News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3-1 Downshift

Started by 0X01B8, May 19, 2008, 01:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0X01B8

I must have my trans dialed in about right.   ;) Yesterday I did the good old 'kick-down linkage test.'  Cruising around 35, mash the throttle, instant downshift, tires spinning a bit, engine screaming up through the revs, 2nd gear, another bit of tire spin, ... nice ..., aww hell, lets see how long it stays in 2nd, ... nice ..., okay, I need to be on the brakes pretty soon - you can shift anytime, ... , slam!,  okay, nice, better get on the brakes now.  3rd gear came in around 80 which would put it @ about 5000 revs.  I don't know for sure I was just holding on.  I have a certain place I do this particular test, it's a 3 lane one-way overpass.  There's concrete walls on either side so it sounds loud as hell and plenty safe.  This is my favorite test, really gets the heart going.    :icon_smile_cool:

firefighter3931

Sounds like you've got it dialed in just right:2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

tricky lugnuts

Sounds awesome. Question for you -- it looks by your icon you've got a second gen. I've got a '71 with 440 engine. When I had a 340 in my car I could get the 3-1 downshift like you're saying. Absolutely loved it -- a blast.

Now that I've got the 440 I can only get the 3-2 downshift. (This is at about 35 mph like you say.)

Any ideas why? If I adjust the slider bar -- the kickdown bar, all the way back, that's still all I get. Any suggestions to get my set up working for a 3-1 downshift, or is 3-2 all it should do. Carb throttle seems to be opening all the way and the trans kickdown lever seems to be moving all the way back at full throttle. I know your second gen kickdown set up is probably different, but...

Any insights appreciated.

0X01B8

My old beater Barracuda had a one piece on it and I never messed around with it, mainly because the motor/trans was crapped out and not worth kicking down anyway, but that's another story.  The 68 style is a 3 piece which has 2 horizontal bars and 1 vertical.  I'm no expert but IMO it's a much nicer setup and worth changing to it, if possible.

John_Kunkel

The 3-1 downshift depends on the governor configuration and the axle ratio, some combinations won't kickdown to 1st unless going real slow.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.