News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Quote from: WINGMAN on March 03, 2009, 10:17:29 PM
  11 inch brake hardware from ma mopar PT#4636773, my Daytonas rear drums have never been off they still have the locking washers on two studs from the factory. Some day i better do the brakes as the are 40 years old and never touched.      Jay.

Hey Jay...
Troy here... Which locking washers on which studs are you referring to? I'm collecting missing parts now for my 11"'s............

T
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

WINGMAN

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 13, 2009, 07:16:33 AM
  11 inch brake hardware from ma mopar PT#4636773, my Daytonas rear drums have never been off they still have the locking washers on two studs from the factory. Some day i better do the brakes as the are 40 years old and never touched.      Jay.

Hey Jay...
Troy here... Which locking washers on which studs are you referring to? I'm collecting missing parts now for my 11"'s............
T
Hey all.  I will try to pull out my Daytona this weekend and pull off a rear drum, i made a mistake calling those RETAINING washers locking washers :brickwall: I will be taking pics as i go. I need to look at the brakes anyway as there are only 40 years old and im driving it as if it were a new car. :icon_smile_big:  Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

nascarxx29

I think my daytona had them .They were a thin metal washers .Pushed on over the stud .So brake drum wouldnt fall off during assembly
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

maxwellwedge

694spdRT

Hey Geno!

Just checking in on your Daytona progress. Fatherhood and a house purchase have taken a bite out of my Charger time but I am slowly getting back into the swing of things.

Can't wait to see the finished product.  :2thumbs:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

hemi68charger

Quote from: 694spdRT on March 13, 2009, 11:34:02 PM
Hey Geno!

... Fatherhood and a house purchase have taken a bite out of my Charger time but I am slowly getting back into the swing of things.

Join the crowd !!!  :lol:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemi68charger

Geno..
Here is my rear manual 11's........  With the help of Julie..  Excuse the axle..  :icon_smile_big:
Troy

maxwellwedge

Good to see the kid is using the right tool! Good work Julie!  :2thumbs:

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 15, 2009, 08:11:15 PM
Good to see the kid is using the right tool! Good work Julie!  :2thumbs:

Daddy learned the hard way, Julie will learn the easy........  experience...........
Troy

gtx6970

Quote from: nascarxx29 on March 13, 2009, 06:48:18 PM
I think my daytona had them .They were a thin metal washers .Pushed on over the stud .So brake drum wouldnt fall off during assembly

These ?

Gene,
Not to sound redundant, but if your gonna put the clip on it, why worry about nos brake shoes.

ps- I might know of a set of 11" shoes nos. I'll ck in the morning

pettybird

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 15, 2009, 07:57:45 PM
Geno..
Here is my rear manual 11's........  With the help of Julie..  Excuse the axle..  :icon_smile_big:

Troy where are your self adjust levers and cables? 

you built the rears using the fronts as a guide?

hemi68charger

Quote from: pettybird on March 15, 2009, 10:40:15 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on March 15, 2009, 07:57:45 PM
Geno..

Troy where are your self adjust levers and cables? 

you built the rears using the fronts as a guide?

On the B-body HD and police 11", there were no self-adjusters. Self-adjusters came on the 10"s and the 11"'s on C-bodies. The service manual and parts book both verify this. The '68 service manual doesn't have a 11" HD / police figure, but the '69 service manual does, no self-adjusters. I was thinking of putting them on, but since I've never had a problem with Dana's 4-wheel drum, I decided to go back OEM to this car..

Troy

PS: I"ll add this to my Charger thread, no sense in hijacking Geno's thread.... :)
Troy

pettybird

That's weird--the 11" brakes on the '67 Hemi GTX I'm doing here had them--

that's what's shown in the '67 manual, too. 

<---has nothing but disc brake cars at home...

hemigeno

Quote from: madchad on March 12, 2009, 11:29:50 PM
Hope all is going well with the resto.  I had someone from another site point me here to get some info on Vance and then another member said he heard that he closed his shop.  What is the real deal?  Thanks

Chad :scratchchin:

Chad,

No shop closing that I know of - talked with Vance on Friday, and work is progressing on the car quite nicely. 

The car is now in primer/sealer completely, masked off, wet sanded, re-shot with primer/sealer which has been curing for several days and is going to get the base color THIS WEEK!!  WooHoo!   :boogie: :rock:

I'm making a trip up to visit the car on Friday again, so I should have another round of pictures after that.

hemigeno

Quote from: WINGMAN on March 13, 2009, 06:38:15 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on March 13, 2009, 07:16:33 AM

Hey Jay...
T
Hey all.  I will try to pull out my Daytona this weekend and pull off a rear drum, i made a mistake calling those RETAINING washers locking washers :brickwall: I will be taking pics as i go. I need to look at the brakes anyway as there are only 40 years old and im driving it as if it were a new car. :icon_smile_big:  Jay.

Attached are the pictures Jay was kind enough to take of his Daytona's 11" brake drums which still have their retaining washers in place.

