News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona In Australia! - Chryslers on the Murray 2020

Started by Tim L, May 17, 2008, 01:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAY CLONA

Quote from: CudaJames69 on March 22, 2012, 12:03:47 AM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on March 21, 2012, 05:59:53 AM
  He is actually glad seeing the car get done right . Also makes him think about the guys that looked at it for him & told him everything needed to be replaced & these guys fixed it all .

I seen Tom drag this car  all over the east coast and midwest for what seemed decades, talked with him a few times regarding either purchase or "rebuilding" it, and while yes it was restorable, and Tom had amassed quite a few parts, Tom wanted to try and maintain the car's originality, somewhat...Back in the day we restored cars like the way Tim and his  crew did, we had to, parts for Chrysler were scarce, new or used, and something as limited, like a Daytona only complicated issues further,..Tim on the other hand is handicapped by the fact he's 17,000+ miles away from the US, American cars are few and far between, nevermind 69 Daytona's, plus Australia has always been starved for American cars, parts, new or used, even shipping new repro sheetmetal over is cost prohibitive,...so Aussies have adapted just like early American Craftsman,...you ain't got no spare parts!, so you learn to fix what you have!

Although Tom asked me at various times if I was interested in "restoring" the Daytona, the amount of work need to "save" the original shell, and return it back to original would have produced an ASTRONOMICAL labour bill,...far more than Tom had budgeted, so the alternative was repro/clean used sheetmetal substituted to keep the project within budget, even then still a sizable amount of $$$$$ needed to invest in a project like this, plus I'm sure as Tom can agree, as well as others, projects like this, start "snowballing" big time, dollar wise, and one soon finds themselves in the dilemma, do I dump more money into it?, or do I cut my losses and sell it?.....

I will say Tim and Crew did an AWESOME job of bringing the car back from the dead, no small task, dollar wise, or man hour wise, a ton of effort....more than I would have wanted to put into that car, even if the customer could have afforded it,..........had I bought it I would have merely "re-bodied" it, and been done with it, but the asking price was prohibitive, in that it would have only yielded a small amount of parts to dollar value invested to qualify it as a good re-body" canidate IMHO

Mike

Mike

I'm just going by what Tom & I spoke about . I don't know who he spoke with , or prices .

Someone somewhere told it couldn't be saved & everything had to be replaced  . :shruggy:

It certainly was not a dig at you guys . The cars you put out are phenominal .  :2thumbs: :drool5:

Oh I know you implied nothing towards anyone,  :cheers: I know Tom talked to quite a few guys about restoring that car, as it was indeed a "project", and it was always a discussion piece among the wingcar guys as to how and if it was restorable, and how much to try and save....those Aussie guys were really determined though thru out the restoration process :2thumbs:

Mike

Tim L

Five days of assembly and this is where we're at: We've got an older Gear Vendors O/D unit which is somewhat larger in the housing than Troy's one was, slight massaging of the tunnel and a modified cross member and now it sits down around 3/4" lower than originally and fitting snug. The pan on the OD does hang down a long way (see photo) but we'll address that shortly. Dash is pretty much assembled just awaiting installation, radio will be in but not connected.. The eyebrow? trims around the backside are now sporting green underneath them so, no more sleepless nights :nana:

The headliner has been been installed by a member on here, dodgey68, so hats off to him he has a trim business in Bendigo central Victoria, Dantrim. He does some very nice work he also made us a parcel shelf matt which looks superb. Thanks for taking the time to come and do that!

Sunday was the local swap meet so we had steady roll of visitors throughout the day, was good to catch up. Jamie and Darrin the two blown 68 brothers (not in a weird way) came by Sunday to check on progress, only Jamie had his charger there so I snapped up a couple of photos of that. A friend has just had a 72 Cuda land which has been a long time coming so congrats to him on that.

There's more, but I'm in a hurry, enjoy.

Tim.
JS23N0E
BS23H1B
XX29L9B381541

Tim L

JS23N0E
BS23H1B
XX29L9B381541

Tim L

JS23N0E
BS23H1B
XX29L9B381541

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

WINGIN IT

Gawgeous  :2thumbs:

Did a double take on the roo ...  :o
Is that a pet? ( noticed a collar) ...  :shruggy:

Tim L

Yeah the roo is a pet we've had her for about 12 years, there was two originally, but one was killed by a dog early on. She swings by the house normally of an evening for a little snack. Before anyone asks, having a pet roo is about as common as having a 69 Daytona parked in your shed.

