News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 14, 2012, 04:27:23 PM
OMG....thats all I have to say....

;)

Ok, Chris.  Is the OMG a good or a bad thing?    :smilielol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

held1823

if it's a similar OMG to what mine was, it's a dumbfounded reaction to the dismantling of a perfect car, to make it even "perfecter".

i had barely recovered from a standing eight count over the $500 oil filter, before gene threw this haymaker...

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hemigeno

Quote from: held1823 on March 14, 2012, 08:03:12 PM
i had barely recovered from a standing eight count over the $500 oil filter

Thankfully, I was lucky enough to follow some sage and wise advice from Roger Gibson - who suggested I buy any parts I could find for this car, anytime I found them.  That process started almost 10 years ago, even before picking the car up from Davtona (hoping he wouldn't get cold feet).  I bought a couple of the olive drab filters before the big hullabaloo about filters started on Moparts many years ago.  I picked up one on eBay for $50 even after most people knew what they were, because it was advertised by the seller as a Chrysler/Desoto filter due to the low 18xxxxx part number.  In other words, I don't have a shelf full of $500 filters.   :woohoo:

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 14, 2012, 04:27:23 PM
OMG....thats all I have to say....

You've been shaking your head at me since the first time we met at Carlisle - what else is new?   :P

resq302

Gene,

I think Chris was trying to say that people usually mellow out with age, not get more anal retentive.  Oh wait, crap!  I fit into that latter category also.   :smilielol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

if it's a similar OMG to what mine was, it's a dumbfounded reaction to the dismantling of a perfect car, to make it even "perfecter".

i had barely recovered from a standing eight count over the $500 oil filter, before gene threw this haymaker...

That's pretty much it in a NUTshell....no pun intended!

Quote from: hemigeno on March 15, 2012, 09:03:47 AM

You've been shaking your head at me since the first time we met at Carlisle - what else is new?   :P

You got that right headlight boy!!  :rotz: :rotz:

:cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

moparstuart

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 15, 2012, 04:14:40 PM

That's pretty much it in a NUTshell....no pun intended!

Quote from: hemigeno on March 15, 2012, 09:03:47 AM

You got that right headlight boy!!  :rotz: :rotz:

:cheers:
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemigeno

hemigeno

A couple of weekends ago I stopped by Vance's place for another visit and to make a couple deliveries (of sorts).  Progress is definitely happening, but there is not a stark contrast when looking at it from a distance.  It's all in the up-close details, and I especially love getting the "walk throughs" from Vance describing all the intricacies of what he's up to on the car.  Many of the things he's working on are still in progress though, and he asked that I keep from posting stuff that's still in the "experimental" phase so that folks don't get the wrong idea of how something's supposed to be done or what it's supposed to look like until he's done.

Anyway, one of the things we spent a fair amount of time looking at was a part I picked up a couple weeks ago.  For many years now, I had been looking for an NOS pie tin for the air cleaner, with no luck.  I had not even been able to find the part number in any of the many stacks of reference materials floating around the office.  When it first arrived and I took it out of the package, I was not sure anyone could tell the difference between this and a reproduction since the repro's really are very, very nice.  In fact, I wondered if it were possible for the seller to have sold me the packaging material with a reproduction pie tin.  On further review, Vance and I were able to notice several differences between this (orange) OEM tin and the (red) repro piece we had previously installed on the engine.

Basically, the texture of the OEM vinyl material is slightly different, there is a slight grain pattern in the aluminum to which the overlay is applied, and the bare aluminum itself has a slightly gold tint to it (whereas the repro's have a silver tint).

I asked Vance if he'd seen a new one of these before, and he said he's seen only one other which didn't have an envelope.  It's definitely the first one I've seen, but some of you guys who have been parts scrounging for decades may use new ones as coasters for your drinks for all I know.

hemigeno

Another area he's made improvements is with the transmission crossmember.  On my last visit, he mentioned he was trying to source a replacement for my original - which was rather pitted from exposure to the elements.  In these photos, you can see the witness marks on the nice piece (the part farther away of the two), the smoothed/filled exterior of the original, as well as the evidence of pitting which was still visible on the inside of the crossmember.  We can check this one off the list of things yet to do...

hemigeno

The first two and last photos are of the brake master cylinder backing plate, which again was replaced due to pitting - this time, the issue was trying to maintain all the markings on the stud heads rather than witness marks from the stamping process.  Vance replicated the runs which are often seen from when the part was dipped in paint.

