News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

i need help with transmission diagnosis

Started by 1968_Charger, August 10, 2008, 07:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968_Charger

recently my transmission has started acting funny. while driving in d it will shift from 3rd back to 2nd on its own with very little pressure on the throttle. if i give it gas, it revs then its like it catches and goes back to third. i tried adjusting the kickdown band but that seemed to make it worst. also it is between 1/2 to 1 quart overfilled right now. could that be the problem? the torque converter is a new one i put in about 3 months ago and it has been working fine. this new problem started when i swapped my motor last week. kickdown cable seems to be adjusted right, and playing with it doesnt help any. any ideas? and what is the proper way to adjust the kickdown band? i tightened it then backed it out 2 1/4 turns and locked it there. since i did that its seems to be "slipping" worst.  thanks for any help

1968_Charger

also just to add. it only starts doing it once the car gets warmed up fully. i drained about 1/2 to 3/4 a quart and its still doing it. the fluid smelt a little burnt. also first is now slipping a little before 1st catches

RD

tightened it to what?  it needs to be tightened to 72 inch/lbs, then backed off "roughly" 2 1/4 turns and the securing nut tightened.

sounds like you have TOO much throttle pressure.  (kickdown is actually improperly named).  look at it this way... if you push the carb linkage all the way to the back (when the car is not running) the carb linkage should cause the "kickdown" to be fully engaged at around 4/5 of total movement.  If you move your carb linkage to WOT and the "kickdown" is being activated at 1/2 throttle... you need to back it off. 

do a search for kickdown on this site, john kunkel has printed instructions or has put up a picture with the entire process somewhere.  too much to type this late at night.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

1968_Charger

well i have a cable for kickdown. and its adjusted like everyone says to. the fluid i drained out tonight was very dark and smelled burnt. it was alot darker in color than what is on the dipstick. i drained it from one of the cooler lines. what else could be my problem? as for the kickdown band i turned it until it was snug then backed it out 2 1/4 and tightened the locknut. i didnt have a proper way to torque it.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 1968_Charger on August 10, 2008, 11:05:47 PM
well i have a cable for kickdown. and its adjusted like everyone says to. the fluid i drained out tonight was very dark and smelled burnt. it was alot darker in color than what is on the dipstick. i drained it from one of the cooler lines. what else could be my problem? as for the kickdown band i turned it until it was snug then backed it out 2 1/4 and tightened the locknut. i didnt have a proper way to torque it.

Sounds like you have some burned clutches/bands....time to pull the transmission.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RD

sadly, if its darker, that means particles are in the fluid.... EEEK!

:iagree: w/ron, it should be dropped and inspected.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

John_Kunkel

Dropping from 3rd to 2nd is usually caused by worn governor sealing rings but the slipping before it re-engages is an entirely different problem. Sounds like the front clutches are fried.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

1968_Charger

well that sucks. i just put that transmission in a few months back. it was used but i expected to last longer than this. i think since ill be putting a rebuilt trans in now, im going to go with a manual valve body. any suggestions? also any chance that if i change my fluid my transmission might run better?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 1968_Charger on August 11, 2008, 10:10:56 PM
well that sucks. i just put that transmission in a few months back. it was used but i expected to last longer than this. i think since ill be putting a rebuilt trans in now, im going to go with a manual valve body. any suggestions? also any chance that if i change my fluid my transmission might run better?

Turbo Action sells a nice forward pattern, Pro Street manual valvebody with low band apply.  :2thumbs:

Once the cluthes are burnt it's time to rebuild....a fluid swap won't change anything.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1968_Charger

ill definately be getting that valve body.  but i drove the car around all evening and it never dropped to second from third. it was a cooler day today so maybe it was overheating on the hot days and causing problems. im thinking about trying a trans cooler instead of running it into the radiator. what do you guys think?

RD

Quote from: 1968_Charger on August 13, 2008, 10:16:00 PM
ill definately be getting that valve body. but i drove the car around all evening and it never dropped to second from third. it was a cooler day today so maybe it was overheating on the hot days and causing problems. im thinking about trying a trans cooler instead of running it into the radiator. what do you guys think?

do both

1968_Charger

will i be able to swap from auto to manual valve body with transmission in the car?