News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rust pores - what to do? Calling Drop Top

Started by Charger_Croatia, October 21, 2005, 04:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_Croatia

Right now I'm in the paint removing process. When I got her, one side was primered but other one left with only one layer and due to longer staying outside some surface rust got her. After sanding some minor rust pores left and I'm not sure how to handle this. Unfortunately I don't have good choice for media blasting, only big system in shipyard which is using sand for blasting (quite rough).

I noticed one thread regarding trunk lid and suggestion from Drop Top to do etching before bare metal primer (not ot use self etch primer).

I'm not familiar in total with that process and that's why I'm calling Drop Top for possible explanation. How to do that and what chemical to use. There are some different products here but it is possible to do comparison and find something suitable.

I appreciate any advice. Batteries in my camera are dead so I'll take pics when after replacing them.

'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

Drop Top

When you say "pores". Do you mean pits? If so how big are they and how big of an area do they cover?

As far as using Metal Etch. Its made by most of the major paint manufacturers. Its a metal cleaner. Some manufacturers call it metal cleaner. It comes in a plastic bottle and is blue in color. It has an acid bass to it. It will remove and kill any light rust that is on the metal. It also opens up the pores in the metal to allow the primer to stick to the metal. It is deluded 3 to 1 with water. Thats 3 parts water to 1 part metal etch. The way I use it. Pore it on the area or on a scuff pad and scrub the rust with the scuff pad. Some people put it in a spray bottle to applie it. Thats OK but watch out breathing the mist and where the mist lands. Then rinse with water and dry it immediately with a clean rag and compressed air. Then it is ready for primer. Don't let it dry without reinsing it with water. It will leave a white residue and that will not let the primer stick.

Charger_Croatia

Thanks for quick reply, I appreciate that.
I used word "pores" , probably is was appropriate to me (I'm still learning English words). I guess your term is exact. It was a surface rust and after  sanding some small pits were left. I wouldn't like to go any deeper with sanding paper. I must say that the biggest problem could be on trunk lid and on driver doors too. To bad my camera is dead but I need to take some pics as soon as possible so you can have better understanding of situation.

For me it is important to be able to fix that as much as possible.
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport