News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electroluminescent Gauges

Started by 66Coronet440, May 20, 2008, 09:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66Coronet440

Was wondering what it would take to put the dash/gauges from a '66-'67 Charger into my 1966 Coronet 500?  Would I have to modify anything significantly enough that I couldn't easily put it back to stock?  I've always loved the electroluminescent gauges in the Chargers, I think they would look sweet in my Coronet... 

Ghoste

The cluster won't readily bolt into the Coronet dash frame.  The Charger dash frame has the lower edges rounded to fit the guage pods.  If you can get around that stumbling block, it's largely just a matter of wiring it in there.

66Coronet440

Has anyone done this before? If I were to do it, I would want to be able to talk to someone who has done it... There's got to be someone.

Ghoste

You might try asking at the Coronet Registry or the 66-67 Charger forum but it's sure one I've never heard of before.

dadstoy66

You would also need a el powerpack to light up the gauges and a tach sending unit if you want a factory tach. You would need a dash shell from a 66-67 Charger. The charger shell and the dash pad size are different for a charger.

Ghoste

Unless you use the 67 tach and then the sender is in the tach.

kab69440

Quote from: 66Coronet440 on May 21, 2008, 01:07:00 PM
Has anyone done this before? If I were to do it, I would want to be able to talk to someone who has done it... There's got to be someone.

I wouldn't bet on it. God forbid that something "incorrect" might ever be installed in/on a Mopar B-body.  Wouldn't want to hurt the value of our investments now, would we?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Ghoste

This case I think is less about hurting investment than it is about practicality.  As mentioned above, it can be done but it isn't as simple as just bolting the Charger cluster in place of the Coronet one and hooking up a wire.

66Coronet440

I'm not worried about hurting the value of my car, I'm just not capable of any major fabrication and it's not worth the money to have it done by someone else... I'll probably end up making a custom gauge pod that will bolt in...  :shruggy: Thanks for the info guys.  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Or...

you could just sell the Coronet and buy a 1966 Charger.  Then you would have one of those really cool fastback 1st gens with the full length console and fold down rear compartment, hideaway headlights, full wwidth taillights and best of all, it would already have the el interior lighting installed.  :coolgleamA:

66Coronet440

Quote from: Ghoste on May 23, 2008, 07:50:55 AM
Or...

you could just sell the Coronet and buy a 1966 Charger.  Then you would have one of those really cool fastback 1st gens with the full length console and fold down rear compartment, hideaway headlights, full wwidth taillights and best of all, it would already have the el interior lighting installed.  :coolgleamA:
That would work... But I'm on a limited budget, and I probably couldn't get crap for my Coronet in the state it's in right now... Besides, it was my first car and I Love it...  :boogie:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Ghoste on May 23, 2008, 07:50:55 AM
Or...

:iagree: LOL

otherwise

why not try to fit the COMPLETE dash and not just the cluster ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

Then you'd lose out on all the other cool 1st gen Charger features though.   :METAL:

66Coronet440

So if I swap in the whole dash it would work?  Would it be a bolt in procedure or would I have to do some fabrication?  And how much would I have to spend to get my hands on the whole dash for a 66 Charger?

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 66Coronet440 on May 25, 2008, 05:46:00 PM
So if I swap in the whole dash it would work?

I think so :shruggy:

Quote from: 66Coronet440 on May 25, 2008, 05:46:00 PM
And how much would I have to spend to get my hands on the whole dash for a 66 Charger?

that's the mistery part of this
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Brock Samson

i dunno about mystery but i bet there's a whole heck of alot of misery...  :lol:

66Coronet440

Quote from: Brock Samson on May 25, 2008, 11:26:30 PM
i dunno about mystery but i bet there's a whole heck of alot of misery...  :lol:
I was afraid of that...

Nacho-RT74

well, if we think that IN FIRST INSTANCE will be hard to find JUST A DASH FRAME than a complete car

Ghoste

Finding a dash frame and instruments isn't overly hard, edpending on where you look.  You'd have better luck perusing the want ads at the 66-67 forum than most anywhere else.  Prices are going to vary widely so I can't even begin to give you an estimate.  1st gen Chargers used to be one of the best kept secrets in the old Mopar hobby with a real dedicated network of people who would help out with parts very affordably just because they loved the cars so much.  Lately though, it seems like I am running into more and more guys all the time with fastback parts that figure since it says Mopar on it, it has to be worth hundreds of gazillions of dollars.

ITSA426

It's really not that hard but you gotta be sure it's something you really want to do.  I've seen it before.  You need the entire Charger dash but they're easy enough to find.  The windshield has to come out to change it.  A '67 dash set up would be a little easier because of the tach and hood release issues.  A '67 wiring harness will make it easier. 

You need the Charger dash pad if you're going to drive in the dark.  You could also install the Charger grille set up to get a nice effect on the shoebox body.  If you're near MN I've got most of the pieces and expertise to get you through it.

I'm trying to talk myself into doing it to my Coronet but I've got a lot of projects ahead of that.  The EL Charger dash is the prettiest one I've seen at night.

dadstoy66

Quote from: Ghoste on May 27, 2008, 06:36:42 PM
Finding a dash frame and instruments isn't overly hard, edpending on where you look.  You'd have better luck perusing the want ads at the 66-67 forum than most anywhere else.  Prices are going to vary widely so I can't even begin to give you an estimate.  1st gen Chargers used to be one of the best kept secrets in the old Mopar hobby with a real dedicated network of people who would help out with parts very affordably just because they loved the cars so much.  Lately though, it seems like I am running into more and more guys all the time with fastback parts that figure since it says Mopar on it, it has to be worth hundreds of gazillions of dollars.
I agree have been seeing the same thing. IMO it is the best under priced Mopar out there right now for a complete car. But buy one that needs restored and start buying stuff for it. It realy can cost a lot. :Twocents: