News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Interior treatment?

Started by MadScientist, October 19, 2005, 07:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadScientist

Hey all,

Im going to be stripping out the 35 year old interior this winter and wanted to know what is the preferred way to treat the floorpans/roof?  Anyone treat with a rust inhibitor? Dynamat or similar product?

The car is solid for the most part with only light scale rust  is certain places.

Thanks

MS

Mopar440+6

I for one, am planning on doing the interior in Dynamat. Although its expensive its the best sound deadener on the market IMHO. But the interior is a loong way off yet...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

Brock Samson

one thing to be aware of is the carpet fittment...
they come up short at the rear of the doors not quite tucking under completly, i know this was disccused before and is prolly worth bringing up again..
possibly before this gets moved to the interiors section..  ;)

Drop Top

Mostly depends on how bad the rust is. If its bad scale rust use POR-15 or the equivalent. If its light rust. Sand it down and use a good bare metal primer like PPG's DPLF-40. I paint the compleat inside of all my cars with the base color before I paint the outside of the car. It just makes for a cleaner look as your doing the rest of the car.

As far as using Dynamat on the roof, this was my experience with it. I over restored a 69 RR. In Bakersfield, its not uncommon for it to reach 110 in the shade for long periods (days) of time. To make a long story short. Dynamat is heavy and combind with the heat from the sun. The glue on it softend and aloud it to fall down from the roof. We had to remove the headliner and it was a BIG BIG mess. It stayed on the side and floor just not on the roof. We replaced it with something else that was much lighter. We used that bubble wrapped with foil on both sides. You can pick that up cheap, at your local home improvement store.

MadScientist

Because the car was restored 1200 miles from me, I left the interior compeltely intact while the exterior, engine, mechanicals were all gone through (by me and others) but I really wanted to be able to do the interiro myself at home after the car was up and running.  I know this is backwards, but it was the best I could do at the time.

I really havent touched the interior except for removing the passenger side seat cause I had some hot work under that side and didnt want the carpet lighting up.  From what I could tel, it was still all body color and should clean up pretty well.

as for the carpet fitment, does the dynamat effect it as well?

MS