News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What should my gas mileage be, and can I improve it?

Started by AmadeusCharger500, April 18, 2008, 11:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

1974 Satellite.
Rebuilt 318 with 302 heads. 9.5:1 compression.
2.25 headers, 3.55 gears, stock trans, 650 edelbrock carb.
250 miles on rebuild.

Currently getting about 10mpg in moderate city driving, not heavy traffic.
Does mileage get any better as the engine settles and seals?
I know almost nothing about tuning the edel carb, except the air mixture screws.

aifilaw

you should be getting MUCH better mileage, and its due to the timing and the mixture. Either find someone who is really competent to do it for you, or start readnig some of the articles about carb adjustment and setting timing.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

AmadeusCharger500

What does a small block need for timing? I set it the same as my bigblock when I first started it and left it there just because it ran so good.
Its at 15 initial.

aifilaw

I hate initial timing because the timing curves are always different based on spring rates, and people modifying the slots.
I don't really do small blocks, but off the top of my head with low compression I would say shoot for around 35* total timing. There is never any "set" timing for any particular engine, they will always have their own sweet spot, and you can usually find it with a vacuum gauge, a dyno, or just adjusting each tank of gas up or down a degree.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

firefighter3931

Heath ;

15 at idle and 35-36 total should be fine. It sounds like your carb may be too rich. Use a vacuum guage like Aiflaw said and lean it out as much as possible on the idle mixture....then adjust idle speed as necessary. New engines take a while to loosen up so give it some time.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Plumcrazy

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 20, 2008, 07:56:51 PM
Heath ;

15 at idle and 35-36 total should be fine. It sounds like your carb may be too rich. Use a vacuum guage like Aiflaw said and lean it out as much as possible on the idle mixture....then adjust idle speed as necessary. New engines take a while to loosen up so give it some time.

Ron

:iagree:  You might also want to pull some of the plugs out to see what they look like.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.