News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got the original radiator rebuilt

Started by bull, May 19, 2008, 07:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

It seems to be getting harder and harder to find places that can (or will) rebuild the old bucket header radiators commonly found on the '68 and older Mopars but I finally found a local guy who could fix my original 22" 4-speed unit. I'd say "restore" instead of "fix" but since he didn't actually take any dings out of the top tank... :flame: I was originally quoted $550 by a another reputible shop but they weren't sure they were up to the task and wanted to ship it off to who-knows-where to see if there was a core that could be attached to the top tank. I wasn't too thrilled about the idea of my radiator leaving town on a UPS truck so I called a local restoration shop who told me about a guy in the next town over who could do it. I generally avoided this place before because it's a nasty mess (and I have a thing about car shops that are nasty messes) but they said they could do it and they did. It wasn't cheap though I can tell you that much. They took it from the original two-row core out to a high capacity three-row and were still able to use my original sides and both tanks so that's good. The only thing different (other than the core being an inch thicker) is that the header looks a little different but once it's bolted in place no one will know unless they reach down and feel it. I didn't want to run an aftermarket aluminum because I prefer the stock look and I don't want to feel obligated to store a bunch of the original parts for the rest of eternity.

Here's a few before/after pics:

rav440

looks good  :2thumbs: i have to get mine done  ::) i dont need the extra row put in but its not in the best of shape either it took a had hit when the runner slid off of the floor jack  :brickwall: the tanks have about a 1/2" arch to them  :brickwall: but im going to see if the radiator guy can fix it .
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

bull

Quote from: rav440 on May 19, 2008, 04:31:45 PM
looks good  :2thumbs: i have to get mine done  ::) i dont need the extra row put in but its not in the best of shape either it took a had hit when the runner slid off of the floor jack  :brickwall: the tanks have about a 1/2" arch to them  :brickwall: but im going to see if the radiator guy can fix it .

I wouldn't hesistate to get a higher capacity core, especially if your core needs to be replaced anyway. It's better to have too much cooling capacity than not enough.

firefighter3931

Looks great Curtis !   :2thumbs:

That should keep things nice and cool   :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bull

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 19, 2008, 07:08:51 PM
Looks great Curtis !   :2thumbs:

That should keep things nice and cool   :icon_smile_big:

Ron

I hope. It's bound to do a much better job than the stock setup. :yesnod:

tommymac

I had the same thing done to my 68 2 row Rad.He got a 3 row core from a rad rebuilder place in Freeport Maine  I paid about 550 for the job,Best thing I ever did,New motor runs real cool,even in mid day sun,160-170 all day,I couldnt belive all the crap inside my old one,NO WONDER!!

bull

Quote from: tommymac on May 21, 2008, 09:31:22 PM
I had the same thing done to my 68 2 row Rad.He got a 3 row core from a rad rebuilder place in Freeport Maine  I paid about 550 for the job,Best thing I ever did,New motor runs real cool,even in mid day sun,160-170 all day,I couldnt belive all the crap inside my old one,NO WONDER!!

Mine was on the shelf, hasn't been in my car for years, but when I took it in there was a bunch of dog food inside the tanks that mice had apparently stored. :rotz: They put it in my deck lid too. Now I feed them D-con. :icon_smile_big:

rav440

Quote from: bull on May 19, 2008, 06:37:12 PM
Quote from: rav440 on May 19, 2008, 04:31:45 PM

I wouldn't hesistate to get a higher capacity core, especially if your core needs to be replaced anyway. It's better to have too much cooling capacity than not enough.

mine is already a 3 core  :2thumbs:

Dans 68

Hang onto those #2898043 radiators that originally came with the '68 383 4-speed cars. They are rare and getting rarer...I just paid $400 for one that was already re-cored, and I feel very fortunate.... :P Just don't ask my wife what she thinks about it.  :brickwall: :RantExplode:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

Quote from: Dans 68 on November 07, 2008, 01:21:14 PM
Hang onto those #2898043 radiators that originally came with the '68 383 4-speed cars. They are rare and getting rarer...I just paid $400 for one that was already re-cored, and I feel very fortunate.... :P Just don't ask my wife what she thinks about it.  :brickwall: :RantExplode:

Dan

Yea, I was lucky to get the original with my car and I knew they were both too rare to separate. :2thumbs: I'd say $400 is a steal if it's already been recored. Is it a 2-row or 3-row now?

Here, check the price on this one. :o It will make you feel better:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Dart-Barracuda-HEMI-383-Super-Stock-Radiator-033_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ350025732922QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

rav440

Quote from: bull on November 09, 2008, 02:19:30 AM
Quote from: Dans 68 on November 07, 2008, 01:21:14 PM

Dan

Yea, I was lucky to get the original with my car and I knew they were both too rare to separate. :2thumbs: I'd say $400 is a steal if it's already been recored. Is it a 2-row or 3-row now?

Here, check the price on this one. :o It will make you feel better:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Dart-Barracuda-HEMI-383-Super-Stock-Radiator-033_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ350025732922QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

you would think at that price he could throw the shipping in for free .  :icon_smile_big:

Belgium R/T -68

Mine had a #045 in it, is that something to keep? I'm planning to put a 26" in it for my stroker.
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Ghoste

It's a little more common but I'd still hang on to it.

62 Max

I have a friend that has a radiator shop,third generation.Quote from him last year," Any shop that charges more than $350 regardless of core choice and condition when you take it there is giving you the shaft".There are three shops within 30mi of me and they all are at that figure or less.My Max Wedge radiator 4 core $225,Superbird 056 also 4 core $260.Dart 340 22" 3 core $200.All cores match original configuration.All prices + 6% PA sales tax.Shop around.  :Twocents:

Of course,maybe you guys live in the wrong place! :brickwall:

BROCK

Finding a really good radiator shop can easily make it worth the extra money to get what
you want.  The good & reasonably priced shop I use replaces all parts over 20 years of
age; which actually keeps me away from him for my restoration work :brickwall:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

rav440

Quote from: 62 Max on November 09, 2008, 09:38:09 AM
I have a friend that has a radiator shop,third generation.Quote from him last year," Any shop that charges more than $350 regardless of core choice and condition when you take it there is giving you the shaft".There are three shops within 30mi of me and they all are at that figure or less.My Max Wedge radiator 4 core $225,Superbird 056 also 4 core $260.Dart 340 22" 3 core $200.All cores match original configuration.All prices + 6% PA sales tax.Shop around.  :Twocents:

where in PA. do you live ? id like to take my rad there

62 Max

Quote from: rav440 on November 11, 2008, 08:01:14 PM

where in PA. do you live ? id like to take my rad there

Check your messages. :2thumbs:

bull

That's pretty much what I heard too **UNTIL** it was discovered that the 68 and older radiators use what they call a "bucket header" type core. That's when the price went up by $200. :brickwall:

Ghoste

I don't remember any extra charge for anything like that when I got my 67 recored but here in Mayberry it could be that they don't find the older style any more difficult?

bull

Not that this is the truth, and not that the radiator guys' motives are pure as the wind-driven snow, but I was told by more than one of them that the bucket header cores are getting hard to come by. The only reason I believed them is because I asked more than one shop about it and discovered it to be a common theme so unless there is a conspiracy...

The only thing I did find as inconsistant is that one shop told me they couldn't even get a bucket-header core and the next one said they could and could rebuild my radiator for about $100 less than I was quoted by the first place (providing the first shop could find a core). So naturally, having gotten worried I wouldn't find a core, I told the 2nd shop to buy the core and buy it fast and rebuild my radiator.