News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ignition switch restoration

Started by Ghoste, October 19, 2005, 03:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Looks like my ignition switch is toast.  I have a new one ordered and it should be here tomorrow.  My question is, what is the proper way to separate one of these things?  I'm sure I am supposed to use my existing key cylinder.

Troy

The lock cylinder itself has a little hook that you push in which allows the cylinder to be removed. It's silver or bronze colored and maybe a bit thicker than a dull pencil. You can find it near the end of the switch in the threaded area for the bezel about 1/3rd of the way around from the slit.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Yeah, I've been working on that sucker for about 30 minutes now and the lock has to be frozen in there with 38 years of gunk cuz it ain't movin'!
That's why I was wondering if there was some other way.  I had never taken one apart before and when I tried that bronze button this morning it didn't work.  I'll shoot it with some WD40 and give her another go.
Thanks.

John_Kunkel

Do you have the switch in the ON position when trying to remove the lock cylinder?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

The start position actually, but yeah I was even doing that part right.   It did finally come out after soaking overnight in wd40.   I guess if it was that full of crap I shouldn't be too surprised it failed huh?
Thanks guys.

471_Magnum

I've actually had some success taking those switches apart, them cleaning, greasing and reassembling. Pretty tricky, but it can be done.

Probably not worth the trouble on a pre-'69 switch since those can still be had new.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Ghoste

I was a little amazed at how much gunk was in there.  It's probably not the worst maintenance thing guys could do for their 69's.

471_Magnum

Gunk inside on the contacts or just around the lock cylinder?

Those lock cylinders are supposed to be packed with grease. The actual contacts inside the switch just need a coat of dielectric grease.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Ghoste

No, this was just crap that had gathered around the lock cylnder and then hardened in the grease to the point that I couldn't pull it out.  Automotive fossilization I guess.