News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Irid. Paint?

Started by WingCharger, August 22, 2008, 02:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WingCharger

i have seen the word Irid. after many paint codes and chips. What does Irid. mean, and is there any difference between Irid. paint and metallic?

I am not a paint guy, so I am sorry if this is a stupid question.

mikepmcs

Iridium was discovered in 1803 by British scientist Smithson Tennant in London, England along with osmium in the dark-coloured residue of dissolving crude platinum in aqua regia (a mixture of hydrochloric and nitric acid). The element was named after the Greek word for rainbow (ίρις, iris; iridium means "of rainbows") because many of its salts are strongly coloured. (wikipedia quote)

And yes to your other question, but I'm not a scientist or chemical/physical property expert on this, so here you go. :icon_smile_big:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic

Here's a pic of some iridium sunglasses
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Charger-Bodie

Some paint brands call it poly, some metallic and some call it iridescent.

I think its R-M that calls metallic "Irid"
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............