News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Plymouth GTX 440 What's it worth Question

Started by 1968Coronet500, August 08, 2008, 08:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968Coronet500

I have a Numbers Matching 440 Plymouth GTX with 48,000 original miles. It's been sitting at the bodyshop for 2 years now, partially restored.

The quarter panels are done, it's sanded down to bare metal. I bought a complete Legendary Interior along with a bunch of other new parts.

The GTX was running and driving before it was sent to the bodyshop. I have a small fortune into it right now. The motor is still in it and to be honest the engine bay is so nice, it doesn't have to be repainted.

I have a perfect buildsheet, fender tag, and receipts going back to the mid '70's. It has been parked in a garage since 1981.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm seriously thinking about selling it, but I know I will never be able to replace it.

The70RT

around 15-20? but with the soft market and not done maybe less :shruggy:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

69_500

I'm not too much up on the prices of the GTX's but I would think that it would be somewhere around the $23-28K range if its close to how it looks in the picture you posted.

The70RT

Quote from: 69_500 on August 08, 2008, 08:41:43 PM
I'm not too much up on the prices of the GTX's but I would think that it would be somewhere around the $23-28K range if its close to how it looks in the picture you posted.

It's not. The body is sanded down to metal

472 R/T SE

A buddy of mine sold this earlier this year at a Silver Auction for $27k.  It's an original A4 exterior, b5 interior, bucket seat, N96 car.  It's just as nice in person if not nicer than photos.  A local Chebby flipper bought it and is asking $39k.

:iagree: with Dennis.  Depends on options.

1968Coronet500

Sweet GTX :drool5: I like the color combination!!

I'm into it for $35k at this point, I have some other cars on the back burner and another '71 440 Numbers Matching GTX I'm going to sell. The headliner is mint and doesn't need replacing, this was the first mopar I've owned that the mice didn't ruin it.  Fired right up on a -10 Below winter day, didn't smoke and sounded really good. Not to mention it was never hacked with.

The car could be finished in less than 2 months.  The bodyshop I'm using are excellent, but swamped right now, and I've had the registered and insured for 2 years, not being able to enjoy it.

The70RT

I would finish it so you can recoup as much $ as you can. If your that close why not unless your in a pinch.

1968Coronet500

I'm not in a pinch, just not into the cars right now like I used to be and tired of waiting to have it finished.  I just sold off 2 of my Challengers, 1 to go still.  With work and everything else I have even driven my '68 Charger to the car shows. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it finished!!  I love the color combination and with the exception of the driver's seat and the rug, the interior was perfect, even the dash pad is un-cracked.

MOPARHOUND!

Cool color combo, red with red interior.  Also, I've never seen a silver GTX with a blue interior in 25 years of paying attetntion to silver 69 GTXs (there is a silver/silver GTX in the barn).

I too say 15-20,000 unfiinished as it sets.  You may be in too deep to let it go now??
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

1968Coronet500

Thanks for the complements on the color!!

I checked NADA, not that it's the "all be all" in value, but I expected to have a little of $40K into it and looking great, not a rotissorie of course, but a flawless paint driver.  Here is what NADA shows, eitherway there is plenty of room to finish the car without loosing money, especially considering the documentation and everything works.  I guess it's in the eye of the beholder??  Hopefully if I get rid of the other cars I will get motivated and keep it!??!

PRICING      
Original MSRP: $3,416
      Low Retail                    Average          Retail Value           High Retail
Base Price                            $14,800     $27,800          $48,600
Options         
440/375 HP 4bbl V8 Engine    40%           40%     40%
TOTAL PRICE                         $20,720       $38,920  $68,040

69_500

Although you shouldn't use the $68K figure they post, because that is adding on 40% value for it having the 440, which was standard on GTX's. So it would be the $48,600 figure that would be the high water mark according to them.

MOPARHOUND!

Don't know if you have seen the site, but here is member 69hemi's great website with step by step restoration pic's of his progress on a red 69 GTX with siilver interior (a few buttons don't work, as he isn't to those stages yet):

http://www.69hemi.com/gtx2/restoration.html
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

68charger383

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

gtx6970

Having had four 1969 GTX's I have an inside idea.

a couple things really help or hurt these cars in values , thats how nice or bad the rear chrome trim and  how complete and condition the  body side mouldings are

looks like it has or had  body damage to the right rear 1/4  ,,, if it's been repaired how well was it done. is it original sheetmetal matching numbers engine and transmission

In todays market ,,,,,,,   :shruggy:

1968Coronet500

It is numbers matching without question.  I would never sell it for $15,000.  Having owned so many mopars in varying stages; I know this was a nice original car to redo without question. 

Market is down for sure, I will have to have it finished; I'm kind of burned out right now; but there is no sense selling it in a panic..

I appreciate the advice from the members!!

konigcharger

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.