News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why were Chargers built with different brand Carburetors?

Started by WingCharger, July 03, 2008, 01:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WingCharger

Why could Chargers be built with 3 different brands of Carbs? I dont get why they were built with Carters, Holleys, or Thermoquads. Is there really much difference? Of the three, which is the most durable or reliable?

Holley was the only carburetor available in six pack right?

Was Thermoquad built only in four four barrel?

Charger-Bodie

the thermquad carb is a Carter. they just used what they felt worked well at the time for a particular application.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

71charger_fan

The term Thermoquad wouldn't make sense if it was anything but a four barrel.

Ghoste

Cost and availability were often a big factor as well.  And yes, the Six Pack carbs were Holleys.

John_Kunkel

I always thought the use of the Thermobog (and later the Quadrapuke) was emissions related but the bouncing back and forth between Carter and Holley in the sixties and seventies was probably just a "spread the wealth" policy.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Nacho-RT74

Thermoquad also because isolates the gas from the high temp of engine, saving from some boiling.

Thermoquads were made at first for drag races, so anything with emisiion controls when began... then they become to get that stuff.

as I allways state, ( because my fav carb for HIPO street ) GREAT ONE if you have a perfect conditions plastic bowl ( what is the hard part ). Good mileage and great boost at full throttle due teh oversized rear throttles
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html