News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

Quote from: mauve66 on April 19, 2012, 06:49:28 PM
you really have some patience to go through all this for your car, my hats off to ya

Quote from: hemigeno on June 30, 2010, 08:33:34 AM
Thanks for the comments, although I think "bull-headed stubbornness" probably applies to me more than nice terms like resilience. patience.

(had to modify my previous comment, but it still applies...   :icon_smile_blackeye:  )

:cheers:

hemi68charger

Quote from: mauve66 on April 19, 2012, 06:49:28 PM
you really have some patience to go through all this for your car, my hats off to ya

I think it's more like the poor car has patience for its owner... The car wants to tear up the streets !!!!!   :nana:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: hemigeno on April 17, 2012, 04:47:14 PM
I will post these two progress shots, where Vance has masked off the engine compartment in a strange way.  Why, you ask?  Well, because when Hamtramck's line worker was painting the engine compartment, these holes were not blocked off by anything.  The inside surfaces of the firewall would get overspray in particular areas based on how the gun was held, etc.  Vance has been studying up on this topic with multiple original/unrestored cars to make sure his logic is sound before replicating the same treatment on my now-bare inner firewall.

Hopefully I'll be back up to Vance's before everything is reinstalled to take pictures of the overspray while it's easier to see/photograph.  This is another one of those details that isn't visible without playing the role of contortionist (and some is hidden by insulation & other components), but we're taking the time to replicate it nonetheless.

The last picture for this update is a shot I took of the rear view mirror.  This was to remind myself to dig out the other mirror I have on the shelf back at the shop and get it out to Vance.  Tony (69hemidaytona) and I have discussed this particular feature of mirrors now for several years, and the last time we spoke I couldn't remember which mirror style was installed on my car.  Late 1969 model cars used a mirror base that had a flat/beveled section at the very top of the base's mast, rather than the more rounded style you see here.  The beveled style was made in Canada - just a different supplier, but their shape was slightly different than the earlier supplier's.  If anyone's really curious, I can either dig up an old photo or snap a photo of a used Canadian mirror base that is somewhere around the shop.
Gene,
Tony and I discussed outside non remote rear view mirrors also! Here is a picture of my early June build R4 Daytona and another off my early August 69 build 70 GTX. I don't know if this helps or not?
MJ

hemigeno

John,

Yes -- if nothing else, those photos help to show that not all the mirrors in that timeframe were the "beveled" style.  Apparently either is correct, so that's a good thing.  I may leave the NOS rounded style on the car then.  We'll see.

Thanks for taking & posting the pics!

Mopar John

Gene,
If you decide to take the NOS round style mirror off the Daytona I can probably find a good home for it! :scratchchin:
MJ

hemigeno

Well, I'm leaving in a few minutes for Michigan to pick the car up from Vance's shop.  Ready or not, it's finished!  The Mopar 'Nats is this weekend, and I plan to be at Columbus tomorrow evening.  So, the final countdown has begun.

There have been a TON of changes/improvements to the car, many (but not all) of which I do have documented with photos.  I have been way too busy at work & home to update the thread, although the way things look I may have more free time on my hands in the coming weeks than I'd prefer.  Either way, I hope to update this thread with the in-progress work.  Ultimately, I'd like to do a nose-to-bumper walk-through of the various components on the car.  Whether that happens on this thread or a new one it doesn't matter, but I think it would be of interest and use to a few folks.

More later...

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on August 07, 2012, 10:21:11 AM
Well, I'm leaving in a few minutes for Michigan to pick the car up from Vance's shop.  Ready or not, it's finished!  The Mopar 'Nats is this weekend, and I plan to be at Columbus tomorrow evening.  So, the final countdown has begun.

There have been a TON of changes/improvements to the car, many (but not all) of which I do have documented with photos.  I have been way too busy at work & home to update the thread, although the way things look I may have more free time on my hands in the coming weeks than I'd prefer.  Either way, I hope to update this thread with the in-progress work.  Ultimately, I'd like to do a nose-to-bumper walk-through of the various components on the car.  Whether that happens on this thread or a new one it doesn't matter, but I think it would be of interest and use to a few folks.

More later...

Awesome !!!!  I can imagine you'll be a big hit !!!!
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemigeno

It's been a lot of work getting to this point, but there will be plenty of nice cars that some guys have worked their butts off also to make just as nice.  I'm mostly relieved it's (almost) done.

Thanks anyway though!

resq302

Heard you have some stiff competition out there Geno!  I understand that there will be two other daytonas out there with you.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Davtona

Quote from: hemigeno on August 07, 2012, 10:21:11 AM
Well, I'm leaving in a few minutes for Michigan to pick the car up from Vance's shop.  Ready or not, it's finished!  The Mopar 'Nats is this weekend

Best of luck at the Nationals Geno, She's a beauty she'll do fine.

