News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3 speaker dash available in '68?

Started by challenger70, June 02, 2008, 10:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

challenger70

I added a 3 speaker dash to my Challenger when I got the dash recoverd was there an option like that available on '68 Chargers?  If not what do you guys do to get a true stereo effect in front?
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

Nacho-RT74

E bodies got full of audio options, but not B bodies on any year ( not even 3rd gens )

just one front speaker and MAYBE IN SOME CASES double rear speaker
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

69CoronetRT

Quote from: challenger70 on June 02, 2008, 10:46:34 AM
I added a 3 speaker dash to my Challenger when I got the dash recoverd was there an option like that available on '68 Chargers? 

Yes; with the AM-8 track
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on June 02, 2008, 12:07:23 PM
E bodies got full of audio options, but not B bodies on any year ( not even 3rd gens )

2nd gen B bodies did have this option (3 speaker dash) :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

challenger70

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 02, 2008, 12:54:15 PM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on June 02, 2008, 12:07:23 PM

2nd gen B bodies did have this option (3 speaker dash) :Twocents:

Is it something I can add to a non 3 speaker dash, what all would I need to do and get as far as grills, etc...  I would want it to be factory appearing.
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger

JimShine

The factory equipped cars had an additional amp for the extra speakers. If you have rear speakers as well, in 1968 you would have a fader knob right next to the radio.

challenger70

Quote from: JimShine on June 02, 2008, 03:58:45 PM
The factory equipped cars had an additional amp for the extra speakers. If you have rear speakers as well, in 1968 you would have a fader knob right next to the radio.

I guess I wasn't very clear on my "factory appearing" comment.  What I want ot do is use the factory grills/ location /sizes but with aftermarket speakers and head unit.  So other than the head unit and possibly seeing aftermarket speakers through the grills it will look factory.   The factory stuff is LONG gone.  does someone have a picture of the 3 speaker setup on a '68?  What I would do is use the outside 2 on the 3 speaker setup and the 2 rears along with a sub and amps in the trunk.  Just trying to figure out what would be needed to add a 3 speaker dash setup to a non-original 3 speaker dash car.
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger

JimShine

I posted pics of a car I had with them in a related thread in this section. They had a specific metal grille.

BTW, I posted more info than you personally requested  as these threads are read by others, often using the search feature. I like to insert usefull info so they can find answers using that function. So now someone searching 3 speaker dashes looking for detailed info will read that an amp is required in the stock configuration.

challenger70

Quote from: JimShine on June 02, 2008, 04:12:23 PM
I posted pics of a car I had with them in a related thread in this section. They had a specific metal grille.

BTW, I posted more info than you personally requested  as these threads are read by others, often using the search feature. I like to insert usefull info so they can find answers using that function. So now someone searching 3 speaker dashes looking for detailed info will read that an amp is required in the stock configuration.

Great I actually saw that and wasn't sure that was an option on 68's :2thumbs:
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger