News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone have photos of the orig.Petty Superbird in VA house.

Started by flash, April 22, 2008, 02:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flash

Anyone have photos of the orig. Petty Superbird in a special  room,added to a house it now
resides in Richmond,VA. Believe his name is Hugh Hawthorne?

Mike.

Aero426

No pics of the car in the house.   But there were some that surfaced from the Petty shop circa 1976 of the trophy room car and a second Bird being worked on / built up in the race shop.  The car shown here is the second car as the poster showed pics of the car in the trophy room during the same visit.  So this car is likely to be the Hawthorne car.

I personally don't believe there are any Petty built Superbirds that have survived in their original configuration without being sold off in 1971 or rebodied into a standard car.   The trophy room car was built up after the fact.   When wing enthusiast George Tamasi visited the King, again about 1976-77, there was conversation about a second Bird being built up with "all the latest tricks".   The trail ended there and you never heard what happened to the second car.   Maybe it was built up from a wreck, or leftover stuff - I don't know.   But again, I believe this is the Hawthorne car from Richmond.

This photo came from the randyayersmodeling.com model car forum.

pettybird

Quote from: DougSchellinger on April 22, 2008, 02:34:37 PM
No pics of the car in the house.   But there were some that surfaced from the Petty shop circa 1976 of the trophy room car and a second Bird being worked on / built up in the race shop.  The car shown here is the second car as the poster showed pics of the car in the trophy room during the same visit.  So this car is likely to be the Hawthorne car.

I personally don't believe there are any Petty built Superbirds that have survived in their original configuration without being sold off in 1971 or rebodied into a standard car.   The trophy room car was built up after the fact.   When wing enthusiast George Tamasi visited the King, again about 1976-77, there was conversation about a second Bird being built up with "all the latest tricks".   The trail ended there and you never heard what happened to the second car.   Maybe it was built up from a wreck, or leftover stuff - I don't know.   But again, I believe this is the Hawthorne car from Richmond.

This photo came from the randyayersmodeling.com model car forum.

I have a pic of me and my dad in '78 after the Daytona meet with a 'bird in the PE shop...which one would that be?

CornDogsCharger

I have an old stock car type magazine that has a picture of the crew building the cage in a white body 'Bird shell.  I will have to dig it out.  I just moved within the year and most of my magazines are still boxed up.  It's a B&W pic but still pretty cool.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Aero426

CornDogsCharger

That's the picture I have!  Thanks Doug

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

wingcar builder

If I'm not mistaken, the 2 video set that came out in 1992 for petty's farwell tour ( also came with a 1/64th scale RC superbird) had the guy on there being interviewed and the car was behind him in the shot as he was telling about Petty giving him the car. ~ WcB