News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WARNING! DANGER! If you are or will run a flat tappet cam read this!!!

Started by AKcharger, July 03, 2008, 01:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

BTW, just ordered a few bottles of ZDDP from this eBay seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-ZddPlus-ZDDP-Engine-Oil-Additive-Zinc-and-Phosphorus_W0QQitemZ310132694680QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item310132694680&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

With my bid it came in roughly at $7 per bottle. Free shipping to boot.

The big question is: Should I/can I mix this with Castrol Syntec synthetic, or should I switch back to dino oil? I used to run Castrol GTX 10/w40 before switching to synthetic.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

b5blue

WOW Dino oil...that took me back...use to be this BIG green Dino shaped gas station. Like a Brontosaurus

Ghoste

426HemiCharger

I was about to say that but I was afraid it would have been wrong.
------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)

b5blue

That's it!  :cheers: I use to beg my dad to get gas there! They even had a machine you put quarters in and it made you a T Rex out of "wax" like plastic right before your eyes! (that stuff burned like napalm  :D )

bill440rt

Quote from: bill440rt on April 13, 2009, 07:51:54 PM

The big question is: Should I/can I mix this with Castrol Syntec synthetic, or should I switch back to dino oil? I used to run Castrol GTX 10/w40 before switching to synthetic.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this?
Is it OK to use ZDDP in synthetic, or should it be used in synthetic? OR, should I switch back to regular oil with the ZDDP?

BLUE68RT4ME

Quote from: bill440rt on April 15, 2009, 09:54:37 AM

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this?
Is it OK to use ZDDP in synthetic, or should it be used in synthetic? OR, should I switch back to regular oil with the ZDDP?

I'm sure it will be fine.  As we've discussed already, many other synthetics have zink in it, like AMSOil and Royal Purple, so this shouldn't be any different.  If you are still unsure, I suggest you either call the 800 number on your oil manufaturers bottle, visit their website, or just change to another synthetic that already has it in.

It's been my experience Castrol isn't the greatest out there anyway.  It was suggested for my Jetta 1.8T.  When I switched to AMSOil I got 4 MPG better on the highway alone.  And when I parked in my inclined driveway I would normally just leave it in 1st gear but when I switched to AMSOil I had to hold my foot on the brake until the oil drained from the cylinder walls because they were so much more slippery that the car would roll backwards until the walls were dry.

Anyway, if you stick with Castrol I still think it's fine to add it but I would make sure.  They may get funny and dance around the question because of liability issues but it's worth checking out.  But, if they do give you a hassle, it's as easy to drop the plug and put in another brand that has it.  It's your pride and joy, and it's worth it!  :)
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

73 charger

High Performance Engine Technical Tips
Get expert advice on your high performance stroker & crate engine applications

Shell Rotella T on the left and Lucas Oil Break-in Additive #10063 on the right

Updated engine oil requirements

(April 30, 2008)

In recent years, auto manufacturers have switched to roller camshafts for performance and fuel economy reasons. This combined with the EPA requirements for reduced emissions, has led to the reduction of zinc diakyl dithiophosphate (ZDDP). This lower zinc content will not properly lubricate the flat tappet hydraulic lifters we use on the majority of our engines.

Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40 (new API CJ-4) has approximately 1200 ppm zinc (indicative of the amount of ZDDP additive). This is 50% more zinc than current passenger car motor oils (SM, GF-4) which typically contain approximately 800 ppm zinc. Passenger car motor oils had approximately 1200 ppm zinc prior to 2001. In 2001 the zinc was reduced to 1000 ppm and in 2005 reduced again to the current 800 ppm. These are typical zinc levels, API ratings do not stipulate the zinc content, but the oil performance.

Therefore, we are recommending the use of Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40 (new API CJ-4) during the initial start up and during the break in period of your Blueprint engine.

