News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

Hopefully those kind of documentation pictures of Jims and whom evers reference car .Will be in a magazine or on here to reference and learn more details from
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 27, 2009, 06:10:02 PM

Well - the popular opinion is what you said. I just threw that out there as a guess to explain this paint on the 440 wires and to get the troops thinking! Maybe someone at the plant did this on random engines just so he can laugh at us being freaked and puzzled 40 years later.  :lol:

There's no doubt that some of those assembly line workers have probably chuckled a lot over very simple things that we've tried to explain away.  This may be one of them.

The intriguing thing to me is that both engines had paint in the same place on the wires, and both were assembled about the same time.  The engine from Dave's former car had an assembly date of 6/11, and Doc's was 6/6, right?  It makes some sense that less-than-totally-cured paint from the rubber wire holder didn't grip as well on the loom and instead rubbed off on the spark plug wires when the wires were installed.  I don't know how long it was between when the engine was painted/assembled and when the wires were installed, but it was almost certainly more than a few hours - unless we've all made the wrong assumption about when/where the engines were painted and dressed out.  Maybe the paint they used didn't cure very well until it got hot?  

:shruggy:

hemigeno

Quote from: nascarxx29 on February 27, 2009, 06:17:56 PM
Hopefully those kind of documentation pictures of Jims and whom evers reference car .Will be in a magazine or on here to reference and learn more details from

It'd take a book to cover everything.  Ain't no magazine editor alive that's going to devote the kind of pages it would take to cover all the little nuances of a true survivor car - and Jim has several great examples.

maxwellwedge

The original paint I heard was not acrylic enamel but straight enamel. I bet it took a few heat cycles to bake on hard.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on February 27, 2009, 05:02:35 PM
So Gene when is the next trip up to see the car? I wanna get some pictures of it once before its all done. Its been a year since I made a trip up there with ya.

Danny, I hope to be going back one of the first three weekends in March, but it remains to be seen which one it will be.  Have to check with the family's Social Director first   :angel:

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 27, 2009, 06:24:27 PM
The original paint I heard was not acrylic enamel but straight enamel. I bet it took a few heat cycles to bake on hard.

That makes perfect sense, and is probably the explanation to the whole mystery.  You'd think that anywhere a spark plug wire made direct contact with a rubber-tipped loom it would have that same look.  Oh, and I remembered that I was supposed to take pictures of all the 440 spark plug holders when I was up at your place.  Yet one more thing I forgot to do...   :brickwall:

nascarxx29

Quote from: hemigeno on February 27, 2009, 06:23:28 PM
Quote from: nascarxx29 on February 27, 2009, 06:17:56 PM

It'd take a book to cover everything.  Ain't no magazine editor alive that's going to devote the kind of pages it would take to cover all the little nuances of a true survivor car - and Jim has several great examples.

It was mentioned early on about Jims daytona and a magazine article commitmants took priority.Didnt know how much reference type material would be available in whatever issue.Its due to come out in .And as said no magazine is going to devote alot of pages of reference details.So thought there would be sharing of the knowledge and pictures to reference on here to view.Or perhaps maybe available in this format as seen as Roger Gibson site were he sells a indepth detail reference documentation tape of car of interest

maxwellwedge

Worry not Dave, whatever they don't publish will be exclusive to DodgeCharger -dot-com!!! :yesnod:  ;D

nascarxx29

UFO

Put out a How to book and make some money.
All this time your giving away this info when you could be raking in the dough LOL

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on February 27, 2009, 06:11:31 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 27, 2009, 05:18:20 PM
Here is a pic from my 13000 mile Hemi-X. Doc and Disco are the same. Notice spring colors (short - black, long - pink) and shape of hold-down cups. Notice color on the sides of the original shoes. Backing plates are zinc-phosphate.

Left side added.

Jim,

Thanks for the pictures - that kind of reference information is absolutely invaluable.  Just today I got the quote from a NOS parts supplier for a boatload of stuff, which I think includes all new brake hardware.  At least now I know what to make sure he's supplying.

Thanks again!!

:cheers:

Hold the phone there Big Guy.....These are 10" brake photo's I'm posting.......Are yours 11"? If so, I'll take some pics of my 69-1/2's

hemigeno

maxwellwedge

Quote from: UFO on February 27, 2009, 08:20:14 PM
Put out a How to book and make some money.
All this time your giving away this info when you could be raking in the dough LOL

Rake in the ...DOH!

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on February 27, 2009, 08:52:49 PM
Yep, both of my cars are 11" manual brake jobs.

