News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

671 blower

Started by 71Charger500, October 18, 2005, 06:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71Charger500

I was told that the 671 blower would be the right model for my 71 383 4 barrel.  If so, does anyone know a good reliable place online that I could buy a nice used one, or a cheaper new one (the guy I talked to said they run new and polished for 3 grand, Im not sure if thats right or not).  Any help would be appreciated.
1971 Charger 500 383 mod...
Takin' names on the open road.

Shakey

I recall some discussions about blowers on this site not too long ago.  Check the Tech Section or use the search feature.

Black and Blown

I'd check out BDS... www.blowerdriveservice.com

If you're looking for 'cheaper', I'd avoid a blower all together.   ;D

Blown70

Hello,

Depending on your needs.  BDS would be good for a street, and they do have the kits which makes it nice.  IF you really wanna pump some air you can go up to a 8/71.  All of this matters on your APPLICATION race or STREET.  Realize this a supercharger will BUILD HEAT..... so make sure your cooling system is up to it.  Realize that you do have to watch your FCR (final compression ratio)

Also, 3,000 is a good ball park.  Depends on if you want polished or not.

now I will tell you some of the parts you can get cheaper IE.  the belt is a GATES, BDS just puts there name on it.  Save about $40-50 and get your own,  or use RCD engineering.

GRAIG, depending on the day will be nice or NOT... he is part owner I believe.

They have 1-4 stage blowers usually streets are stage 1-2.... 3-4 are usually race and can cost more.

Please feel free to ask away....I have learned much about superchargers.... I would be happy to share what I know.

Tom (blown70)

Actually cudaken may have one for sale... ;D

71Charger500

To be honest, im pretty new to this whole thing, and Im not to good with engines.  Besides my cooling system, is there anything else I need to worry about if I install a blower?

And how much to you think the final compression ratio would go up with a 671?
an 871?

cudaken

71Charger500, yea there is a lot more to the Blower set up. First thing is you need to know your compression, then oiling (5 quarts is to little) fule system, I have a 1/2 ID line and to holley blue pumps, blower cam 3 speed wiper motor 2 speed will not clear the blower.

Blowen 70 is right, my short block took a S--t durng break in with out the blower on it. I may have to sell my set up to fix the 440. I have every thing from scoop to drive.

If you are ready to do something use the Personal Message and we can talk about it. I hate to sell, but at this point I just want to be able to drive the darn thing.

Cuda Ken 
I am back

Blown70

Quote from: 71Charger500 on October 18, 2005, 08:14:46 PM
To be honest, im pretty new to this whole thing, and Im not to good with engines.   Besides my cooling system, is there anything else I need to worry about if I install a blower?

an 871?

The amount of final compression matters on how much you turn the blower.... meaning the front pully size.  So I really cannot answer that.  The 6/71 to 8/71 is one inch bigger case.  Thus will move more air with the same roatation of the rotors.

Compression can range from 7.5/1 to 9/1.  However realize the higher the intial compression will limit the amount of boost you can run.  If you run a small boost you could possibly keep the same cam, but you may want to change that,  valve train, make sure that is in good order.

Depending on the boost again, you will want a steel crank, stock rods are good for lower boost as well. 

I guess again if you can tell us more about your application and/or what you want to do would help, Do you want to do a complete rebuild or just set a blower on?

Blown70

cudaken

Getting ready to have a clearances sell. Looks like I might have a new collection of ash trays. ;)

Cuda Ken
I am back

71Charger500

Quote from: Blown70 on October 19, 2005, 09:27:09 AM
Quote from: 71Charger500 on October 18, 2005, 08:14:46 PM
To be honest, im pretty new to this whole thing, and Im not to good with engines.  Besides my cooling system, is there anything else I need to worry about if I install a blower?

an 871?

The amount of final compression matters on how much you turn the blower.... meaning the front pully size. So I really cannot answer that. The 6/71 to 8/71 is one inch bigger case. Thus will move more air with the same roatation of the rotors.

Compression can range from 7.5/1 to 9/1. However realize the higher the intial compression will limit the amount of boost you can run. If you run a small boost you could possibly keep the same cam, but you may want to change that, valve train, make sure that is in good order.

Depending on the boost again, you will want a steel crank, stock rods are good for lower boost as well.

I guess again if you can tell us more about your application and/or what you want to do would help, Do you want to do a complete rebuild or just set a blower on?

Blown70

The engine has just been completely rebuilt.  Brand new.  So I would like to just set a blower on.

Blown70

Well what is the compression ratio you have now?

Also you will need to feed this so what pumps(fuel) do you have?

Depending on how soon you want something watch some of the auction sites... Occasionally you can find a good deal.....

Keep in mind the blower is just a big intake and air pump..... Make sure you can get the exhaust out IE hopefully ported heads and also headers..... You will need to get the air out of the engine.

Blown70

cudaken

Tom, I think I may have scared him off. If not he is a little nuts, I know I am.

71Charger500, If I have not scraed you off, here is the Blower and carbs. Does not show the lower V-belt drive (Alt and PS belts) or the bottom drive pullys or 3" drive belt. I have every thing as I PM you.

Cuda Ken
I am back

71Charger500

Well ive been looking around and maybe ill just do some other stuff for a little bit of HP.  Dual exhaust, etc.  But ill keep my eyes open.  Thanks for the help.

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: Black and Blown on October 18, 2005, 07:43:14 PM
I'd check out BDS... www.blowerdriveservice.com

If you're looking for 'cheaper', I'd avoid a blower all together.     ;D

I agree , a lot of blowers are simply unusable & others are very inefficient , anti up the top $$ for a good blower or don`t bother with a blower at all