News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davtona

Quote from: hemigeno on November 12, 2009, 06:15:52 PM

Brian,

I occasionally pick up lost and weary travellers from Iowa in Joliet or LaSalle.  :lol:   

Yes Brian I can confirm Gene does that. He has several nice services he offers actually. Hemi Car taxi service, Hemi Car loaner service and 2 day trips to beautiful southern Michigan.  :smilielol: You'll be amazed at the place and Vance's work. I never leave without learning many things I did not know.  :2thumbs:

maxwellwedge

Sounds like all is good Geno - Now - where to find some seals for my '70 Charger....... :scratchchin:

gtx6970

Quote from: hemigeno on November 12, 2009, 07:37:57 PM
Quote from: gtx6970 on November 12, 2009, 07:34:39 PM
again my apologies , I should have known better than question you

HA!!  No need to apologize Bill, I've learned more stuff from guys correcting my (many) mistakes...

Thanks for the pictures though - got any of a red one?  Vance said they were a clay/brick red rather than bright red like the current repops.  Interesting detail with the threads though!

:cheers:

Sorry Gene, But this one is the only one I have. I had thoughts of having a run made. I knew a guy locally who was willing to do small run plastic injection molded parts

nascarxx29

Ok Jim I didnt know if it was Delbert stringers parts or Great lakes you dont find everyday NOS daytona clips
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 12, 2009, 04:26:30 PM
Geno, I'm gonna have to check that thing out sometime. If you are ever looking for a co-pilot when go fro a visit to Vances and you want to swig through here let me know.

Sounds like some great progress.

Hey - Your Avy is my old car!

maxwellwedge

Quote from: nascarxx29 on November 12, 2009, 07:53:13 PM
Ok Jim I didnt know if it was Delbert stringers parts or Great lakes you dont find everyday NOS daytona clips

Dave - No you don't for sure - It was a lot of clams but he needed it - Car is coming together very nicely!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 12, 2009, 07:53:23 PM
Geno, I'm gonna have to check that thing out sometime. If you are ever looking for a co-pilot when go fro a visit to Vances and you want to swig through here let me know.

.....and your old car is FREAKIN AWESOME!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 12, 2009, 07:59:12 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 12, 2009, 07:53:23 PM

.....and your old car is FREAKIN AWESOME!!

Thanks for reminding me!  :icon_smile_blackeye:

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 12, 2009, 07:44:59 PM
Sounds like all is good Geno - Now - where to find some seals for my '70 Charger....... :scratchchin:

Jim, I still have a pair of them if you need.  Both are NOS, but only one (the driver's side) is the "correct" style with the molded tips holding the reinforcing channel in place.  The other/later style has the reinforcing channel held on with rivets.  Both were Chrysler-issued parts.  Last time I checked - which was at the Nats - Great Lakes was selling a mis-matched set like this.  With any luck, they have the "correct" style passenger's side.  Might be worth a phone call anyway.

Say the word and they're yours...  for a NOS part to be named later...    (j/k - I'll send 'em if you need 'em)

maxwellwedge

johntpr

Hey..I have dibs on Gene's left overs!

Bodywork beginning in next couple weeks on mine!

maxwellwedge

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 12, 2009, 09:22:11 PM
Were you guys making deals while everyone was in 'Dega?  :smilielol:

Hey, we had to do SOMETHING to entertain ourselves while you guys were having all that fun...  :brickwall:

Quote from: johntpr on November 12, 2009, 09:16:14 PM

Great to hear your car is headed in the right direction - looking forward to seeing some pics when you get the chance. 

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 12, 2009, 09:10:39 PM
I take back everything i have ever said about you!  :lol:  :cheers:

Seriously Jim, if you want those seals I'll send 'em.  We'll consider that a downpayment on the consulting fees I'll be racking up later.  Or, maybe I can get you to tell me the secret password to get through Canadian Border Patrol without a body cavity search  :o  Actually, I didn't remember seeing a '70 Charger in your shop - but maybe I missed it with all the :drool5: I was doing over your other awesome rides.

gtx6970

Good news John,
Is it still in Evansville ?  if you ever ride down to ck up on it, let me know I'll ride shotgun

hemi68charger

and it was a lot !!!!     :nana:

Just Kidding Geno !!!!!!!   :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on November 13, 2009, 09:00:07 AM

Hey, we had to do SOMETHING to entertain ourselves while you guys were having all that fun...  :brickwall:

Great to hear your car is headed in the right direction - looking forward to seeing some pics when you get the chance. 

Seriously Jim, if you want those seals I'll send 'em.  We'll consider that a downpayment on the consulting fees I'll be racking up later.  Or, maybe I can get you to tell me the secret password to get through Canadian Border Patrol without a body cavity search  :o  Actually, I didn't remember seeing a '70 Charger in your shop - but maybe I missed it with all the :drool5: I was doing over your other awesome rides.