Tim
JS23N0E
BS23H1B
XX29L9B381541

moparstuart

Quote from: Tim L on April 02, 2012, 04:06:12 PM
Yeah the roo is a pet we've had her for about 12 years, there was two originally, but one was killed by a dog early on. She swings by the house normally of an evening for a little snack. Before anyone asks, having a pet roo is about as common as having a 69 Daytona parked in your shed.

Tim
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  i figured everyone had one    :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: moparstuart on April 02, 2012, 04:11:14 PM

Tim
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  i figured everyone had one    :icon_smile_big:

Thats funny sheit right there!

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Tim L

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 02, 2012, 04:31:27 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on April 02, 2012, 04:11:14 PM

Tim

Thats funny sheit right there!

You'd be surprised what people think..
JS23N0E
BS23H1B
XX29L9B381541

WINGIN IT

I think Indy likes little dancing dogs, but that's beside the point ... :smilielol:  :icon_smile_big:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

dodgey68

thank you tim and fast john, it was a pleasure, i enjoy calling in over there
if ya need any other help dont hesitate to ask,
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

Tim L

Quote from: dodgey68 on April 04, 2012, 03:15:49 AM

thank you tim and fast john, it was a pleasure, i enjoy calling in over there
if ya need any other help dont hesitate to ask,

I think I speak for me and the old man, welcome anytime mate!

Thanks again.
JS23N0E
BS23H1B
XX29L9B381541

Rolling_Thunder

OK - two things...   that Kangaroo is awesome. 

Also - give me the info on that 68 Charger's rear wheels.  I spy some tall / wide tires on the rear while still using the 14" wheel covers.   :shruggy:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

djcarguy

daytona is coming along great,looks awesome,but are those roo tracks on the new head liner??  hahahah cute roo too. wing cars rule and stir the mind ,,thanks for saving that ride.dj up ,,above ????? opp of down under?? west coast? :popcrn: :drool5: :2thumbs:

Tim L

Some new, some old. It's never to late to introduce the two men who are responsible for breathing new life into the body of this once again green machine. Occa (glasses) and Craig (flannel shirt) are the men seen in these photos which were taken a while back. I didn't manage to capture them in action but got these off dad tonight...

The "Daytona" bumble bee stripe was fitted Monday and looks fantastic, this was done by Ryan Ford of 'Chopped' magazine. You can check him out doing his thing here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPJRTb5UPT4

The magazine here:

www.chopped.com.au

A while back a Daytona fender popped up on ebay courtesy of Mr Norms, it was aquired for around $200 and arrived recently. While rough, it is what it is....

Not a great deal to report but, a little more will happen this weekend.

Tim.
JS23N0E
BS23H1B
XX29L9B381541

Tim L

JS23N0E
BS23H1B
XX29L9B381541

earnie

beautiful work going on there gentlemen

bigfastjohn

Thankyou Ernie and everyone else who has complimented the job  it appreciated by all involved :cheers:

Tim L

First of all thanks for the compliments DJcarguy, Earnie etc   :cheers:

Trying to find the owner of the Daytona, it appears I have exhausted yet another avenue... I spoke with Don Klumpp this morning who lived nearby the Daytona (1976-1979) and he recalls the crashed Daytona sitting besides a house for about 3 years. He knows a few people who remember the car but no one seems to know who owned it. It was on the left hand side of the 152 as you headed north out of Chalfont PA, on the outskirts of the township. I'm really stumped as where to go from now.. Perhaps a long term/retired Police officer? Any ideas?

Tim.
JS23N0E
BS23H1B
XX29L9B381541

XS29J8

Have you tried searching for a Police Report either Local PD, County Sheriff, State Police all should have it in an archive some where. You have done a true Magic Trick bringing this Daytona back to life!  :2thumbs:
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

nascarxx29

I tried the PA newspapers no luck
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

earnie

any new updates on this beautiful car
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: