News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

not enough power to spin the wheels. whats up?

Started by 1968_Charger, September 12, 2008, 10:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968_Charger

my charger doesnt have the power to spin the wheels from a stop if i just step on it. ive got a rebuilt 360 and a 727 with a cheetah manual valve body. once in a while it will seem to "grip" and they will spin. i was wondering if you guys think it may be something in the rear end, maybe stripped gear, if its a sure grip and its wore out could that be the cause? i know the motor is good, its rebuilt, and the 727 has been swapped also.  shouldnt the 360 be able to spin the tires over without powerbraking it?   i have 26" tires and my rear gear is either a 3.23 or a 3.55  by using the calculator. im not sure if its suregrip or not. im also starting to wonder if its the carb, but its a new edelbrock 600 or 650, i cant remember which.
any ideas guys?

gordo1968charger

is your throttle cable adjusted properly,mine was nt and was nt opening up the secondarys at all.
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

1968_Charger

my cable seems to be adjusted fine. and i dont need a kickdown with the valve body i have.
thanks for the reply.

suntech

If i understand you right, you want to light up the tires, while holding it on the brakes, and you have no line lock. There are many factors that you need to think about.
How good are your rear brakes, how sticky are your tires, how sticky is the pavement etc.
3.55 is maybe not ideal for a "underpowered " tirefryer, but a happy medium, that should be ok.
What about stallspeed??
I guess the easiest way, is to install a line lock, so you dont have to fight your rear brakes :shruggy:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Ghoste

Your rearend is fine although the ratio may not be ideal for what you are trying to do.  Essentially, your 360 is not supplying enough torque to overcome the tires adhesion.  There are many ways around this, more powerful engine, deeper final drive ratio, higher stall speed torque converter, mechanical issues which may be reducing power output.  Or maybe, your chassis is properly matched to the drivetrain and you are experiencing a better goal than "tire frying", good traction.

1968_Charger

ok so you guys dont think a stock 360 should be able to chirp the wheels on takeoff from a stop. as far as power braking the car to spin the wheels i dont think that would be a problem, although i never tried it. the thing is, i figured that it should be able to chirp the wheels on takeoff.
also my torque converter is a new b&m. it had an advertised stall of 900rpm over stock.

bordin34

My old 74 318 2bbl with 80,000 miles would roast the tires for 15ft from a 5mph roll with the open 8-1/4. It would also roast the tire all day long when power braked.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

1968_Charger

so i should be able to spin the tires over then?  so whats my problem?
ive always thought it felt underpowered from a stop

Ghoste

How wide are your tires, what is your final drive ratio for sure, what is your camshaft, compression, intake, heads, is it all in tune?  The list is big.

RD

i know burn outs are cool, but they are really NOT what you want if you like beating people in races.  but then again, if its for fun and entertainment, this is what you do.

pump up the brakes.

raise up the rpm a tad (1000 rpm)...

then just romp on it!

if that doesnt break the tires loose... then look at your motor mounts / trans mount.  they could be in bad shape and not allowing for a more direct push of power to the rear wheels.

A 360/727 with 3.55 gears should, IMO, easily roast the wheels.  Stock 360 or not.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

bordin34

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

John_Kunkel

Once again the term "neutral drop" keeps buzzin' in my head.   :no:  >:D
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

1968_Charger

thanks for all the replies
i know burnouts are not ideal and traction should be my concern, but this is just a car for fun and id really like to be able to at least spin the tires over just from stomping down on the gas. my tires are 255/45/17 and im not sure what all the motor has in it but its been rebuilt and has a new cam in it.(i noticed when i put a new intake gasket on it) it seem s to run fina and timing is set correctly on it i would say just assume its stock or close to it. could the issue be my carb? i had a 318 in the car before this 360 and it seemed to be the same problem. i just thought the 318 didnt have the power. when i put the 360 in i used the same carb since i had put it on the 318 less than a year ago.

RD

Quote from: RD on September 13, 2008, 01:03:42 PM
i know burn outs are cool, but they are really NOT what you want if you like beating people in races. but then again, if its for fun and entertainment, this is what you do.

pump up the brakes.

raise up the rpm a tad (1000 rpm)...

then just romp on it!

if that doesnt break the tires loose... then look at your motor mounts / trans mount. they could be in bad shape and not allowing for a more direct push of power to the rear wheels.

A 360/727 with 3.55 gears should, IMO, easily roast the wheels. Stock 360 or not.

I should have added.. while in "D" on the shifter :D

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 13, 2008, 03:44:09 PM

Once again the term "neutral drop" keeps buzzin' in my head. :no: >:D

LOL!!!! 
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

1968_Charger

although i havent tried i think it would do a powerbrake burnout, or a neutral drop burnout. what im looking for is why i cant just step on the gas from a stop and at least squeal the tires. i would have thought the motor would have enought torque for that.

Spike

What kind of cam (lift, duration) and is it a stock torque convertor?

1968_Charger

not sure on the cam , but it sounds pretty mild, thats why i was saying consider it a stock motor. the converter is a b&m holeshot, its supposed to be 900 over stock stall

UFO

Quote from: 1968_Charger on September 13, 2008, 03:15:42 AM
my cable seems to be adjusted fine. and i dont need a kickdown with the valve body i have.
thanks for the reply.
No kickdown linkage, You are shifting it manually right? Not trying to start off in third gear.

Richard72

Put A linelock in.... my 72- 318 with a 727 and a 4.10 smokes tyres all day. (although) that may be the answer just change your diff gearing
Although 3.55 should be enough..( just a thought your not carring around any heavy weight in the boot are you...)

Tyres mine are 28inch goodyears TA they just dont stick at all. Point being...Even with hozzies drag tyres she will still heat up the rear.
Good luck.
R.

1968_Charger

i really dont want to go any bigger on the gear ratio, because i do alot of driving around the area on 55mph roads.
after playing with the timing a little i was able to gun it in my driveway today and spun the tires for a second    :2thumbs: 
looks like i got a suregrip in it. (i left two tire marks)

FLG

A easy (though less fun) method of seeing if you have a suregrip unit or not is to simply jack up the rear and rotate one tire. If the other rotates in the same direction then its posi, if its the opposite then you have an open rear. I HAVE seen my open very rarely spin both tires for a second, if both wheels have roughly the same amount of traction is the only time its possible.

1968_Charger

well i guess timing was my issue. i can stomp on it now in fiirst and the tires break loose fior about 3 seconds. thats what i was looking for. i thought this motor should have had a little more power than it did.
thanks guys for all the input.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 1968_Charger on September 15, 2008, 08:27:49 PM
well i guess timing was my issue. i can stomp on it now in fiirst and the tires break loose fior about 3 seconds. thats what i was looking for. i thought this motor should have had a little more power than it did.
thanks guys for all the input.

Timing the engine properly is allways beneficial. Tuning, tuning and more tuning.....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs