds though...

Now, I'm going to focus on engine timing.  I still haven't decided if I'm going to disconnect the vacuum advance and time it that way, as I'm convinced that my motor doesn't like it, but with Ron, Neil and everyone else insisting on it, how can I resist?  Then, I'm going to go back and try to fine tune the 'eddy carb.  Pulling my plugs showed that they were white and burnt, so I've jetted up but only one size, and I still don't know if I'm supposed to jet-up the secondaries also.  At this point I wish I had bought a Holley, but I'll make do with what I have.

Once again, thanks to everyone for their input and support...