News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 Charger Seat Restoration

Started by PocketThunder, May 07, 2008, 09:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

Here is a "How To" on restoring your '68 Charger front seats..

Picture 1:  Order new seat covers and seat foam from A1 Canvas. 
Picture 2:  Take the bolts out that hold the upper seats to the lower seat.
Picture 3:  The square nut on the back came loose so i had to get in there with a vise grips to hold it while i turned the bolt out.  This nut will get welded back on.
Picture 4:  Take the hog rings off the old crusty seat covers and discard.  What a mess!  :icon_smile_blackeye:

I'm going to bed now.  Follow along tomorrow night for phase two.

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger-Bodie

Looks like a great time Paul! Take you're time and it will come out cherry!  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

charger01

Finn

Ill be doing this in a few weeks, thanks for the how-to!
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

PocketThunder

So this morning I took the 68 for a drive down to my friends house out in the country so i could use his sand blaster to clean up my seat frames.  They were a little rusty so i wanted to clean them up and make them look nice.  So i was sandblasting away and looked up and my car was gone.  My friend was mowing his lawn while i was blasting and i had parked my 68 on part of his lawn and in order for him to mow that area he had to move my car, which involved a trip around the block i guess.. hahaha  :drive:

So, as of tonight, i have the seat frames cleaned up and painted, the new Legendary Foam on, and the PUI Interiors new seat covers on.  It was pretty easy and i'm ready to install the seats tomorrow after i get new bolts for the seat frames. 

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

Needa68

I thought the seats in my Coronet were in bad shape but I believe the seats from your Charger were worse. I'm now working on a 68 Charger for my son.

http://geocities.com/robertmitchell32000/CHARGER/TheMitchells68Charger.html

The seats from the Charger are in sad shape. It appears I get the joy of doing all this again.

RHM, Jr.
Drive fast, make the light.

The Mitchell & Mitchell 1968 Dodge Restorations

http://www.68dodgerestorations.com

Finn

Do you know where the A-B seam is on the FST?
Or where the 2x5 muslim strip goes?
When I read the directions I see the A-B seam being on each side where the sides fold over and tuck in, but if that were true Id need both 2x5 strips for just one seat.
I have enough scrap to muslim to cut more but it seems like I shouldn't have to.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L