WINGIN IT

nascarxx29

Johns Y2 and Tony EW1 daytona should be there
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

resq302

John's Y2 is scheduled to be judged on Thursday I think.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Aero426

It sounds like it will be a Daytona cage match. 

pettybird

if ECS dave is officiating you've got better odds.

ECS

Quote from: pettybird on August 08, 2012, 05:08:46 PM

No....no.....no......you got it all wrong.  I prefer to let the experts (like yourself) that have probably been through the process many times, do the officiating.  While were are at it, how about you post some of the detailed features you have done on your Restorations and I will post the same features (on my vehicles) for comparisons?  It is one thing to talk about Mopar projects and another to let the work speak for itself.  I am sure I will be humiliated but what the heck........I'm game if you are.  Post those pictures and let the results speak for themselves. :yesnod:

Be careful in your travels Gene.  Keep me posted and have a GREAT time!    
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

Mopar John

I hope they have a lift back at the OE tent this year! It would be a crime to not clearly see all the details put into these fine Daytonas!
Can't wait to see them complete on Friday as we have had the privilage to see two of them in progress!
MJ

hemigeno

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone.  So far so good, but who knows what the next few days will hold.  I was aware that John's car (and Tony's) were also slated to be at the show, and it will be quite cool to have three Daytonas going through the judging together.  I saw John's car a few weeks ago before Paul had it all done, and it was quite nice even then... :2thumbs:  My first look at Tony's car won't be until Friday, since I didn't go to Carlisle this year and so I missed it's debut.

I don't care who judges my car, as long as it is accurate and impartial.  Nothing chafes more than being knocked
for things which are actually correct.  Dave W. knows a thing or two about that phenomenon for sure.  I'm hoping for the best, but I'm armed to the teeth with documents, parts and a hard drive full of photos anyway. 

paul jacobs

What a long week (or six months) it has been! Just pulled into the motel and finally here in Columbus.

I just want to say that this thread has been one of my favorite, not to mention one of the most informative threads out there. Gene has really been detailed and I for one, have learned some valuable information regarding Daytonas from it. 

I have also had the opportunity to hang out with Gene on several occasions and enjoyed his friendship. Even as a "competitor", he opened his stash of NOS parts and said "Take what ya need for your car". I couldn't resist! Now how many people would do such a thing???

I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but would also like to thank Mike Mancini for some excellent gauge work, Rob Brombacker for some one off stuff, and Dave Walden for scrounging up NOS tires, mufflers & some other rare stuff.

Can't wait to spend the weekend admiring the three Daytonas under the tent going for the gold - first time ever for such an occasion. Best of luck to all, should be a fun weekend!! :2thumbs:

pettybird

Quote from: ECS on August 08, 2012, 05:31:15 PM

No....no.....no......you got it all wrong.  I prefer to let the experts (like yourself) that have probably been through the process many times, do the officiating.  While were are at it, how about you post some of the detailed features you have done on your Restorations and I will post the same features (on my vehicles) for comparisons?  It is one thing to talk about Mopar projects and another to let the work speak for itself.  I am sure I will be humiliated but what the heck........I'm game if you are.  Post those pictures and let the results speak for themselves. :yesnod:

Be careful in your travels Gene.  Keep me posted and have a GREAT time!    

LOL just checking to see if you're still lurking ;)

We'll be there Saturday in our unrestored petty bird.  We park by the swap meet on the other side of the paved driveway...there should be a couple wings there.  I promise to make it to the show side instead of spending all day looking for parts!

ECS

Quote from: paul jacobs on August 09, 2012, 12:54:54 AM
.........and Dave Walden for scrounging up NOS tires, mufflers & some other rare stuff......

Thanks Paul!  I'm sure that you probably did not use many of the things I provided.  It was fun however to waste all that time, money and energy!  Also remember that you can always use those tires to trade up for better ones.  That seems to be the way the luck rolls!  When I supply them, "BETTER ONES" miraculously become abundant, accessible and readily available. :icon_smile_wink: :lol:

The Daytona looks Fantastic Paul!  Have fun at the Show and be safe in your travels. :2thumbs:     
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

paul jacobs

now, now dave I used ALL the good stuff you provided-let's keep things positive :icon_smile_big:- thanks for all your help!!!

no seriously, today Johns car was judged & I had the opportunity to see the other Daytonas & it was a lot of fun. I could not have done it without the help of many people.

I got a sneak preview of Gene's car and it is just awesome and unique as you all will soon see!

69_500

Gene the plan as of now is to make it there on Sunday. Was going to be there all weekend but wouldn't you know football for Dakota starts Saturday.

hemi68charger

Man,, in the spirit of the Olympics, this sounds like it going to be the Daytona-DreamTeam........   :2thumbs:
Troy