News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New noise in my Charger/440/727....

Started by TonyN, May 18, 2008, 10:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyN

Hello all...

(my usual disclaimer: very new to this, engines, transmissions, etc.  Bought a 69 Charger cause I always wanted one, and am 'learning everything as I go'...)

I got the car out of storage this weekend, and a noise that first appeared driving it the storage place is still happening.

The specifics: last October/November, I drove it out of town to store it at a friends barn/storage.  I took it on the highway for the first time since I have owned it (I usually just cruise around the city).  About 3/4 of the way there, a strange 'ping pongy' sound started to happen.  I stored the car, and enjoyed another Canadian winter.

I got it out this weekend, and drove it home.  No problems at all, until I got up to 'highway speeds' again, and the noise started.  It did not start until I got up to about 50 MPH.  However, once it started, it continued all the time after that, no matter what speed I was going, and even when I was sitting idleling.

I parked it at home, went in and got something, came out and drove it again.  The noise did not reappear (however, it was a short drive, at city speeds).  I am going to fully assume though that once I get it going 'fast' again, it will reappear.

More info: nothing seems to be affected.  Drives the same, changes gears the same, accelerates the same.

Description of sound: this is very difficult to do via text, however...the best I can describe it is:

- rainwater hitting an empty barrel
and/or
- a metal cable 'flapping' against a piece of metal.
and/or
- a metal ball bearing dropped on a piece of metal (like a xylophone).    With this example, it isn't as 'harsh' as it sounds in text...

There is no 'rhythm' to the sounds.  Also, while it sometimes appears to 'increase' with the speed of the car, I wouldn't say this is an all-the-time certainty.  It's not terribly loud.

It sounds like the noise is coming from the area just under, and to the right, of my feet.

The engine is a '71 440, and really hasn't been worked on.  The transmission was putting in 'roughly' by the previous owner, and is next on the list of fixes.

One thing that is in my head, that may not mean anything: I put 'the stuff you put in gastanks for winter storage' in the tank, but may not have had enough gas in to adequately cover the 'ratio' they mentioned on the container.  Also, it regularly gets filled up and drained as I go...gas usually doesn't sit in it for long...

If I can elaborate on anything, let me know...

Thanks,

TN

charger Downunder

Check the exchaust heat riser flap on the exchaust manifold.Happy hunting.
[/quote]

UFO

If it's under your feet,Check that the speedo cable is not flopping around.Highway speeds would be enough air flow to move it.

TonyN

Thanks for the answers so far...I wanted to repeat something in the original post, though...the noise happens while sitting (idleing) at a light...

UFO

Don't go more than 50 ever again and it will not reappear.

41husk

If the noise gets worse the more it runs, you may have wiped a crank bearing, my 72 440 is in the machine shop now :brickwall:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

firefighter3931

How hot is the motor running ? Preignition/detonation perhaps ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1969RTSE

I agree with Firefighter... my '69 is a little out of tune (it sits alot in the garage), and I sometimes get a little pre-ignition/detonation that sounds similar - it may sound like its coming from underneath your right foot because that's where the LH exhaust routes (at least on mine).  If it does it while idling at a light, does it also appear when idling in Park?  If so, get out and listen - you'll be able to tell if its coming from the exhaust or not.

I also get a noise from my LH header rubbing against my steering column - but that is more of a tick, can be felt through the steering wheel, and definitely follows the engine rpm.

Good luck - figuring out what's wrong is half the fun.

Mark

TonyN

Well, I thought I would give you all a little head-shake today...I found the 'ping' source.  Turns out one of the bolts holding the alternator had come lose, and was being hit by the fan spinning...very exciting.  It would come out, get hit, and get pushed in...it would then work its way out again...

Tony

Hemidog

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T