News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Some External Opinions...

Started by Mopar440+6, October 13, 2005, 11:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar440+6

Hey guys, I'm sure all of you know what its like to get discouraged with a project, especially one as big as restoring a car. Well that’s pretty much where I'm at right now. For those of you that know me and my '68 you know that it’s going to be a LOOOONG road to getting this car finished. For many reasons, including but definitely not limited to the fact that I'm in college thus limiting my time and finances and the fact that this car is EXTREMELY rough. Also I have yet to find anything original about this car, nothing matches and I'm not even sure the VIN is the original one for this body. Recently I've found a few more problems with the car than I had first expected and I have also calculated that my budget for this restomod is going to be a good bit more than I had first thought if I do it the way I want it. Now I'm not expecting this restoration to happen overnight (or in a month or a year for that matter) but I would like to drive the car sometime before I'm too old to enjoy it or gasoline dries up. I guess the point to all my ramblings is that I’m feeling pretty overwhelmed with this car right now. I’m considering selling/parting out what’s left of the three '68s I have and trying to find a Charger that is in a little better shape that what I have to work with now. Yet I don't want a fully finished car, I just want a little better starting point to build the car of my dreams. Or should I look for a finished car that is mostly what I want, drive/play with it through college and restore it after I graduate and settle down? Is this the stupidest thing you've ever heard or might this just be a good idea? Dazed and confused, Bryan

Pictures of my cars for reference: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/726483/1
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

NYCMille

Walk away from it for awhile - then sit down and make a list of what you need to do, do ONE thing at a time and don't rush it and your car will get done... it will take some time, but patience is the key on this one my friend.

andy74

have a few beers,it helps me everytime!

41husk

I agree with NYCmile.  If you have a line on a better starting point fine, if not step away for a time before you decide to sell it.  I am getting work done on my challenger lately, I don't know why some times I am motivated and can't wait to get a free moment to work on it.  I have thought of selling her many times but she don't eat nothing and is in a garage out of the weather so she won't get worse waiting for my next period of motivation.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

4402tuff4u

First of all just remember that you are one of the luckier ones that has a Charger. Remember there are alot of people looking for Chargers. So dont be to discourage. One of the biggest hurtles is finding one that is "restorable". Your looks pretty good in my opinion.  Very good suggestions by other members to take a breather and come up with priority list and a rough schedule on where you want be and how much time & money is going to require to get there. I had to get a second job to do mine and balance the time with my family obligations. I have to admit, it's not a cheap endevour, but in time it's achievable. You might want to get the Charger to a point that you can use it and drive it (have fun with it) if you dont have the funds for a full restoration.
When I first got mine I was driving it without an interior, without trim, black primed with only the driver side seat and wires hanging from underneath the dashboard. It looked pretty chabby but I smoked a mustang that challenged me at a red light! I also took it to local car shows and I was impressed and surprised on how many people came around the car to look at it and ask questions about it. So I would say get the Charger to a point that you can use it, and have fun with it and go from there. Cheer up! ;)
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Mopar440+6

:bump:
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

Steve P.

First, lay off the coffee........   Put it away till your done with school. Your education is most important.. Gas will be around for many years to come and if not we'll toss a few additives into a few gallons of alcohol and burn a little cleaner... I would weld some tubing into the rear so the trunk doesn't crease...

Oh, I hate the new Charger...... 

Sorry, that was two opinions....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bull

I kind of know what you're going through: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,4429.0.html

There's really nothing I can tell you that you don't already know, or have thought of. I'm considering everything from a nut and bolt resto to selling it and going a different direction. Like you I have no time. I have a crazy schedule and two young kids so leisure time is non-existant. My biggest problem is patience. It's difficult to wait so long just to get the Charger and then to have to wait longer and longer to finish it makes it even more difficult. Still, as mentioned before, at least we have a Charger so life isn't too bad. But it takes it's toll in so many other areas of life that it becomes very personal.

I guess you just have to keep at it and pretend you have no deadline for when you want to be finished. Just keep tightening bolts, adjusting this and that and adding new parts and one day you'll wake up with a finished car. My biggest fear is that I'll get so discouraged that I'll just give up half way through the project, and I think the only way to prevent that is to revel in small victories along the way. Don't spread yourself too thin by attacking several areas of the car at once or you won't see measurable progress. Focus on one thing at a time, maybe by way of a priority list, and finish one thing before you start another. I've never heard anyone say that but it seems to make sense to me. ?

CB

Bryan
I had the same thing going on with my 68.
Tiered of it or better didn't know where to start first decided me to sell and look for a driver.
I found the 69 on the board, the one you went to look at, sold everything in my garage (I had a 64 Chebby Impala project too :-[ ) and bought the 69.

I never drove and enjoyed my Charger that much as I'm doing with it now.
It worked out fine for me.

Cheers
Christian
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

AdamMopar

I'm in college as well and when you are in college you don't have anytime to work on a project.  I have not touched my charger hardly since May when I got done with the year.  I always figure plenty of time in the summer but then between work and taking a summer class the car sits on the backburner.  The only good thing is it gives me time to save up some money and get parts that I do need.  I figure when I'm out in a year and half or two years it will still be waiting for me.  I look forward to that time.  Good luck. Adam

NHCharger

Kinda funny, I bought my 72 Charger from a college kid because he didn't realize what a money pit these things are. From what I have found with my two Chargers is no matter how good you are at figuring out the total cost of doing your car, add 35-50%. As the others mentioned, step away for a while. During x-mas break try to  pick a course of action to take. You could always sell all your cars and parts and buy yourself a nice 3rd gen driver(the coolest looking cars on the planet) :2thumbs:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

JimShine

In my case the one thing that helps keep away the feelings of being overwhelmed and hopeless is the fact I have a Charger I can enjoy. It is just strong enough to enjoy while the project is worked on and when that car is done, the fun car will start its restoration while the restored car is enjoyed. It is an expensive alternative, but it really makes a difference in times when you lay out your last buck or spend a whole weekend working and have no immediate reward to make it feel worthwhile.

RT/SE

If your car is extremely rough, I would sell the car and all the other parts you have that are not in the best condition.  Put the money you get in the bank or some fund and let it collect interest.  Also, as time goes on throw whatever money you can spare into the pot.  Now when you are ready, go out look for the most solid Charger you can find.  By most solid I mean Charger with the least amount of rust.  I see it happen all the time, someone will go out and buy a rustbucket for little money thinking they will come out ahead in the end.  That rarely happens.  Rust + Sheetmetal + Labor for Paint/Bodywork = $$$$$$$$$$$
Unless yoiu have the ability to do the work yourself or know someone you can trust who will give you a sweetheart deal, then in my opinion you are better off paying up front for a solid car. 

Spartan

I was there before.   My 383 went to hell near my graduation time from college.   After getting a job, married, kids, and moving away from where my car is, it took me 14 years to get back to her.   I couldn't do much with her because I would get really frustrated doing a half-assed job on it.   It is my pride and joy. Now I am gonzo's doing stuff to it and I have the patience and experience to do more myself then I would have way back when.   Keep you car, walk away for a bit and get to it when you can.   The biggest thing is you have one and they aren't getting any cheaper.   You can do it, priorities first, get your degree and get a job, then you can get it done the way you want to.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

PocketThunder

The only thing you should be worried about right now is laying down the booty :yesnod:.  You're not gonna be hanging out with 20 year old college girls all your life so get the best of it while you can.  You should be in the bars at least 3 nights a week and when you graduate and get a job you can afford* to hire out the work on your car and get it done in that first year. 

PT

* that is if you dont get married and have kids right away...  :icon_smile_blackeye:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Brock Samson

back when i was doing mine,.. My major source of insperation was going to car shows,.. The Oakland Grand National Roadster Show In particular...
New issues of Hi-performance Mopar sometimes worked too...

chargervert

I would sell them to someone who wants a project,and buy a southern,or a western driver,so you don't have to deal with the rust issues,you are always better off to start with the best body you can find within your price range!There are still some deals out there!

six-tee-nine

The best you can do is sit trough the winter en go to a meeting next summer once you're there ou'lle see all the other cars standing there and then yo'll say.....some day when my Charger is Finished it 'll be over here too and it will look awesome, i just know it and by the time you get home, you run towards your garage to go working again......
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...