News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Matching color before and after

Started by bull, October 18, 2005, 02:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Just wondering how difficult it is to paint part of the car one year and then try to match that color a year later. For example, say I paint the engine bay the car's original color this winter and then wait until next winter to paint the rest of the car using the same code. Is there a chance the paint match will be off unless I buy all the paint I'll need for the whole car now?

Also, if I decide to go this route would you suggest I paint the underside of the hood along with the rest of engine bay? If so, how far up the edges do I go?

palindromes

That's the route I'm going...I recently painted my engine compartment(& soon the interior) using a single-stage enamel.  Next summer I hope to paint the rest of the body (including hood underside) with a base-clear.  From my past experience it may not be a perfect match...but when you're talking engine compartment versus the outside of the car, it's really hard to tell.

Ideally everything on the car would be painted at the same time, but at least for me it's logistically impossible.

694spdRT

If possible, can you buy enough base color to cover the entire car even if you don't plan to spray the whole car now? Might save you some headaches color matching down the road.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Drop Top

:iagree: When I'm restoring a car. I always buy enough paint to do everthing. I paint everthing separately before I put the car together. Sometime the body will sit 6 months to a year before painting the rest of the car. (Ususally because the customer has run out of money.) When you do this just remember to use the same color of sealer before you spray your base coat.