THANKS AGAIN, JAY!!!!   :cheers:

hemigeno

These are some shots Jay sent of the brake hardware itself - can't get any better than this for original details...   Thanks again, Jay   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

moparstuart

will they keep the drums on when the wheel flys off at taladege ?  just kidding  

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemigeno

Quote from: 694spdRT on March 13, 2009, 11:34:02 PM
Hey Geno!

Just checking in on your Daytona progress. Fatherhood and a house purchase have taken a bite out of my Charger time but I am slowly getting back into the swing of things.

Can't wait to see the finished product.  :2thumbs:

Thanks Ty, are you going to be hitting any of the shows down this direction anytime soon?  I know (all too well) how travelling with a little one can put a damper on things like that.

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 14, 2009, 08:55:11 AM
Join the crowd !!!  :lol:

:angel:  :-X   :baby:

BTW, good progress on your car's hardware, and Julie's gettin' with the program real well it looks! 

Quote from: gtx6970 on March 15, 2009, 09:09:12 PM
Gene,
Not to sound redundant, but if your gonna put the clip on it, why worry about nos brake shoes.

Bill,

IIRC the clips do come off, although it takes a bit of work.  My guess is that the concours-level judges will want to see the clip on the stud, but also want to take it off in order to check out the hardware.  I'll probably have to keep some extras around in case a clip gets too bent to reuse.

Quote from: gtx6970 on March 15, 2009, 09:09:12 PM
ps- I might know of a set of 11" shoes nos. I'll ck in the morning

:notworthy:        :callme:

hemigeno

Quote from: moparstuart on March 16, 2009, 03:56:25 PM
will they keep the drums on when the wheel flys off at taladege ?  just kidding  

I'm sure everyone hopes there's no repeat of THAT...   :o

Oh wait, my Daytona's a 440 car and everyone knows that wheels only fly off of and then hit HemiDaytonas - nothing for me to worry about :lol:

hemi68charger

Great pics......... Glad I had someone else to verify what I was doing was proper... I guess it doesn't matter, but the adjuster teeth on a service manual is opposite the parking brake lever. For what it's worth, I guess it doesn't matter?  Here's out of the '69 Service Manual...  Thanks Jay....... Those retainers look almost identical to the ones used on my '98 SS/T.... Guess I'll add that touch to "hemi"...  I'll also paint the upper return springs red......
Troy

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on March 16, 2009, 04:08:22 PM

Bill,

IIRC the clips do come off, although it takes a bit of work.  My guess is that the concours-level judges will want to see the clip on the stud, but also want to take it off in order to check out the hardware.  I'll probably have to keep some extras around in case a clip gets too bent to reuse.

The Nats judges have not removed wheels in a few years (not when I went through with my car) now but I (and I know you too) feel better just knowing the stuff is there. The original drum retainers are round.

pettybird

so ALL B body 11" drum brakes are "heavy duty," and the non-heavy-duty (adjuster equipped) are ONLY on C bodies? 

how do you identify real Mopar adjusters?  the ones in the '67 X were definitely not new.  that doesn't mean they weren't added in the 70's, or '67 isn't different, or...

Like I said I have discs and 10.5"'s here.

hemi68charger

Quote from: pettybird on March 16, 2009, 08:50:28 PM
so ALL B body 11" drum brakes are "heavy duty," and the non-heavy-duty (adjuster equipped) are ONLY on C bodies? 

how do you identify real Mopar adjusters?  the ones in the '67 X were definitely not new.  that doesn't mean they weren't added in the 70's, or '67 isn't different, or...

This is what I know:
Most of your high performance vehicles which had 4-wheel drums typical had the 11" version, hence no self-adjustment. The non-high performance vehicles that had the smaller 10" versions did have the self-adjusters. Also, vehicles with disc brakes usually had the 10" rear drums, once again, with self-adjusters. Now, the cars with 11" that DID come with the self-adjusters where the C-bodies......

Clear as mud?

Troy
Troy

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 16, 2009, 09:49:01 PM

This is what I know:
Most of your high performance vehicles which had 4-wheel drums typical had the 11" version, hence no self-adjustment. The non-high performance vehicles that had the smaller 10" versions did have the self-adjusters. Also, vehicles with disc brakes usually had the 10" rear drums, once again, with self-adjusters. Now, the cars with 11" that DID come with the self-adjusters where the C-bodies......

Clear as mud?

Troy

All disc brake performance cars 69-71 had 10" drums except the T/A and AAR got 11" rears.

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 16, 2009, 09:51:14 PM
All disc brake performance cars 69-71 had 10" drums except the T/A and AAR got 11" rears.

Wow, I love this place... Learn something new ALL the time...  Speaking of which.....

Here's a pic of a comparison. Brand new adjusters from NAPA (top) versus my original (bottom). I had 3, so I'm going with the new ones until I get the other one... The new one's pretty good actually.... There is a difference between the self and non adjusting adjusters. Visually, the self-adjusting adjusters have more "teeth" on their locking star...
Troy