The last middle photo shows a nice set of original sound insulation which was glued to the underside of the cowl airbox.  This really can't be seen unless you lay flat on your back in the floorboard of the car, and stick your head up under the dash... but it can be seen.  Earlier, we had installed a reproduction set of insulation, and by the time we came across nice original stuff the dash, etc. had been assembled.  Now that everything is back apart, the right stuff will be installed.

*edit* the order of the photos was re-arranged when I replaced a blurry shot with a slightly clearer photo, and I didn't want to remove the insulation photo and try to repost, for fear that I would get the dreaded "File Name Already Exists" error message.

hemigeno

Vance dug out some original jack hold down bolts he has removed - one from my car, and one from Chris Sauer's car... I'll give you three guesses as to which one came from my 44,000 mile car (which was stored outside for a while) and which came from Chris' 16,000 mile survivor.  The thing to note is that neither bolt had any head markings on them, and they are exactly the same configuration.  Creative Industries most certainly used hardware/bolts that came from generic sources at times.  Not always, but at least in some places.  It's actually hard these days to find bolts of this length that have threads tapped all the way to the bolt head.  Most times, the threads stop after an inch or so.

resq302

never realized the pie tins had a black edge to them.  Both my original and the repro didn't have them.
Brian

hemigeno

I will post these two progress shots, where Vance has masked off the engine compartment in a strange way.  Why, you ask?  Well, because when Hamtramck's line worker was painting the engine compartment, these holes were not blocked off by anything.  The inside surfaces of the firewall would get overspray in particular areas based on how the gun was held, etc.  Vance has been studying up on this topic with multiple original/unrestored cars to make sure his logic is sound before replicating the same treatment on my now-bare inner firewall.

Hopefully I'll be back up to Vance's before everything is reinstalled to take pictures of the overspray while it's easier to see/photograph.  This is another one of those details that isn't visible without playing the role of contortionist (and some is hidden by insulation & other components), but we're taking the time to replicate it nonetheless.

The last picture for this update is a shot I took of the rear view mirror.  This was to remind myself to dig out the other mirror I have on the shelf back at the shop and get it out to Vance.  Tony (69hemidaytona) and I have discussed this particular feature of mirrors now for several years, and the last time we spoke I couldn't remember which mirror style was installed on my car.  Late 1969 model cars used a mirror base that had a flat/beveled section at the very top of the base's mast, rather than the more rounded style you see here.  The beveled style was made in Canada - just a different supplier, but their shape was slightly different than the earlier supplier's.  If anyone's really curious, I can either dig up an old photo or snap a photo of a used Canadian mirror base that is somewhere around the shop.

hemigeno

Quote from: resq302 on April 17, 2012, 04:42:15 PM
never realized the pie tins had a black edge to them.  Both my original and the repro didn't have them.

I have the original pie tin from nascarxx29's Daytona, and it has the black edge too.  It also has same goldish tint to the aluminum as well - which before Vance pointed it out, I had never noticed.

nascarxx29

The pie plate was original to the car and had the chrome wing nut  :Twocents:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Mopar John

Quote from: hemigeno on April 17, 2012, 04:17:47 PM
A couple of weekends ago I stopped by Vance's place for another visit and to make a couple deliveries (of sorts).  Progress is definitely happening, but there is not a stark contrast when looking at it from a distance.  It's all in the up-close details, and I especially love getting the "walk throughs" from Vance describing all the intricacies of what he's up to on the car.  Many of the things he's working on are still in progress though, and he asked that I keep from posting stuff that's still in the "experimental" phase so that folks don't get the wrong idea of how something's supposed to be done or what it's supposed to look like until he's done.

