News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

hemigeno

When I took these pictures, they had already removed a whole bunch of that stranded shipping tape which used to be so common back in the '60s-70s.  I wondered what the tape was for, until spying the shipping label in the last picture.  The tape was so they could wrap some bags around the U-joints for shipping to keep grease from slinging out.

hemigeno

These last four pictures are from an equally-important parts discovery.  I had mentioned to Davtona (the previous owner) that I wasn't sure what to do about getting a rear package tray, since the reproductions weren't as correct as I'd prefer.  Dave seemed to remember that the original might be back in his shop, but didn't want to promise anything until he had a chance to look.  We both had just neglected to worry about the package tray when I originally picked the car up.

Well, Dave and I both got home a little after midnight on Saturday morning from the Michigan trip.  By 1:00am, Dave is ripping through his parts stash at home, and guess what he finds... the original package tray!

The first picture shows one oddity about this particular piece.  Notice the blue peeking through around the edge?  The whole tray was originally blue, but was dyed black - probably by Creative Industries to solve a parts shortage.

You can also see that the jute padding is date coded February of '69.  I am amazed at the sheer number of parts which Chrysler date-stamped.  Why on earth does PADDING need a date stamp?? ??  While it's interesting, it can be maddening 40 years later to worry about all this stuff.

Anyway, I was elated to get Dave's phone call (he managed to wait until 9am Saturday morning) letting me know what he found.

Thanks again, Dave!

:cheers:

hemigeno

That's all the pictures I have to post at the moment.  Right now, the plans are to hit Carlisle's swap meets, and swing by Michigan either Sunday or Monday depending on when I head out from Carlisle.  When I spoke with Vance earlier today, he still had not put the engine on the dyno.  Maybe by then I'll have HP & torque numbers to report.

mikepmcs

I was excited when I saw this thread in my new replies.  I was not disappointed.  Beautiful is all I can say and thanks again for taking the time to write everything down for us. :2thumbs:
You guys are doing a wonderful job and I'm really at a loss for words except I noticed my mouth was hanging wide open as I was reading through and looking at pictures.  I actually laughed at myself because of it. 

Motor sounds awesome!!!

Now I am only saying this next line because you said we could.  I am way out of my league here so forgive me.
I'm sure it is mocked up like you said but the only thing that caught my eye was in the brake pedal setup.  One of the bolts appears to just be hanging there while the others are straight(ie: they looked tight and the one I saw did not)  I'm sure it's just not all the way put together but just in case.

Thanks again for posting.  :cheers:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

pettybird

if you're going to pass through on Monday take the detour up to my shop--it's only about 35 mins out of the way.  I know this because I just had a friend pass through from Detroit on his way to DC...  it's totally worth seeing. 

did you find a stripe on your axle bumpers?  I found them on the '67 GTX right above the ribbed detail.

are you going to do the firewall-component overspray? 

if you decide to change the muffler hangers you'll have to disconnect the exhaust to do it--I can't imagine it's worth the time. 

mikepmcs

EDIT:  The brake thing......scratch what I said, I looked at the picture more closely, everything is fine.  My bad. You can :slap: me.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

hemigeno

Thanks for the kind words, Mike - and there won't be any :slap: coming from me anyway.  I appreciate any feedback, as you never know what little detail can get easily overlooked.  Glad you're enjoying the progress pics.

Doug, I'd love to stop off and see you guys' shop - with the caveat being when I have enough time to sufficiently drool all over that HemiDaytona and Steve's old R6 car... not to mention the other cool rides stashed around there!  I may or may not be on a time budget to get home by then.  It's a 15-16 hour drive to Carlisle, and I may end up having to leave home Wednesday in order to get to eastern PA by Thursday afternoon (so that I can get a prime trailer parking spot).  Will the shop be open on Sunday afternoon/evening?  Most of the crew may still be in PA at the show, I suppose.  That's what time I may be cruising through that general vicinity, although I haven't routed anything out yet.  Something to think about, for sure.

Was the stripe on my axle bumpers similar to what you found on your 'X?  

I thought it seemed familiar from a previous discussion, and that was partly the reason I snapped that photo.  And yes, the engine compartment will never look as nice as it does now...   :lol:   It'll get all kinds of overspray after everything's installed.  If I know Vance, he'll probably put overspray on some stuff and then crudely wipe part of it off to mimic Creative's poor attempt at cleaning up after themselves.  I can already hear some people (especially at local shows) commenting on what a crappy job was done on that "restored" car.  Yup, just like it should be...

Oh, and we should be getting the new exhaust hangers along with the other missing pieces of the complete exhaust system.  I had already found one Feb '69 muffler and correct tailpipes, but the balance of the NOS exhaust components are being bought as a package deal.  Hopefully we won't have to go back and re-do any of that stuff, since you're right, 10 minutes after the car first starts up those hanger/clamp nuts will probably already be seized. :rotz:

pettybird

yep--those are the stripes. 

I don't know when I'm leaving to come home from Carlisle--I haven't bothered to ask the boss.  :lol:

Steve's R6 car will be in our restoration tent with my white GTX at Carlisle.  of course, the Hemi 'tona still needs to be drooled on.  I'll find out what space the cars will be at. 

I don't know when they are leaving, but we just got in a REAL '69 Yenko L72 Camaro and a '70 Boss 9...both mint and both sold.  we just got a '53 Buick Skylark, too--nothing like adding nearly a million dollars' worth of inventory to the shop in three parking spaces! 

proof it's good being me:  the Yenko is much faster than the Boss 9  :nana:

Daytona R/T SE

Geno !

All I can say is ... WOW !  :o

Your car is looking TERRIFIC !  :faint:

:2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

tan top

:o :o :o :dance:  wow thats  looking  awesome  ...  :drool5:
NOS drive shaft  also :coolgleamA:

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Magnumcharger

This thread is a great source of information not only for the restoration of a Daytona Charger, but any '68 - '70 B body.
I'll be using it as a guide for the reassembly of my '68 Charger R/T, which has been apart wayyyyyyy to long.
Thanks Geno for putting it out there for everybody!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

PocketThunder

Geno, how is the Daytona comming along?  Are you gonna make it to Talladega in two months?   I will not be there, i couldnt swing the trip.

Paul

BTW: You dont look a day over 43..  :icon_smile_big:    :icon_smile_big:   :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hemigeno

Gee, thanks Paul   :P

As far as the Daytona resto goes, I've had a dickens of a time getting some needed parts from one of the usual NOS parts vendors who says they have a bunch of stuff we could use.  One batch finally arrived in early August, but another round of parts is still needed.  Plus, there was a setback on the engine's hydraulic roller lifters that kept the engine from being painted/installed for a while longer while Vance sorted out the problem, got replacement parts and another timeslot at the dyno shop.

All of those delays mean that the Talladega reunion (and the Monster Mopar Weekend for sure) is probably out for the Daytona's debut.  Good Lord willing I still plan to go, even if I have to hitchhike to get there.  Sure wish you could have driven/taken the hillside hemi down for the show, as that would have been fun to see.

I've been extremely derelict in posting an update to this thread, as I've been to Vance's twice since the last round of pictures.  There hasn't been just a whole lot of change in the car's condition since then though, which has contributed to my delinquency.

PocketThunder

Quote from: hemigeno on September 03, 2009, 11:45:06 AM
Gee, thanks Paul   :P
All of those delays mean that the Talladega reunion (and the Monster Mopar Weekend for sure) is probably out for the Daytona's debut.  Good Lord willing I still plan to go, even if I have to hitchhike to get there.  Sure wish you could have driven/taken the hillside hemi down for the show, as that would have been fun to see.

I've got a solution for you then.   :icon_smile_big:  Just buy the hillside hemi, i'll drive it to your place and fly home, and you can drive it to Talladega!  Its a win win situation.  You'll have an aero car to drive while your other one gets finished and then there is no rush with the Daytona...   :callme:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hemigeno

I've told more than a couple of people that my next project had better be an RV, since I have a feeling I would be sleeping in it for quite a while.

Nice try though... :lol:

41husk

Geno, the detail is simply fantastic, I can't wait to see the car up close!  Thanks for posting her progress.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

PocketThunder

Quote from: hemigeno on September 03, 2009, 11:56:40 AM
I've told more than a couple of people that my next project had better be an RV, since I have a feeling I would be sleeping in it for quite a while.

Nice try though... :lol:

The C500 has a trailer hitch, i'll even throw in a pop up camper...   :icon_smile_big:

hemigeno

Can I park in your driveway and use the washing machine every now and again?  I might also need to patch into your cable TV.  :P 

PocketThunder

Quote from: hemigeno on September 03, 2009, 01:08:19 PM
Can I park in your driveway and use the washing machine every now and again?  I might also need to patch into your cable TV.  :P 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

mcode

Hi guys! Does Vance cummins have a website? Can you post his contact info? Thanks

hemigeno

No, no website for Vance.  Probably the best way to get in touch with him is through the shop phone.  Don't be surprised if you get the answering machine, as he's said before that he'd never get anything done in the shop if he answered the phone every time it rang.  Guess it depends on what he's in the middle of at the time.

His shop phone number is:

(616)-842-4807

mcode

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.