News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Dad crashed his crown vic into a wall at 70 MPH!!!

Started by Rocky, October 21, 2005, 03:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky

I just found out that my dad had an accident in his Crown Vic yesterday.  He was reaching for a piece of paper while going 70 down the freeway.  He lost control, corrected to the left, and over-corrected to the right.  He thought that he had regained control when the car then veered farther to the right and off the freeway.  He saw a wall in front of him and braced for impact.  He is a tough old SOB, and braced so hard that when the airbag deployed, it didn't even hit him (He has honestly been mistaken for Hulk Hogan)  all he got was a bent fingernail, and a mouth full of airbag powder.  The rear panels even folded from the impact, and he had to kick the door open to get out, but the passenger compartment held astonishingly together.  Other than his fingernail, he is just a little sore.  Those crumple zones obviously make a big difference compared to our older cars.

Chargerguy74

glad he walked away, according to the police, crown vics are excellent cars to crash in
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

bull

Dang! Scary stuff. He must have got the speed down a ways below 70 mph before the impact. He's fortunate to be alive.

TruckDriver

:oGlad your dads ok!! WOW!

Now I'm curious to see a pic of your dad too.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Vainglory, Esq.

Wow.  He's gonna be super sore tomorrow.  And probably for the next few months.

You know they say it's better to go limp in a crash rather than tense up.  And it's physically impossible for someone to hold themself in their seat in a crash at that speed.  If the airbag didn't hit him I'm sure it was because the seat belt pre-tensed because of the erratic movement of the car.

4402tuff4u

Wow!! your dad should be counting his blessings. Glad he's ok. Like Vainglory said, he'll be hurting soon enough. The danger from impacts like that is the trauma that your organs go through. Think about the jolt to your insides. But nevertheless, glad he's ok. Now he's got to find a Crown vic that has been rear ended, clip it in half and make one good one. Oh never mind, when Crown vic's get rear ended they explode.  :icon_smile:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Shakey

Quote from: Vainglory on October 21, 2005, 05:25:25 AM
Wow.   He's gonna be super sore tomorrow.  And probably for the next few months.

You know they say it's better to go limp in a crash rather than tense up.   And it's physically impossible for someone to hold themself in their seat in a crash at that speed.   If the airbag didn't hit him I'm sure it was because the seat belt pre-tensed because of the erratic movement of the car.

I was thinking the same thing!  The pain will settle in very shortly.

Glad to hear he's alive!

Old Moparz

Now that's a cool story.  :2thumbs:  It's not too often someone gets to tell about a nasty wreck, & the story comes from the driver who barely gets hurt. Ask him what the air bag powder tastes like. I bet there are a few people on her who are dying to know & it would be fun to see the look on his face when you ask him.  :D

Good news.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Tom_440

Wow! That was a crown vic? Glad to hear your father is OK. I drive the same car, so I'm glad to hear the news.  Just dont hit the rear at 90 mph...

Shakey

RE: Air Bag Powder Taste

I was in a body shop a few years back and former hockey great Eddie Shack's prowler was in there with the front end all bashed up.  Eddie was known for his wilder lifestyle, out drinking after the games, whorin' around the town back in the day. 

It seems he had not let up as he got older as the manager had pointed out the heavy lipstick marks on the passenger side air bag! :icon_smile_big:

RD

glad he walked away from it, sorry he had to go through it, happy that you still have a father to hug.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

CFMopar

Pics of your dad   :icon_smile_big:

"Eat your vitamines hulk-a-maniacs"
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Charger_Fan

Geez, that's one demolished front end! :o

I'm glad to hear he's ok. :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

ChargerBill

You know that wasn't just dumb luck don't you? :angel: I'm glad you still have your dad...I know what it's like to lose one. And look at the Vic...the passenger area was barely even impacted...
Life is a highway...

Silver R/T

seems like he was going faster hmm that boat took that damage well
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Todd Wilson

Did he remember to get the piece of paper before he got out?    :icon_smile_big:

Todd

chrisII

hard impacts like that will leave ya sore as heck..ive never ben in a serious crash on the street, but i got turned into the concrete head on in a 69 coronet, and hit it hard nuff to crack an X in 12 inches of concrete that was backfilled with dirt the first foot. i hit at a slight angle with the rf but the car only went about another 15 feet after the hit wich was at 40+ at the time i had a crappy fiberglass racing seat but the 5 point harness did its job. ive taken a number of similar hard hits. when i was in my 20s i normaly felt fine after a couple days. its a good thing your dads in good shape still as we get older we dont heal as well.

SuBLimE 69

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on October 21, 2005, 04:22:09 AM
glad he walked away, according to the police, crown vics are excellent cars to crash in
I've bent a bunch of Crown Vics.  Totaled 3.  They are a damn tuff car.  I have banged one around so bad in a pursuit I had to get out (twice) and reset the fuel cut off swtich...Then get back in the chase.....hehe
Quote from: Tom_440 on October 21, 2005, 10:25:07 AM
Wow! That was a crown vic? Glad to hear your father is OK. I drive the same car, so I'm glad to hear the news. Just dont hit the rear at 90 mph...
Tom, U get the rear end recall done yet ?  My Sgt. nearly got killed when his burst into flames from a nasty rearend impact.

This ticket is only $69.00 ?  If I'd have known that I'd have been going FASTER !

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.