Hey Geno... Are you refreshing all the original hardware and adjusters for yours or getting new ones? If the later, where are you getting them? I'm ready for this step on the '68.......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nascarxx29

Those unique details as to my daytona and Jims daytona having engine paint on the plug wires .And those type of discoverys are more interesting than the common resto decals gloss flat finishes and platings etc .Though as important.It has been done and researched .But finding and comparing these oddities.I find fascinating to save on the computer compared to the regular common knowledge resto details that would fill a library.I probably had the only daytona that had no rear seat buttons on one side. But had its right buildsheet.And I like finding factory blooper line shortage lazy worker details.As this is the forum.And here is where we do it as in.
A place for fans of the Dodge Charger to learn, share, and hang out  A place for fans of the Dodge Charger to learn, share, and hang out.
www.dodgecharger.com/ - 2k - Cached - Similar pages

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 27, 2009, 09:39:33 PM
Hey Geno... Are you refreshing all the original hardware and adjusters for yours or getting new ones? If the later, where are you getting them? I'm ready for this step on the '68.......

Troy

Troy, 

Vance has a stash of new hardware that he pulled most of the little pieces from.  The brake shoes, as mentioned earlier, are generics from a Parts Store that I hope can be replaced with some correct pieces, but at least aftermarket shoes are available.  There are a couple of places that sell brake adjusting hardware sets on eGag, but I can't say how correct they are to be honest. 

On my car, I'm sure a few other pieces need to be changed out to be "concours correct" too, and I'll wait to see any pictures Jim comes up with for 11" brakes to make sure everything's up to snuff.  The wheel cylinders are the original housings after being cleaned up.  Vance had some new cylinders that didn't have the correct look on the housings, but the innards could be changed out - so that's what he did.  New guts in the original housings.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on March 02, 2009, 09:30:50 AM

Troy

Troy, 

Vance has a stash of new hardware that he pulled most of the little pieces from.  The brake shoes, as mentioned earlier, are generics from a Parts Store that I hope can be replaced with some correct pieces, but at least aftermarket shoes are available.  There are a couple of places that sell brake adjusting hardware sets on eGag, but I can't say how correct they are to be honest. 

On my car, I'm sure a few other pieces need to be changed out to be "concours correct" too, and I'll wait to see any pictures Jim comes up with for 11" brakes to make sure everything's up to snuff.  The wheel cylinders are the original housings after being cleaned up.  Vance had some new cylinders that didn't have the correct look on the housings, but the innards could be changed out - so that's what he did.  New guts in the original housings.

I guess I better get to work on those 11" brake pics...Where is that jack?

pettybird

Quote from: hemigeno on February 27, 2009, 08:52:49 PM
Yep, both of my cars are 11" manual brake jobs.

Troy

for us non-concours guys it's all available at parts stores...  Auto Zone has it all. 

69_500

Gene just curious here, but what parts are you wanting pics of on the 11" brakes? The insides? spring colors and such? I'll see if I happen to have any of the 2 500's that I took pictures of during the tear down stages.

WINGMAN

11 inch brake hardware from ma mopar PT#4636773, my Daytonas rear drums have never been off they still have the locking washers on two studs from the factory. Some day i better do the brakes as the are 40 years old and never touched.      Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

pettybird

Quote from: WINGMAN on March 03, 2009, 10:17:29 PM
  11 inch brake hardware from ma mopar PT#4636773, my Daytonas rear drums have never been off they still have the locking washers on two studs from the factory. Some day i better do the brakes as the are 40 years old and never touched.      Jay.

yeah...rear shoes and the three brake hoses are on the list of changes for the Petty bird this spring...all are original, as well.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on March 03, 2009, 09:03:07 PM
Gene just curious here, but what parts are you wanting pics of on the 11" brakes? The insides? spring colors and such? I'll see if I happen to have any of the 2 500's that I took pictures of during the tear down stages.

Danny, any pictures of an 11" original brake setup would be of help.

I remember the locking washer detail, but haven't asked if Vance has any of those in decent shape to put on.  Knowing him, he has a little stash of them somewhere - that sort of thing seems to be his specialty.

madchad

Hope all is going well with the resto.  I had someone from another site point me here to get some info on Vance and then another member said he heard that he closed his shop.  What is the real deal?  Thanks

Chad :scratchchin:

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on March 04, 2009, 10:56:17 AM
Quote from: 69_500 on March 03, 2009, 09:03:07 PM

Danny, any pictures of an 11" original brake setup would be of help.

I remember the locking washer detail, but haven't asked if Vance has any of those in decent shape to put on.  Knowing him, he has a little stash of them somewhere - that sort of thing seems to be his specialty.

Geno,,
I'm going through my 11's on my '68 Hemi right now.. Here's one pic of the front 11x3's..  I'll see if I can come up with the rears.. Basically the same except you have the addition strut, anti-rattle spring & parking brake lever.
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection