News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 kick down problems

Started by tdaver, May 07, 2008, 10:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdaver

Hi folks,

I have a 1966 727 tranny connected to my 1966 440ci.  I rebuilt the tranny myself with a shift improver kit from B&M.  The kickdown is operated by a Lokar cable from a Holley carb.  I have adjusted the cable and it shifts firmly through all gears.  I have put several thousand miles on it with no trouble.  Using a TCI torque converter.

The problem is that it won't kick down when I punch it.  If I tighten the kickdown cable, I can get it to kick down but then it won't properly shift from 2nd to 3rd gear.  It just really wants to stay in second.  I have heard that the Lokar cable system doesn't work too well and that I should try something else.  I have also heard that the 1966 had kickdown troubles too.  I am willing to spend some money on a good kickdown cable and if necessary, change internal parts to make it right.  I just don't know where to start and I want to make sure that there isn't something I have missed before I put money into it unnecessarily.  Could I need a different ratio kick down lever?  Could I have the band tension set incorrectly?

Any advice?

John_Kunkel

The problem with the Lokar is that it's generic in nature, there are too many combinations of carbs and transmission levers to allow it to work correctly in all installations. The trick to getting it to work correctly is to match the full travel of the carb attach point to the full travel of the transmission lever attach point; this usually requires drilling a new hole in the transmission lever because the levers are too long.

A better cable setup is available from Bouchillon, it has carb brackets and trans levers that are matched.

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEtkdc.asp
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

As an aside John, do you know if the one Mancini sells is a Lokar or a Bouchillon?  I ask because I bought mine from them and I've always thought it was a Lokar unit that they had repackaged but I've never run into the generic issues you indicate.

tdaver

Hi John,

Nice finding you here!  You have helped me before over on MoparChat. I had heard good things about the unit from Bouchillon and may give it a try.  It looks like what they really have that will make the most difference is the carb linkage adaptor with more travel and possibly a shorter lever on the tranny.  I am going to give it a try.  Just curious though.  Let's say that I put the new cable on and still have trouble.  Is there anything else (I am thinking of the band tensions) that could be set incorrectly causing trouble too?  I suspect not because it does shift well through the gears, just no kickdown.

John_Kunkel

Mancini repackages the Lokar.

Lack of kickdown is very common with the Lokar, the problem is mismatched travel of the carb and trans; if you adjust the cable to achieve kickdown the light throttle shifts are way late.

Have someone sit in the car and floor the throttle, then push back on the carb levewr to make sure it's going to WOT. If it is going wide open crawl under the car and push back on the upper lever, if it travels back more than 1/4" with the carb wide open there is a mismatch in the travel.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

tdaver

Hi folks,

Just wanted to report an easy fix.  After reading John's post, I took the kickdown lever off and drilled a hole in it about 1/4" or so closer to the tranny.  I used this hole with the Lokar cable and adjusted the cable.  It kicks down now and shifts great for the first time ever!  For the record, I am using a Holley 770cmf street avenger carb.  It is the 4150 type  and I have the Lokar throttle and kickdown cables and bracket.

Thanks for the advice!

cjvan

Im in the same boat (pre-mod-fix). By any chance can you show me a picture or measure for me the actual measurments of where you relocated that ballstud fitting on the trans kickdown lever arm? it would help me greatly!!! I mean i only made this account just to ask you this question lol... thanks in advance!

I have a 1967 Belvedere II with a 440 and I have the same lokar bracket with lokar throttle and kickdown cables, so I also have the loss of cable travel at the carb/kickdown cable connection as well.