News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 windshield loose, Is it safe to take out in a home garage?

Started by WH23G3G, October 17, 2005, 09:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I'm wrappin up the front end redo on my 73 Charger, including putting on the trim pieces as well as mechanical parts. I was cleaning the channel between the windshield to reinstall the trim clips and notice the windshield was off it's seal when I was scraping junk out of the window channel. This is the original windshield, faded factory tint, but there are no chips and it is not cracked. I stopped when I noticed that. Can a person and a friend successfully remove this windshield and reinstall it without breaking it? Keeping in mind I've never done a windshield too. I was worried because since my windshield is not cracked I'm not sure the window repair shops around would have one for a 73. Are they still available? It doesn't look like a bad idea to remove this one either way, the channel needs to be cleaned up and protected. Anyone have luck replacing theirs or have had luck finding a window repairman to replace it?

Todd Wilson

It can be done but all it takes is one wrong move or twist and you will crack the windshield. You might call a autoglass place. They may have a mobile unit that can come out and remove it for you for a fee. Then install it back in when you are ready. Could save you some $ if you happen to screw your window up.

Todd

Charger_Croatia

I don't want to steel this thread but I have similar situation with rear (back) window. Now, since it would be almost impossible mission to get glass here (in Europe), I think I'll leave it and clean as much as possible around it, including "old" seals.
I manage to find some good stuff from Sikaflex, used for sealing windows on the boats and I'll use that and check. Experience from boats are excellent so i guess it should do the job. Anyway my car will be used on dry weather.

After I do that I'll post results here.
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

Drop Top

Just my two cents. More then likely rust has formed under the seal and caused the seal to lift from the chanel. I would highly suggest to go ahead a remove the glass and replace the seal the right way. If the chanel need repair then that will be the time to do it. I have seen people try to fix these seals with all kinds of stuff from silicone to chalking. It never works. If it dose, only for a very short time. Then you will have twice the work tyring to get all of that stuff that yo used out.

What happens is this. You need good solid material to put the seal onto. If the chanel is flaking off with rust, and then you try and reseal over that. All it will do is flake off more. When it dose this the seal that is on top of that rust will come right up with that.

What you need to do is at least take out the window. Clean the flaking rust with a wire brush. If there are no holes brush on some POR-15 or something similar. Then reseal and put in your glass. I would hate to see you loose your glass going down the road. If its your rear it will be very hard to find another one to replace it. They don't make them anymore.

Nacho-RT74

if windshield is template is harder to broke with a bad move. You need to much care with a laminated windshield.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

twilt

There is a high probability that you will crack the windshield taking it out, especially if you try to do it without a helper.  i dont have a lot of patience doing things like that and as a result, my success rate is 1 removed intact out of 6 or 7 attempts. one slight wrong move and it will be history. the good news is that replacements are available. $150 on ebay, to include shipping. other glass shops can get them for you local for around $180. i would recommend pulling the old one. rust in the channel is common, thats why the Front floor boards end up rotted out.

NHCharger

If you hire a glass firm to remove the windshield make sure they don't have a little clause in their contract saying they aren't responsible if the windshield cracks during removal.
Charger Croatia, what year is your Charger? I removed the rear window from my 72 without breaking anything last winter.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

twilt

the rear glass is much "stronger" and much more forgiving to a  little gentle prying. my success rate on them is 100%.  i barely touched
the side of the front glass on one of my 72`s last year when taking off the windshield trim and it cracked. at first, i was pissed but i got over it fast. a 33 year old windshield even if uncracked will usually have a lot of very fine wiper scratches on it. at night those micro scratches will refract light like mad. r   I wont miss that 33 year old windshield at all. if you do try to get it out and happen to crack it, let me know. i do have a good used one in storage that i can/would sell very reasonably. i am not planning on using it as  i am going to go with new ones in both of my cars. BTW  yes, it is safe to take out in your garage. it is "saftey" glass. it may crack but it isnt going to explode or cause bodily harm.

Charger_Croatia

Quote from: NHCharger on October 18, 2005, 08:54:46 PM
If you hire a glass firm to remove the windshield make sure they don't have a little clause in their contract saying they aren't responsible if the windshield cracks during removal.
Charger Croatia, what year is your Charger? I removed the rear window from my 72 without breaking anything last winter.

NHCharger, it is '73. Well, I have local shop who can do the job but I'm concern what to do if something happened. To get new glass here.....?!
After reading all of this I think I'll try to remove it; there is a thin steel wire which needs to be used to cut old seal so I guess with a lot of care it should be fine.

'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport