News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Speaking of Martial Arts....

Started by Orange_Crush, October 18, 2005, 01:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orange_Crush

The martial arts posts got me thinking.

I studied Tae Kwon Do for a couple of years but was not really enjoying it.  AT that time, a Brizilian family moved into my neighborhood and their kids introduced me to Capoeira.

Capoeira is a Brazilian martial art developed by slaves and, while it IS a defensive art (ad that is the part I was schooled in), there is MUCH more ritual involved in it.

A "tournament" for lack of a better term.. is not seen as a fight, but as a friendly game that takes place between two "opponents" and the object is to confuse and/or confound your opponent rather than beat the hell out of him.  Very little contact actually takes place as there is a whole lot of "out-thinking" involved.  This all takes place while you are surrounded by a group of people who are playing instruments and singing.  The effect is actually quite beautiful and you can actually imagine it taking place in some african village.

Now, as far as the defensive aspects of the art are concerned...they are excellent because your opponent (especially if he/she is not familiar with Capoeira) has NO idea what to expect.  Capoeira served me very well...especially when I used it in combination with traditional Tae Kwon Do.

I'm linking to a vid of a Capoeira "Tournament."  Its very interesting to watch.  I really wish I would've taken it further.

http://www.bantus.com.my/archives/2005/04/02/capoeira-festival-2004
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

RD

that is cool! looks like hip hop/break dancing.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

4cruzin

Looks like a good workout!!   Interesting stuff. 
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

472 R/T SE

I took a few free classes in Thai Boxing, lots of elbows.  When he initially explained it, he mentioned people watching comparing it to dancing. :eyes:  The classes were free to try, they were trying to pick up some new students, I didn't care for it.  It's interesting tho watching.  They moved around like your video with both their forearms vertical covering their face with their fists up by forehead.  The fists stay at your forehead almost, and you swing the elbow around to make contact in some of the moves.
I wonder if there's an art for dudes in wheelchairs.

smasherofall

that looks a lot like what the Jaffa do on Stargate SG1 when they are practicing. I took judo lessons for several years and used to teach a little, won a few tournaments back in the day. Good sport for wrestlers to get into.