News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stripped - please advise!

Started by dpm68, October 22, 2005, 09:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpm68

Hi, I have a 4-Runner with a 22RE (4 cyl) that I just finished helicoiling the head (in car) on all of the exhaust bolt holes, (that worked out great) but it turns out that spark hole no.4 is gone too. It turns out that this is a common problem for 'Yotas (soft aluminum heads.) What I'd like to know is - is it ppossible to helicoil the plug hole without removing the head? I could bump it until no.4 is at TDC and vacuum out any shavings and the tang too...has anyone ever done something like this, or am I bonkers.? Thanks for looking, and I will go drink now... Dave Mika

mikej678

In the January 2004 issue of Car Craft on "The Last Page" there is a tool called Back Tap.
They say it can be used without removing the head.
I haven't looked but, they say it is avalible from Starr Products.

www.starrproducts.com

Hope this helps.
Mike

zstalker

I'm not an expert on Toyota 4-cylinders, but it seems to me that there are bazillions of them out there.  I would think it would really be worth your time and money to just get another head, with all good threads.  Putting a newer head, you'd be sure that you're starting with a better head that re-working your old one...
...just my two cents....
~Erik~
This ground is not the rock I thought it to be.
I was wrong.
This changes everything.

dkn1997

had the same exact thing happen to me with an alluminum head on an 86 B2600 mazda pickup.  I drilled it out, tapped it, and then swabbed out the cylinder with a magnet on one of those flexible grabber things, then I shop vac'd the hole out.

worked fine, head was never taken off.
RECHRGED

Steve P.

Quote from: dkn1997 on October 22, 2005, 09:38:45 PM
had the same exact thing happen to me with an alluminum head on an 86 B2600 mazda pickup.   I drilled it out, tapped it, and then swabbed out the cylinder with a magnet on one of those flexible grabber things, then I shop vac'd the hole out.

worked fine, head was never taken off.

What good did the magnet do???
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

8WHEELER

:popcrn:  yeah what he said........

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Chryco Psycho

it was an alum magnet  ;D
cutting it slowly & backing out with the tap covered in grease should minimize the alum getting into the cyl

cudaken

Will one of the aluminum magnet's help me to get the chrew up bearings out of my 440 Neil ;D

Cuda Ken
I am back