News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Engine numbers question

Started by JimShine, October 17, 2005, 04:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimShine

Okay, I need to clarify this. I have found two stampings on my 1968 Charger engine. On the drivers side I see 2536030 318-5 and on the passenger side the date is 1-3-68. 2536030 does not match either my fender tag or my VIN. However, the date is in the ballpark. My car has a build date of January 16th 1968, in the stock seats were tags dated 12-28-67, stock door pads were dated very early January 1968, and the owner swore this was the stock engine. What should I think? Am I missing the code under grime? I cleaned it the best I could. I know its not a big deal as it is a 318, but if it isn't the cars engine, I don't want it under foot. If does go to it, I would prefer to just tuck it away.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

JimShine

Ahhh, okay, so where the number I am looking for be? I looked hard and only saw those two sets of numbers

Shakey

Quote from: JimShine on October 17, 2005, 04:29:02 PM
Ahhh, okay, so where the number I am looking for be? I looked hard and only saw those two sets of numbers

I think, I repeat think that the #'s you are looking to match on your VIN are on the rail near the oil pan on the driver's side towards the rear of the block.

If you get HemiGeno on here, he will point you in the right direction.

I think your casting date might be a bit close to your production date.  I think that usually casting dates could be anywhere from 3 months prior up to a month before - not 100% on that one.

JimShine

I will try to find that number. It is really dirty, so could be hidden, but I did try to clean it down a little and didn't see any other numbers.

Yeah, the date could be close, but I am willing to bet if I find the numbers, they will match. The tranny matched and everything else has been cool. I just couldn't find the sequence numbers on this block and didn't know if I was looking in the right place.

Shakey

Quote from: JimShine on October 17, 2005, 06:44:38 PM
I will try to find that number. It is really dirty, so could be hidden, but I did try to clean it down a little and didn't see any other numbers.

Yeah, the date could be close, but I am willing to bet if I find the numbers, they will match. The tranny matched and everything else has been cool. I just couldn't find the sequence numbers on this block and didn't know if I was looking in the right place.

I recall hearing about vin's matching, starting in '69 but I think that has to do with the body stampings.

This site might be helpful.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/318.html

JimShine

I am thinking it should match the sequence number on the fender tag, much like my radiator support and trunk lip are stamped. 

XS29J8

Jim, it should be at the top of the engine block in back where the trans bolts up about dead in front of the drivers seat. Some 68's did not have a stamping, but yours should after Jan. 68 it should be the last 6 of the VIN not the order number as on the radiator support.

Steve
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

JimShine

Thanks! I didn't even look in that area! I will check that out tomorrow. I may pick up a can on engine degreaser and get most cleaned down so I can see what else I am missing.

Brock Samson

those photos show what looks to be red or orange paint, is that correct for a '68 i thought they were turquoise...  ???

Recharger

I think the big blocks were turquoise, and the small blocks were red in 68.   The info is around here somewhere...

HeavyFuel

Look here on your block, and the exact number should line up right beside it on the tranny lip.

JimShine

Thanks Heavyfuel! My block is seperated from the tranny. Now I know exatly where to look.

Yeah, this is a red block. The at some point the '69 model year went to the bluish-green color. My '69 is a November '68 car and it is that blue-green color (what little bits of paint are still intact).

8WHEELER

I have never seen the fender tag number that match's the rad on a small block yet. Is a matter a fact
I have 4 68 model year non HP 440's that don't have them either. I have only seen that number on
the HP engines in the 68 model year.

Here is a pic of one of my HP 440's and its location.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

hemigeno

Dan is right - 1968 non-HP motors will not have any stampings on them.   Your 318 would have been red in color that year, but there would not be any vehicle ID stampings on either your block or transmission.   There might be some other information stamped on both, such as which plant the engine or transmission were assembled at, the date code, and a sequence number that relates to which # engine/transmission it was during that day's production.   Those stampings can give you a little better idea that they were original to the car, but once again they are not stamped with anything that ties that engine block or transmission to your particular car.   You can find your engine stamping on the driver's front side of the block, below the cylinder head.   Automatic transmissions are stamped on the driver's side pan rail.   If you find the stampings, post them or PM me and I'll do what I can to decode them.

Look at the bright side - you don't have to worry about whether it is the "numbers matching" drivetrain!

As far as the casting date goes, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that your car's block was indeed cast in early January, and installed in mid/late January.   318's were very common, and as such they would have gone through their supply rather quickly at both the engine factory and the assembly plant.   I have heard that the foundry tried to let the newly-cast blocks "cure" for a couple of weeks before doing the machining work to them, but if the assembly plants were using up their supply, they're not going to shut down the lines because their supply of blocks hadn't aged enough.  

IMHO that's probably the original block as the previous owner has insisted.

Gene

JimShine

Wow Dan and Gene, very informative! Thanks for all the info! I will post the numbers once I have them.

ChargerHound69

So where would the numbers be on a 1969 block??
And would they only be on the HP motors too??

8WHEELER

69 and up blocks are stamped on the passenger side pan rail, just above the oil pan on a 1 1/4in by 2 1/4in roughly
flat pad.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

ChargerHound69