If you wish to use another brand of 15w40 oil, you must use a break-in additive such as Lucas Oil Break-in Additive #10063(which also increases the zinc content). After the critical break in period (normally 3000-4000 miles), synthetic oils such as Royal Purple can be used.
Return to Tech Tips Main Page

Can't find an
older news article?
Check out our archives:

Search By Month:

Oct 2012 May 2008 Apr 2008 Mar 2008 Jan 2008 Jun 2007 Apr 2007 Jan 2007 Feb 2006 May 2005 Jun 2004 Sep 2003 Aug 2003 0

Advanced Search
View all articles

1973 Dodge Charger, "Big Blue", Petty Blue (TB3), 408 Stroker, 460 TQ, RPM Air Gap Dual Plane Intake #7577, Edelbrock 750 cfm Performer Carb #1411, Holley Fuel pump (110 gph), Edelbrock #8877 water pump, MSD #8388 pro-billet RTR distrib, Comp Cam 233I/240E, lobe sep 110 deg, Hayes Heavy-Duty Flexplate, TCI Breakaway Torque Converter-stall 2200-2400, TCI 727-Street Fighter, DTS Stainless Steel balanced drive shaft tube with 7290 u-joint/yoke, DTS 3:54 Dana 60, Trak-Lok posi-unit, MT Drag Radials

bill440rt

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but there's lots of good info regarding ZDDP here:

http://www.zddplus.com/

I just had a nice phone conversation with them regarding their product, the rep was very knowledgeable & informative.
:2thumbs:

b5blue

Hey Bill! Do I need a secret decoder ring to find the price of this stuff?  :shruggy: 

bill440rt

Quote from: bill440rt on April 13, 2009, 07:51:54 PM
BTW, just ordered a few bottles of ZDDP from this eBay seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-ZddPlus-ZDDP-Engine-Oil-Additive-Zinc-and-Phosphorus_W0QQitemZ310132694680QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item310132694680&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

With my bid it came in roughly at $7 per bottle. Free shipping to boot.

Hi Neal,
I posted this previously, just a little bit up this page.  :D
This was the best price I could find, other places want like $8 bucks per bottle plus shipping, this seller includes shipping.
I called him first with questions, he referred me to Howard over at ZDDP directly. Very informative, & the website has alot of FAQ's.
I referred him to this thread, he was just a little hesitant to join or respond as he didn't want to come across plugging his product. I guess he had some bad experiences on some other GM boards.

Anyway, using a chart, one 4 oz bottle to my 7qts of Castrol Syntec will give me the exact amount of zinc my engine requires. It's OK to use it with synthetic.

b5blue

Thank allot Bill! I must have missed that post! Ive followed this thread with great interest since I first got here.(the first thing I did was not start my car till I changed to Valvoline Racing Oil) Keep us posted on the six pack build!

426HemiCharger

------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)

Ghoste

Quote from: 426HemiCharger on April 30, 2009, 08:32:10 PM
Too bad Sinclair doesn't make gas anymore. :'(

Actually they do but it doesn't really have anything to do with zinc levels and flat tappet cams.

Just 6T9 CHGR

FWIW I just switched over to Valvoline VR1 20w-50 which is labled high in zinc/phosphorous for pushrod & flat tappet engines

#

#

What is the controversy surrounding the amount of zinc in motor oil?

Many hands-on car enthusiasts and engine experts believe the lower levels of zinc in "SM" motor oil is causing excessive wear in older style push-rod and flat tappet engines. This is despite the fact that all new motor oil classifications are intended to be backward compatible. This has resulted in the widely accepted belief that modern motor oil is not adequate to protect older engines.
#

What solutions does Valvoline offer to the zinc issue?

Valvoline offers two solutions to the zinc issue:

1. Valvoline VR1: Contains 75% higher zinc than SM motor oil with a balanced additive package designed to work in both racing and street-legal applications. This product will protect older style push-rod and flat tappet engines. Valvoline provides this product in both multi and mono viscosity grades: 20w50, straight 50, 10w30, straight 30, straight 40, and straight 60.
   2. Longer-Lasting Zinc/Phosphorus: Valvoline uses an advanced zinc/phosphorus additive that keeps higher levels of phosphorus in the motor oil where it protects the engine instead of poisoning the catalytic converter. Valvoline is the only brand offering this unique additive across its entire line of passenger car motor oils including SynPower -- the only synthetic offering this additive.

Which oil has more zinc/ZDDP: VR1 or "Not Street Legal" oil?

Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil contains .13% of Zinc and .12% of Phosphorus compared to the Valvoline "Not Street Legal" Racing Oil which contains .14% of Zinc and .13% of Phosphorus.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

charger Downunder

[/quote]

69chargerrt

Does anyone know of a zinc additive called "Hy-per Lube Zinc Replacement Additive" (www.hyperlube.com)?   Is it any good?   For $16/bottle, it'd better be....

David

'69 Dodge Charger R/T

c00nhunterjoe

alright, i am well overdue on an oil change as the car has been sitting for "a few" years. just did a bunch of work and got it road worthy again. i am thinking of running mobil delvac diesel oil in 15w40. will that give me the protection i need?

73 charger

From Blue Print Engines web site!

High Performance Engine Technical Tips
Get expert advice on your high performance stroker & crate engine applications

Shell Rotella T on the left and Lucas Oil Break-in Additive #10063 on the right

Updated engine oil requirements

(April 30, 2008)

In recent years, auto manufacturers have switched to roller camshafts for performance and fuel economy reasons. This combined with the EPA requirements for reduced emissions, has led to the reduction of zinc diakyl dithiophosphate (ZDDP). This lower zinc content will not properly lubricate the flat tappet hydraulic lifters we use on the majority of our engines.

Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40 (new API CJ-4) has approximately 1200 ppm zinc (indicative of the amount of ZDDP additive). This is 50% more zinc than current passenger car motor oils (SM, GF-4) which typically contain approximately 800 ppm zinc. Passenger car motor oils had approximately 1200 ppm zinc prior to 2001. In 2001 the zinc was reduced to 1000 ppm and in 2005 reduced again to the current 800 ppm. These are typical zinc levels, API ratings do not stipulate the zinc content, but the oil performance.

Therefore, we are recommending the use of Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40 (new API CJ-4) during the initial start up and during the break in period of your Blueprint engine.

If you wish to use another brand of 15w40 oil, you must use a break-in additive such as Lucas Oil Break-in Additive #10063(which also increases the zinc content). After the critical break in period (normally 3000-4000 miles), synthetic oils such as Royal Purple can be used.
Return to Tech Tips Main Page

1973 Dodge Charger, "Big Blue", Petty Blue (TB3), 408 Stroker, 460 TQ, RPM Air Gap Dual Plane Intake #7577, Edelbrock 750 cfm Performer Carb #1411, Holley Fuel pump (110 gph), Edelbrock #8877 water pump, MSD #8388 pro-billet RTR distrib, Comp Cam 233I/240E, lobe sep 110 deg, Hayes Heavy-Duty Flexplate, TCI Breakaway Torque Converter-stall 2200-2400, TCI 727-Street Fighter, DTS Stainless Steel balanced drive shaft tube with 7290 u-joint/yoke, DTS 3:54 Dana 60, Trak-Lok posi-unit, MT Drag Radials

c00nhunterjoe

so then you are saying mobil delvac is not good enough? and neither is rotella? still need to run the additives?

i have yet to find this stuff at any parts dealer in my area. advance, autozone, napa and kunkels.

Ghoste

The diesel oils were a secret source of higher zinc motor oil for a while but no longer.  You are basically going to have to go to one of the specialty oils and/or use a zinc additive as indicated through this thread.  There should be a few other sources than the ones you have tried.  Do you have GM dealer in town?  There is still GM EOS.

c00nhunterjoe

yes i have a few gm dealers, is there a part number or will the kid at the parts counter know what i want when i ask for zinz supplements