News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 6-pack running to rich

Started by 70sixpkrt, September 07, 2008, 01:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sixpkrt

I just pulled #7 and #8 plug since those were the easy ones. I am running rich. I have 78 on the passenger side and 83 on the drivers side. What number should I go with? I am using NGK-BCP6ES plugs gapped to .45. It is timed at 14 initial and 35 total. I ahve the Eddy heads, aluminum manifold with the blocked valley pan. Should I have staggered jetting?

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Animal

Ground strap shows no heat , what are the cam specs? how much idle time is on those plugs? , have the carbs been set up correctly , are you running a vac can? , maybe the motor might like a little more spark advance @ idle.

Check the PVs , maybe go to a #5 heat range plug , what's the CR?

oldschool

when i use to run a 6-pac w/ a mopar .557 solid cam my jets were the same on both sides.i also remember the jets being in the low 70's.also check your power valve,you might need a lower one depending on your idle vaccum.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

471_Magnum

Factory jetting on a six pack is like 62 or something... REAL lean. It's unlikely jetting is the problem.

You've got eddy heads, which means no heat cross over, so you're choke won't function properly. It's probably opening way too slow and fouling the plugs. You'll probably need to convert to a manual choke, or ditch it altogether.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

70sixpkrt

Choke is disconnected. The cam is Straightline Cam 234/242@.050 540/525 solid with 112 lsa. Power valve is 4.5. Comp is 10.25:1. I changed the plugs before I went to Pinks All Out. Ran it once and then the drive home. All together about 100 miles on them. I have 14" of vacuum.

oldschool

are only the rear plugs fouling? could be something with the rear carb. are all the carbs stock? have the outboard metering plates been drilled larger? there are also two idle mixture screws in the baseplate,check those too.when idleing check to see if fuel is dripping in the center carb. if it is replace the power valve,or check the fuel level in the bowls.
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

firefighter3931

Ricky, i would look at the ignition wires for excessive resistance. Get an ohm meter and start testing.  ;)

Those plugs are the correct heat range and the carbs were dialed in on the dyno at MEW correct ?

One other thing is your PV....with as much idle vacuum as you have i would use something in the 8.5 range.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

70sixpkrt

Ron yes the carbs. were dialed in on the motor on the dyno. For some reason when pulling in and out of the garage I can smell it real bad. I just got off the phone with Ben at Promax and he said maybe go with 80 or 81s on all 4 corners. He said it looks like one side is hotter than the other.  He aslo said it can be my mixture screws on the outboards.

firefighter3931

Ricky, the rich smell at idle has nothing to do with the jetting.....the idle mixture circuits in your 3 carbs control that. Try squirting some carb cleaner into yout idle bleed holes because they could be clogged up. If that has no effect then the next step is to adjust the idle mixture screws as Promax suggested.

As i mentioned earlier also look at your ignition....weak spark will send lots of unburnt fuel out the exhaust.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

70sixpkrt

QuoteRicky, the rich smell at idle has nothing to do with the jetting.....the idle mixture circuits in your 3 carbs control that. Try squirting some carb cleaner into yout idle bleed holes because they could be clogged up. If that has no effect then the next step is to adjust the idle mixture screws as Promax suggested.

As i mentioned earlier also look at your ignition....weak spark will send lots of unburnt fuel out the exhaust.

Thanks for your suggestion Ron. I will try the carb. cleaner this weekend. As far as the ignition, I will have to get an ohm meter to check the plug wires. The wires are 2 yrs old and look good. It looks like I have a nice strong spark. I am wondering if the mixture screws in the outboard carbs are too far out. I remember last time I was checking the mixture on the center carb, the motor would not stumble when turning in the screws. Ben said that can be an indication the outboards need to be turned in a tad.

oldschool

when i ran a 6 pack set up, i remember the base plate idle screws on the outboard carbs being opened just a little bit. maybe 1/4 out,it was not much.
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

70sixpkrt

Before I change anything, I'm going to play with the mixture screws on the outboards. I think I have them out too far.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on September 08, 2008, 06:40:41 PM
Before I change anything, I'm going to play with the mixture screws on the outboards. I think I have them out too far.

Let us know how it turns out Ricky....give those blleds a squirt while you have the air cleaner off.  :2thumbs:

Ron

70sixpkrt

QuoteLet us know how it turns out Ricky....give those blleds a squirt while you have the air cleaner off. 

Will do Ron. I talked to Cab Burge over the phone and he gave me some tips. Nice guy. :2thumbs: He races 6-packs.

62 Max

If you are out more than a quarter turn on the end carbs,you are going to probably be too rich.They are very critical and you can't set them with a vacuum gauge.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 62 Max on September 10, 2008, 08:39:33 PM
If you are out more than a quarter turn on the end carbs,you are going to probably be too rich.They are very critical and you can't set them with a vacuum gauge.

:iagree: Listen to Max....he knows the 6-pack induction system and how to make it work  :2thumbs:

Ron

70sixpkrt

QuoteIf you are out more than a quarter turn on the end carbs,you are going to probably be too rich.They are very critical and you can't set them with a vacuum gauge.

I have not had time to check it out but I want to say the end carbs. are about 1/2 to 3/4 out. I think that is my problem. I won't be able to work on it unti next weekend. Thanks!!!!