News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I drove my Superbird Sunday night, in the dark!!

Started by 70Sbird, July 09, 2008, 10:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Sbird

I pushed my headlight switch into the "on" position and pulled out of the garage with my headlights up and turned on!
That may not sound like much to any of you but I was more turned on than the headlights! :o
This is the first time in the seven years I've owned the car that I've had working headlights. I was just going to revive my other old threads about the vacuum headlights and actuator woes, but the bottom line is that Allen Wilson is the man!
After two  different "new" sets of reproduction actuators, and a couple off of E-bag, I  bought a great working original one, and sent one to Wilson products (air grabber restoration guy): http://www.n96airgrabber.com/ to be rebuilt. The one I sent him was totally trashed, and he made it like new again. He will be getting the other one this fall when I park the car for the winter.

Just a note to the wing car guys, the new actuators available out there are 1968 versions and our cars use the 1969 parts. There is a difference!
one another positive note, I've swapped out more actuators since April than I should likely have to in the rest of My life. I can now swap out a set of two in about 20 minutes though!
:icon_smile_big:

Scott Faulkner

tan top

nice looking Superbird  :drool5:   would like to see more pictures  sometime   :popcrn:   
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

That's great !!!!
If I get that elusive Daytona, then if I have problems, I know where to turn to.........   I have the exact picture.. I remember getting a pic of your car there at Talladega....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

Quote from: 70Sbird on July 09, 2008, 10:33:18 PM
I pushed my headlight switch into the "on" position and pulled out of the garage with my headlights up and turned on!
That may not sound like much to any of you but I was more turned on than the headlights! :o
This is the first time in the seven years I've owned the car that I've had working headlights. I was just going to revive my other old threads about the vacuum headlights and actuator woes, but the bottom line is that Allen Wilson is the man!
After two  different "new" sets of reproduction actuators, and a couple off of E-bag, I  bought a great working original one, and sent one to Wilson products (air grabber restoration guy): http://www.n96airgrabber.com/ to be rebuilt. The one I sent him was totally trashed, and he made it like new again. He will be getting the other one this fall when I park the car for the winter.

Just a note to the wing car guys, the new actuators available out there are 1968 versions and our cars use the 1969 parts. There is a difference!
one another positive note, I've swapped out more actuators since April than I should likely have to in the rest of My life. I can now swap out a set of two in about 20 minutes though!
:icon_smile_big:

what does wilson charge to reman them ?    thats the last weak link in my system  ,New switch , new cannister , new vaccumm lines , and mine still bleed up in about an hours .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Quote from: moparstuart on July 10, 2008, 08:45:24 AM
what does wilson charge to reman them ?    thats the last weak link in my system  ,New switch , new cannister , new vaccumm lines , and mine still bleed up in about an hours .

Come on man.... Use duct tape !!!!!   :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

moparstuart

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 10, 2008, 08:47:06 AM

thanks I wait to see the duct take all over that fresh Hemi car  :smilielol: :smilielol:

hemi68charger

Quote from: moparstuart on July 10, 2008, 09:12:04 AM

thanks I wait to see the duct take all over that fresh Hemi car  :smilielol: :smilielol:

Too late........................... It's fixed..........   :icon_smile_big:
Troy

moparstuart

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 10, 2008, 09:19:49 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on July 10, 2008, 09:12:04 AM

Too late........................... It's fixed..........   :icon_smile_big:
yeah i figured as much
:smilielol:

Aero426

Scott, what have you found to be the difference between the repro actuators and OEM?    What is the diff between 68 style and 69?

70Sbird

Wilson charges $170 per actuator including shipping.
The 2 sets of new actuators were the ones that can be purchased through a couple of vendors, I got mine from BE&A. Mike was wonderfull to work with on this ordeal, his customer service is outstanding, he was very supportive and has won a customer because of it. As far as I can tell all of the reproductions are of the part number 2889883, the 1968 actuator with a large magnet in the bottom of the "closed" end of the actuator housing, and possibly an inferior seal design (I don't know this to be a fact). The first set I received was just plain in-operational, and would not work at all, Mike replaced them with my second set that he tested prior to shipping. These would physically work but would  would not hold vacuum on the "rod" end for any time at all. The Daytonas and Superbirds use a part # 2926961 - 1969 part, they both look identical, but the 1969 part has no big magnet inside, and I have a 39 year old used actuator that still holds vacuum on the rod end. I believe that the magnet is designed to hold the door in the rod "retracted" position on a standard Charger. on a normal charger these parts are probably interchangeable and the new parts would be OK. On a Wing car where it is supporting the weight of the headlight bucket assembly (without springs) they won't work. even with the springs installed there will still be a leak path on the rod end. but function should be normal.
These have been my observations, I would welcome anyone's additional insight.
here are the old and new side by side, and the "old" holding the vacuum that the new wouldn't

Scott Faulkner

moparstuart

sorry about your trouble , but thanks for the insight on the problem.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

pettybird

figure out those ignition system issues and you won't need me any more  :'( :'( :'(

notabird

good to hear from you 70sbird, I just mentioned to Sherri that I hadnt seen anything from you in a while. Brent

70Sbird

Brent,
I'm still alive!
I started a new job May 1st and have been doing quite a bit of traveling since then and have been pretty tied up.
I got the 'Bird and my "other" (non-Mopar) car uncovered and out for the first time in Mid-June!  :brickwall:That is pretty pathetic.
I'm going to hopefully be able to get some projects complete here in the next few weeks though.
The headlights have been on my to-do list forever, and I still have a few "tweaks" to do on them, such as some repair work on the adjustable stops, and aiming the lights. Just minor details at this point. I have my hotels booked for September so you'll definitely see me then!

and Doug,
Each year has been a different roadside ordeal for me, so keep the toolbox handy! Who know what will fall apart on the Superturd this season!

Scott Faulkner

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701