Thanks Geno - I'll be your best friend!
The car wasn't at home when you were over. Here are a couple pics...  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6.msg588430.html#msg588430

BTW - The secret password is Labbatts Blue! Alternate password - Extra Large Double-Double Timmy's

moparstuart

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 13, 2009, 01:03:59 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on November 13, 2009, 09:00:07 AM

The car wasn't at home when you were over. Here are a couple pics...  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6.msg588430.html#msg588430

BTW - The secret password is Labbatts Blue! Alternate password - Extra Large Double-Double Timmy's
charger bastard  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

maxwellwedge

I finally flip the Daytona Bastard name to Troy and now I have a new one to schlep to someone else. Does the work ever let up?  :lol:

moparstuart

well with all the mopars you have maybe you should just be the canadian MB
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 13, 2009, 01:03:59 PM

D'OH!  I remember seeing the picture of your FY1 Mr. Norm's car and forgot all about it.  GREAT ride!  

Gotcha covered on the seals - may take me a little while to research what the best way to send parts would be.  Seem to remember that USPS is easier/cheaper than UPS, but it's been a while.  Also - shouldda figured mentioning something about Tim Horton's would have made Helga go easier on me.  

Speaking of parts which need to be sent out, a month or so back (might have been as far back as Monster Mopar) someone asked me about a pair of 1095 bulbs which I said I had.  Those go on the inner-most taillight sockets on a '69/'70 Charger.  For the life of me, I can't remember who it was. :icon_smile_blackeye: Within the past two weeks I found a pair of extra 1095s, but can't do anything with them since I have CRS disease pretty bad.  Whomever it is that I spoke to about those, remind me and I'll stick to the same deal I made at the time.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemigeno on October 06, 2009, 11:14:03 AM
I took these first two pictures to show a pretty noticeable dent that Creative had somehow managed to put in the original dutchman panel.  Since the glass had never been out of this car, it's hard to imagine how a dent of that magnitude could have been put there by anyone other than a Creative employee.  Wonder if someone stood up there for some reason?   :scratchchin:

The last two are just some perspective shots of the car.

Gene,

Just a guess,But , I bet the guy who was working on it a C.I. sat there while he installed the rear window trim clips. Its an a$$ print......CSI can likely figure out which employee did it!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemigeno

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 23, 2009, 05:11:28 PM
Gene,

Just a guess,But , I bet the guy who was working on it a C.I. sat there while he installed the rear window trim clips. Its an a$$ print......CSI can likely figure out which employee did it!

:scratchchin:  Wonder if they have a database for such prints   :lol:

Makes sense though!

On another topic, I got the results of the second engine dyno pulls last week. 

Peak HP:  440 @ 5000rpm
Peak TQ:  534 @ 3400rpm

Not bad for a totally-stock appearing engine if you ask me... 

The first trip to the dyno shop ended with the discovery that some hydraulic lifter plungers were sticking inside the bore of the lifter body itself.  Here's a write-up on that problem:

Major problems with Comp Cams hydraulic roller lifters

For more particulars about the engine build, here's the thread where I'm posting that info:

Bone stock (appearing) 1969 440 - with dyno results

Davtona and I had to reschedule our visit to Wisconsin/Michigan until this weekend, so there will be another update coming soon.

hemigeno

Yet another visit has been made, and the car is making some progress towards completion.  Since the engine has been dialed in, it was finally ready for paint.  Vance used Imron paint, which he flattens to the right sheen although that is hard to capture in a picture.  Imron apparently does not discolor when heated like regular/enamel paint does, which should keep the engine a little nicer for a little longer - especially at the intake manifold crossover which was only partially blocked off.

Anyway, the next several pictures show the engine assembly in the beginning stages of being detailed.  I have on my list of questions a note to confirm that Vance will be masking off and painting the base of the spark plugs, since I believe they were installed (and covered with a boot of sorts) when the engine was painted... correct me if I'm wrong here, Jim...

In the second and fourth pictures, you can see some bare areas on the cylinder heads.  That is where the lifting brackets were attached to the engine.  I found an original set of these brackets, which from what I've been told were normally removed and re-used, so Vance installed them on the engine prior to painting.

The third picture shows the engine ground strap which was installed prior to painting as well.  Jim B. has a great detail on one of his cars where this strap was laid across the valve cover when DocTona's engine was painted (which left a few bare spots).  There's no hard-and-fast rule about how the grounds were positioned when painted, and Vance apparently left this one hang off the back as you see in the pic.

hemigeno

Some more engine pictures here...

The first picture shows the fuel pump and fuel filter/separator.  One of the remaining tasks is to paint up (as if it were originally installed and with the same paint) a more modern fuel pump that doesn't have a 40 year old rubber diaphragm in it.  That is one major downside to scrounging around for NOS & date-coded parts... anything that doesn't age well is much more prone to failure.  I was hoping to have a good pump already painted up, so that it could be changed out without losing the proper "look"

The second pic shows the assembly line style oil filter.  I had bought another spare filter with the same olive drab paint color and the sand texture finish, but it has the Dodge triangle emblem instead of the Mopar curved "M".  I'm wondering if it wasn't perhaps a truck filter.  Anyway, I'm still planning to ask Vance to paint up a few extra filters for the shelf, so that an oil filter change won't change the "look" either.

The third pic was one of my attempts to capture the engine assembly date information which is pretty hard to read once the paint is applied.  The HP stamp is quite visible, but the rest is much harder to read.  I think I'll take some grease and smear across the lettering to make it more legible, but that's another task for another day.

hemigeno

More engine / eye candy pictures...  Still a fair amount of detailing and a few more accessories to mount, but it's getting there.