News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona's left in existence

Started by 69charger2002, July 07, 2008, 07:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69charger2002

forgive me if this has been posted.. but how many of the supposed 503 daytonas have been accounted for? i see chris has 80 in his 69 registry. but i don't keep up with the winged/aero warriors site... 69 500. XS29JBullitt.. etc.. anyone have a clue? with them being as high caliber of a car and well kept up with since new.. i'd think there are 300-400 accounted for by now..
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

WingCharger

Dont forget, be sure to add three, dont forget the 70 Daytonas. ::)

1. Watermelon

2. Plum Crazy Daytona (Formerly Red)
http://wwnboa.org/70csed.htm

3. The "Fake" Red California Car
"Its got a windhsield!"

Aero426

hotrod98

Sorry...the watermelon car has not been found...unless you know something that we don't know.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

WingCharger

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 07, 2008, 09:10:14 PM
Sorry...the watermelon car has not been found...unless you know something that we don't know.

Who knows, maybe it is sitting in a abandonded Dodge warehouse in Detroit? Or maybe a garage of a little old lady. WHO KNOWS??

Lets wait and see.  :popcrn:

69_500

Doug is that 370 the amount of cars known to the DSAC? I was thinking it was around 385 cars between the two clubs? I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time that I was either.

Aero426

Quote from: 69_500 on July 08, 2008, 08:09:07 PM
Doug is that 370 the amount of cars known to the DSAC? I was thinking it was around 385 cars between the two clubs? I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time that I was either.

DSAC has apx 370.  So 385 in total sounds reasonable.

Ghoste

Quote from: WingCharger on July 07, 2008, 09:17:01 PM

Who knows, maybe it is sitting in a abandonded Dodge warehouse in Detroit? Or maybe a garage of a little old lady. WHO KNOWS??

Well, until it does turn up and has a LOT of ironclad paperwork to back it up, it's just a missing clone isn't it?  The other two clones you mention can't really be counted in the total either unless you are going to factor all of the 69 clones into the original question too.

hotrod98

Quote from: Ghoste on July 14, 2008, 09:24:18 AM

Well, until it does turn up and has a LOT of ironclad paperwork to back it up, it's just a missing clone isn't it?  The other two clones you mention can't really be counted in the total either unless you are going to factor all of the 69 clones into the original question too.

Would the original watermelon car be considered a clone if it was something that the factory put together as an early press release car? They always built one or two of every model early for pics for the brochures, etc. I know that none of this has ever been determined. Just kind of wondering out loud, sort of.

Charles Addams

Ghoste

If it is ever proven that the factory made it, then it will be legit.  So far, the evidence doesn't prove that it's factory and that makes it a clone from where I stand.

WingCharger

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 14, 2008, 10:31:10 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on July 14, 2008, 09:24:18 AM

Would the original watermelon car be considered a clone if it was something that the factory put together as an early press release car? They always built one or two of every model early for pics for the brochures, etc. I know that none of this has ever been determined. Just kind of wondering out loud, sort of.

What if it is was a "One Piece At A Time" style car??

"I got her one piece at a time, and it didnt cost me a dime."
"Youll know its me when I come through your town."
-The immortal Man In Black.

Oh, ELVIS AINT DEAD!!
Hes down in mexico driving a 1970 six pack 440 hemi modtop Daytona.

WingCharger

Quote from: Ghoste on July 14, 2008, 10:33:30 AM
If it is ever proven that the factory made it, then it will be legit.  So far, the evidence doesn't prove that it's factory and that makes it a clone from where I stand.
The thing about that is the pictures are from the 1970s, so who would start thinking about doing a clone for the 70 Daytona that far back, when Daytonas were just used cars, and you could pick a real one up cheap?

Ghoste

Well since they weren't making them in 1970 and you were let's say a dealer, for arguments sake, and you had a 1970 model sitting around and you wanted to promote the idea and the very limited run of 69 models were all gone, what would you do?
Given the limited availability of 1969 Daytonas and the still limited although less so availability of factory parts to make a clone, it would be a very easy thing to do.  For example, the local Plymouth dealer here had a son who was a bit of a car buff back in the day and he had a 70 Satellite convertible as a demo for a while, the kid added a Superbird wing and even though I wouldn't go as far as calling it a clone, the car started a rumor which persists in my hometown to this day (said rumors being a Superbird sold here-there weren't or that there were Superbird 'verts).  The point is, they would have been fairly easy to clone then.

hotrod98

I thought that it was confirmed that the pic of the watermelon car was taken in the parking lot at the factory.
Incidentally, Mike Goyette has new info regarding the watermelon car, but unfortunately he is no longer allowed to post here.

While on that subject, I personally believe that many of the posts that were thought to be made by Mike were actually made by another person in the Dayclona operation using Mike's computer. This is just my thought. I've only recently found that early on, many of the times that I thought that I was talking to Mike, I was actually talking to someone claiming to be Mike. Things are much better at Dayclona and I've had the pleasure of dealing with Mike for quite a while. He's pretty much making all of my parts now.
I for one would like to cast a vote to allow him back on the board. He is a wealth of information, especially for the cloners. I truly believe that he and Dane know more about building clones than anyone else out there.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on July 14, 2008, 11:18:07 AM
Well since they weren't making them in 1970 and you were let's say a dealer, for arguments sake, and you had a 1970 model sitting around and you wanted to promote the idea and the very limited run of 69 models were all gone, what would you do?
Given the limited availability of 1969 Daytonas and the still limited although less so availability of factory parts to make a clone, it would be a very easy thing to do.  For example, the local Plymouth dealer here had a son who was a bit of a car buff back in the day and he had a 70 Satellite convertible as a demo for a while, the kid added a Superbird wing and even though I wouldn't go as far as calling it a clone, the car started a rumor which persists in my hometown to this day (said rumors being a Superbird sold here-there weren't or that there were Superbird 'verts).  The point is, they would have been fairly easy to clone then.
  What do you mean they made superbird convert's  heres proof    :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

The picture was taken there but as yet, the fact that the car was on Chrysler property once is the only thing that has been offered as proof that it was a Chrysler built 70 Daytona.  Chrysler says they didn't do it so the photos don't mean much without a car and paperwork.
As for new info, Mike has claimed for a while now to have special secret information about it but he has yet to allow the public to know what it is.

hotrod98

I know that it's something that anyone could find if they knew where to look.  :yesnod:

Charles Addams

arrow

Im still curious how many of the Daytonas, 500s and Super Birds still exist - does anyone have any numbers on that one -not known to have existed ???

Ghoste

I don't think anyone has an accurate call on that one.  There is Galens Registry, but those cars only count if you send the info to him.  Danny has been trying to register all the 500's but he hasn't gotten close yet.  Doug Schellinger knows about more cars personally than anyone except the shop foreman at Creative and that guy doesn't know where they went after leaving the shop.
I think you would have to get a wide variety of sources together and come up with your own guess from there.  And it would only be a guess because there are a lot still in hiding too.
A lot of people put the survival rate at 20% for old cars typically and a higher rate for cars like Daytonas.  I have heard as high as 40% but who knows really.

69_500

249 Charger 500's that can be accounted for.

Ghoste

For some reason I thought you had a lower number than that.  That's pretty good.

69_500

I did have a lower number than that a few months ago. Have ran accross 8 new 500's in the last 6 weeks. And I believe like 14 this year. I will find them all one day.  :2thumbs:

UFO

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 14, 2008, 11:34:09 AM
I thought that it was confirmed that the pic of the watermelon car was taken in the parking lot at the factory.

What building is in the background of this pic?

WingCharger

Quote from: Ghoste on July 14, 2008, 11:39:37 AM
The picture was taken there but as yet, the fact that the car was on Chrysler property once is the only thing that has been offered as proof that it was a Chrysler built 70 Daytona.  Chrysler says they didn't do it so the photos don't mean much without a car and paperwork.
As for new info, Mike has claimed for a while now to have special secret information about it but he has yet to allow the public to know what it is.

Did you know that four different lot security guards at the Chrysler Hamtrack plant remember seeing it in 1970, but they never saw it after that!!

Hemi_tyme

Quote from: UFO on July 16, 2008, 05:48:29 PM
Quote from: hotrod98 on July 14, 2008, 11:34:09 AM

What building is in the background of this pic?
Looks like the front of Cobo hall