News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AC/DC Back In Black 2-sided disc

Started by bull, October 21, 2005, 04:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I bought the "Back In Black" DVD/CD yesterday at Target, took it home, popped it in the CD player and quickly discovered that the CD side would not skip to the next song. It will fast forward but won't skip to the next song without the player freezing up and then going on to the next CD (5 disc changer). So I returned it for another just like it and the same thing happened. However when I put it in the DVD player and play it through the stereo it works fine and it works fine on the computer. Is there some new CD formatting going on that I don't know about? Is my CD player obsolete now? It's a pretty high quality Denon stereo with Klipsch speakers; the thing really cranks and I've never had any problems with it until now but it is about 12 years old. Does anyone else own this same disc? Have you had any problems?

It's a pretty cool disc. It has the DVD with a 30-minute video on the band's transformation after Bon Scott died along with all the songs you play on your DVD player or computer. The other side of course has just the CD that doesn't work right. It will play fine all the way through unless you try skipping ahead. Maybe they don't want to let you miss anything.

4402tuff4u

I've heard of similar complaints from CD's purchased overseas and played on domestic stereos. It might be a copy protection thing or the whole batch of CD's in Target for that particular album is defective.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

BrianShaughnessy

The 2 sided CD/DVD deals have a warning on the package that they may not play in a regular CD player.   I saw that at the store awhile back so I put whatever it was back down and got the regular copy.    They're supposed to play in a PC IIRC.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

TeeWJay426

I have the same problem with my Springsteen Devils & Dust CD, which is also a DVD on the opposite side. Plays fine in some players, others won't play it at all. Depends on the player.... and it doesn't seem to be related to the age of the player; it will play fine in my '98 Intrepid, won't play at all in my '03 Ram.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Ponch ®

Quote from: TeeWJay426 on October 21, 2005, 09:20:50 AM
I have the same problem with my Springsteen Devils & Dust CD,  

is that the one with the song about "unconventional" sex with a mexican hooker?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

ChargerBill

Yeah. it's a formatting issue, but you better get used to it. I'd prolly wait to buy a new CD player for at least a couple of years because 2 sided DVD/CD combos are the way things will likely keep going. Also, with new compression and blue lazer technology, DVD's will be changing soon as well, not to mention the big push toward expiring DVD's...you watch them a few times and they erase themselves. With the new iPod technology and the ability to purchase downloadable videos/movies online as files it is just a matter of time before everything completely changes once again. I'm hoping that the new mp4 technology along with double density double sided DVD's will mean that 10 movies can fit on one DVD, but we'll have to wait and see. And then there's the possibility of TiVo becoming an exportable file to watch/listen to in your car...wild stuff. Buy it today and it's obsolete tomorrow...welcome to the 21st century.
Life is a highway...

dodgecharger-fan

If your PC can play it fine, rip it and burn yourself a copy on a regular CD.
It's legal for your own use and should solve the problem unless you've got a really old player that can't deal with recordable media.

I know it's a workaround and at an extra cost, but I like the idea of the dual sided discs and wouldn't want to spend money on the regular CDs just to get it to work on a particular player. If you've already got a burner in your computer, the cost is minimal.

My CDs are outlasting my players, so I wouldn't try to buy just to accommodate the player.

TeeWJay426

Quote from: Ponch on October 21, 2005, 12:43:19 PM
Quote from: TeeWJay426 on October 21, 2005, 09:20:50 AM
I have the same problem with my Springsteen Devils & Dust CD, 

is that the one with the song about "unconventional" sex with a mexican hooker?

Well, depending on your definition of 'unconventional', I guess that would be a yes..... although, I never picked up on her being Mexican- I'll have to check on that. The song is called 'Reno', BTW.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed