News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Final Assembly

Started by infish, October 18, 2005, 09:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

infish

Just wondering what's the best way to remove extra paint build up on the edges of the door handle and marker lite holes.

Thanks
Mike     

Drop Top

Is it single stage or base/clear? Is it a solid color or metallic? Did the paint almost run around these holes?

infish

Single stage, solid color and no paint runs around the holes. it just seems the paint is thicker on the edges. The marker lites went in with no problem, the door handles are giving me some issues. They are orig Chrysler parts and it seems the upper right corner of the main part of the handle that goes into the door is contacting the edge on both doors.  

Thanks for help

Mike

69hemi

I used a Dremel tool with a small stone grinding tool.  Just make sure you have a good grip on the Dremel and lightly run it around inside the opening. The nice thing about using the stone is it won't grab or tear the paint away from the metal.  If you cut through to metal make sure you take a small brush and touch it up with some color to prevent rust.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

infish

Thanks for the response, I'll probably go that route..

P.S. Great website 69 Hemi, it's help me more than you know

Thanks
Mike

Drop Top

If your talking about bild up on the edges that can be seen after its put together around the hole. I use a small rubber block and 400 grit wet paper. Do it like your color sanding that area. Then fallow up with 1000 and 1500. Then buff it out. Sand it just enough to get rid of the bild up and just on the bild up. Or you'll go too far and have to touch up the paint.

cudaken

If you have blocked a lot with a high fill primer and there is no runs use a rolled up pices of 220 git and file away mainly going into the hole so you don't poop of the paint.

Frist time I ran into that was with a 67 Barracuda, car was a mess. Used a lot of high fill primer and blocked the sh-t out of it. After paint, the holes for the key locks and door handles where to small. Primer and paint made the holes smaller.

After that, I filled away the bulid up before I paint a car in opeings.

Cuda Ken
I am back