Anyway, one of the things we spent a fair amount of time looking at was a part I picked up a couple weeks ago.  For many years now, I had been looking for an NOS pie tin for the air cleaner, with no luck.  I had not even been able to find the part number in any of the many stacks of reference materials floating around the office.  When it first arrived and I took it out of the package, I was not sure anyone could tell the difference between this and a reproduction since the repro's really are very, very nice.  In fact, I wondered if it were possible for the seller to have sold me the packaging material with a reproduction pie tin.  On further review, Vance and I were able to notice several differences between this (orange) OEM tin and the (red) repro piece we had previously installed on the engine.

Basically, the texture of the OEM vinyl material is slightly different, there is a slight grain pattern in the aluminum to which the overlay is applied, and the bare aluminum itself has a slightly gold tint to it (whereas the repro's have a silver tint).

I asked Vance if he'd seen a new one of these before, and he said he's seen only one other which didn't have an envelope.  It's definitely the first one I've seen, but some of you guys who have been parts scrounging for decades may use new ones as coasters for your drinks for all I know.

Gene,
Congrats on the NOS pietin! I am glad that I didn't have one on our Daytona right after the restoration! The reason being is the REM reproduction hood pad insulation is a little thicker than the original and rubbed the pietin! It looks like somone took steel wool to it !@#$%^&*()! Now I have 2 pietins, one that I keep on the car and another in the trunk that I swap out at judged shows. Again congrats on the rare part score!
MJ

nascarxx29

:Twocents: The #2843767 name plate doesnt appear in 69 parts catalog just in the 70-71 parts book for W D B J line.Found it in 68 book not much description other W Coronet D Dodge 440 magnum .And no color listed
14-029-008 NAMEPLATE, A/Cleaner
440 Engine, 440 Magnum

1970 1 2843 767  
1971 2843 767  

nascarxx29

If anyone needs one saw this
| Richard McDonald Vintage Car Partswww.richardmcdonald.org/plate-mopar/Cached

1951 1952 NOS PLYMOUTH RADIO DELETE PLATE Paypal .... Mopar Chrysler Dodge Engine Air Cleaner ID Plate 440 Magnum NOS 2843767 69 71. Paypal ... NOS Mopar 19591960 Plymouth Suburban Emblem Name Plate Paypal ...

Mopar Performance part# P4529072 for the red name plate

hemi68charger

Wow !!!  Good stuff Geno !!  I personally would like to see the comparison between the two door outside rearview mirrors..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 25, 1974, 06:06:26 PM
Wow !!!  Good stuff Geno !!  I personally would like to see the comparison between the two door outside rearview mirrors..

A day late and a dollar short...  :brickwall:  

I sent off the Made in Canada mirror to Vance just yesterday, otherwise I'd take a better photo.  The best ones I could find after a quick search (that shows the detail) are these two photos I just cropped and added a text box:

hemigeno

Quote from: Mopar John on April 17, 2012, 07:38:38 PM
I am glad that I didn't have one on our Daytona right after the restoration! The reason being is the REM reproduction hood pad insulation is a little thicker than the original and rubbed the pietin! It looks like somone took steel wool to it !@#$%^&*()! Now I have 2 pietins, one that I keep on the car and another in the trunk that I swap out at judged shows.

Yeah, I'd be doing the same thing.  I have the same problem with the REM hood pad rubbing on the front edge and top of the Hemi R/T's air cleaner, but I don't tote around the spare chromedome lid... probably should.  It's an undercoat car like your B5 'Tona, so it's supposed to have the pad - otherwise, that sucker would be coming off.

Thankfully, this Daytona is a low-option model and has no hood pad -- hopefully no rubbing.  If it does, I have bigger problems  :o

nascarxx29

I got a mirror core with the pentstar on it.Similar to the one last shown.Supposed to be useable on either side of the car just needs better chrome.The other mirror I dug up 69-70 pass side similar to a dr side remote.Need a original core to restore

mauve66

you really have some patience to go through all this for your car, my hats off to ya
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment