News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

-WTF? Somethings stuck??? Brakes or ???

Started by Mefirst, June 24, 2008, 07:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mefirst

I rebuilt the rear brakes on my ride. Now when I have let the ride down from the stands, its heavy as hell to push backwards. I pulled up the rear again and took off the rear drums to rule out sticking brakes, still I have to really put some muscle into getting the tires to turn backwards, forward the reartires turn quite easily... -Yes, the trans is in Neutral..

I just don't get it :brickwall: Or is this because the rear axel is now connected with the trans + engine (when I rebuilt the rearbrakes, I didn't have the engine in the car, and the tires turned easily in both directions though trans was connected) and thats why its so heavy to rotate the tires backwards, but then again that doesn't make sense, it should be just as heavy to turn the rear tires forward...

/Tom

bordin34

With my one-legger 8 1/4 and 727 in neutral I can turn my rear wheels either way fairly easily with one wheel blocked so it wont turn.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Mefirst

Quote from: bordin34 on June 24, 2008, 07:22:03 PM
With my one-legger 8 1/4 and 727 in neutral I can turn my rear wheels either way fairly easily with one wheel blocked so it wont turn.

The axel is a 8 3/4", 489 case with clutch type sure grip

Mefirst

:bump:

..any one have any ideas what might cause this??

firefighter3931

Tom, the car is now much heavier with that boat anchor Hemi under the hood....that's why it's harder to push !  :D  :lol:

Ok, the seroius answer :

How much air pressure in the tires ? Soft tires make moving the car much harder.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mefirst

:cheers: Ron

The tire pressure is quite high both in the front and in the rear tires cause its right now only standing in the garage. I have about 40 PSI (3 BAR pressure) in al the tires...

The problem came up once I hooked up the trans with the engine.. I just don't get it :scratchchin:

/Tom

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mefirst on June 28, 2008, 11:41:53 PM
:cheers: Ron

The tire pressure is quite high both in the front and in the rear tires cause its right now only standing in the garage. I have about 40 PSI (3 BAR pressure) in al the tires...

The problem came up once I hooked up the trans with the engine.. I just don't get it :scratchchin:

/Tom

Tom, have you tried lifting the car up again and rotating the tires with the trans in neutral ? If so....any difference from before w/o the engine installed ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Musicman

Okay, oddball call here... It probably has nothing to do with your problem, but you did mention the fact that you had just complete some rear break work before the problem started, so I'll bring it up anyway.....
I recently came across a similar problem after rebuilding some rear brakes, only in this case the car went backwards easily, but it didn't want to move forward without a little extra effort. Turned out that one of the new shoes was hanging up... The mounting plates were old and the old shoes had literally worn grooves into the plates over time. The grooves would grab the new shoes like a wheel stuck in a rut when the drum rotated and lock them up against the drum, preventing the return spring from doing it's job. I ground down the ridges to smooth out the grooves, applied a little local lubricant, and the problem went away. It was an easy diagnosis really... I just removed the drum, stuck a screw driver in there at the top between the shoe and the stop, pulled back on the shoe and it stayed there... not good.

Just a thought  :scratchchin:

Mefirst

:cheers: Guys

Ron***

I have had the car up on stands and on the ground, no difference. Like I said, first I thought it was the brake shoes that were hung up against the drums. I checked the brakes again, I also took off both drums to eliminate if it was a brake issue or not. And there was no difference. With out the drums it is just as hard to turn backwards as with the drums on, and the trans is in Neutral.

This problem came about after I hooked up the engine to the trans. When I rebuilt the rear brakes this issue didint occur. I don't know if I have to just try to pin point where the problem is by eliminating stuff, like unhook the driveshaft and try to rotate the rear tires, if the tires turn freely then it might be something with the trans, and to eliminate that, hook up the driveshaft again but unbolt the flexplate from the crank...etc... What I don't understand is why this is happening, the Damn car hasn't even moved... :scratchchin:

Musciman Mike***

Thank you for your input, Ill definitely take a new look at the brakes and how I assembled them. The thing is that I don't see my problem being the brakes, reason is I eliminated the brakes when I took the rear drums off and tried to rotate the rear tires, but checking them again is on my list...

/Tom