News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Rebuild HOT STREET!!!

Started by Charger_Martin, June 11, 2008, 05:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_Martin

Im willing to get what I need so cash is not the problem in a way.

Yes, new pistons. The engine is 30 over already, do I need more?

Steath heads, lunati 60302 is what I should go for? I guess I will after what you all have said.

And then lifters,pistons,gasket kit,maybe valve seats?, and more?

A friend of mine told me that the stealth heads does not come complete?

Musicman

Quote from: Charger_Martin on July 01, 2008, 05:17:58 AM
Im willing to get what I need so cash is not the problem in a way.

Yes, new pistons. The engine is 30 over already, do I need more?

Steath heads, lunati 60302 is what I should go for? I guess I will after what you all have said.

And then lifters,pistons,gasket kit,maybe valve seats?, and more?

A friend of mine told me that the stealth heads does not come complete?

Your engine is 30 over already... NO you do not need to go bigger.

YES, Stealth heads can be purchased complete... 440source part #200-1053
Head Gaskets are sold individually #112-1004 (2 required), or as part of a complete engine gasket kit #112-1000

Cam can be purchased with stock lifters as a kit from Summit #LUN60302LK
or if you want the better lifters you can purchase the items seperately.
Cam - LUN60302
Micro-Trol Lifters - LUN71977

Charger_Martin

That sounds great, anyone agree? Should I go for it? Will the engine be around 400-450 hp?

Heads,gasket kit,cam,lifters.

Is the ROL's head gaskets the same as the normal head gasket that 440source sells?

SeattleCharger

That's what I love about this site, well, other things too, but you can get specific knowledgeble answers to your questions.  If these guys are telling you the best way to go on parts,  build plan, giving exact parts numbers, details, etc.,  heck man, consider that a gold mine, go for it  :2thumbs:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Musicman

Quote from: Charger_Martin on July 01, 2008, 07:50:27 AM

Is the ROL's head gaskets the same as the normal head gasket that 440source sells...?

The ROL's gasket is the one that 440source sells for their heads... it's the ROL HG31130HT... as was already stated.
Quote from: Musicman on June 29, 2008, 05:44:54 PM
Since you have decided to go with the Stealth heads.... Be sure to order the ROL's head gaskets that 440source sells to go with them... This is a necessity as far as I'm concerned. The larger bore diameter of the ROL gasket is better suited to the Stealth head, and a requirement in some cases.

Side items like the 10 degree locks & keepers, and anti-pump lifters do add a small amount to the cost of the build, and it's true that they may not be a requirement in this instance, but they do go a long way toward peace of mind if you can afford them.

You should really go back through and read some of the posts to make sure that you have all of your ducks in a row before moving forward.
What headers do you have?
What intake are you going to use?
What carburetor, etc,etc,etc?
A little planning up front will save you a lot of headaches and help prevent avoidable issues from arising during your build. In other words, don't start running a race if you don't know where the finish line is.

Charger_Martin

This is what its going to be:

440 stealth heads from 440source.

Lunati Voodoo Camshafts (60302)
Camshaft, 3-Bolt, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 262/ 268, Lift .475/ .494, Mopar, Big Block, Each

Is this the cam I should use or could I get the 60303 or would it be too much? Just read something about this cam so wanted to ask. Or will this wake up the engine enough? (I already have a mopar purple cam)

Lunati Micro-Trol Hydraulic Lifters
Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Chrysler/ Dodge/ Plymouth, Set of 16

Also got some other new parts, which I have used 3 weeks so its almost new:

Holley street dominator intake
Holley 750 cfm (3310s) carb
Flowmaster 3" exhaust with aero chambers.
727 automatic transmission with stock converter (around 1800-2500 stall)
Msd digital 6 box with mopar distributor
Gear: 3:54
K&N filter and base

What do you guys think? Will it gain some Horsepowers when the new heads and cam is installed? Around 450 or less?

SeattleCharger

I don't know, but the intake and carb and exhaust and headers and the ignition and also the lower rear gears, all of that says to me go with the bigger cam if you are deciding between those two cams,  the only thing may be the stall converter is a bit small, I don't know, if its 2500 that should be fine

Musicman

When you started this thread you said you were looking to rebuild a 440 for a 69 Charger. You wanted 500 - 550 hp, but you only had $4000 to spend. You were told by many individuals that your aspirations were higher than your budget, but that we could maybe shoe you into a real nice 450 hp build. It had been assumed that the block was an original 69 440, but now near the end we find out that it has been rebuilt and bored 30 over at some point in the past. Furthermore, we are just now finding out that you already have a Street Dominator intake, Holley 750 carb, Magnum cam, etc...Would have been nice to know this stuff up front, as all of these parts must work together as a whole for a successful build. I also see that the restrictive $4000 budget has flown the coop as well, and money is no longer an issue.
:brickwall:

Charger_Martin

Didnt really think about the parts that I had. Sorry about that. Would you consider other parts for my 440 instead?

A couple of friends tells me that I should get the edelbrock rpm heads instead of the 440stealth, in case it wont fit???

Should I get another cam or heads?

Sorry for not telling you about the parts and all. Thats how much I know about building a motor:)

G-man

Charger martin, 16 000 will get you 850 HP.

around 9000 should get you 550HP

To make it simple for u and less headache to everyone else.

Go to an engine builder, tell them "I have a 440ci, I want more power, 4000 is howmuch money I have, what can you do with that?"

And let them tell you whats achievable with the money. That will save alot of questions and headaches.

Dont worry about the formula, take ur money and ask to get it built, they will tell u whats achievable for that budget, if ur happy, proceed if ur not get more money.

Simple.

Charger_Martin

I dont think I will buy a new engine, since I got the engine rebuilt not too long ago..

The only thing that did not match the best was the heads and cam.

So thats the only thing that I need right now.

Will rather wait a few years before I think about a new engine.

Just talked to 2 guys who builds motors and they said that its not always the heads and kam that can be the "problem".
They both told me to get a new intake instead of the holley street dominator that I have and that I should get a new converter with a higher stall.
Since the 440 block is more a higher than a low end engine. They also said that the mopar 906 heads and the "purple" cam should be just fine, so I should think about all this.

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Charger_Martin on July 03, 2008, 04:18:07 AM
Didnt really think about the parts that I had. Sorry about that. Would you consider other parts for my 440 instead?

A couple of friends tells me that I should get the edelbrock rpm heads instead of the 440stealth, in case it wont fit???

Should I get another cam or heads?

Sorry for not telling you about the parts and all. Thats how much I know about building a motor:)

hmm, re asking the same thing a few times,  stealth heads are an inexpensive copy basically of the eddy rpm heads.  You are on a budget, right?  excellent place to save money in your build, they are basically the same aluminum/design head, except the spark plug comes straight out like stock head instead of at an angle like the eddy's, so you don't have to mess with header clearance with the spark plugs, that can be a pain,  get the stealth heads   :Twocents:
   I would try and go with the slightly bigger cam between the two you are deciding on.  they both cost the same, right?   your intake and carb and exhaust and headers are set up for bigger cam, and you are going for more power and "hot street" and all that.  if you have the 2500 stall, you should be fine.     

There are lots of threads about the stealth heads if you want to read more about them.   use search engine and scroll through the posts, there are lots of cam threads, maybe read more,
   No worries on being new at this, learning is half the fun