News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

Thanks guys, and there's still a LOT of detailing work yet to be done.  It's getting there though.

OK, on with the last batch of pictures for now...

In this first one, you can see engine paint on the sparkplug bases, as Jim/maxwellwedge mentioned.  Apparently these were in when the engine was painted, with the ceramic part covered by a sleeve or other masking method to keep them sans paint.  You can also see the unpainted dipstic tube bolted in place, as well as incomplete paint coverage in the freeze plug area and a few other locations visible from this vantage point.  Note that there is no exhaust manifold gasket between the head and manifold - just like it was done originally, although I would recommend that the manifold face be refaced and trued up to keep some semblance of a seal intact.  Why they did that, I dunno... guess that reduced the warranty claims for gasket replacement, eh?  "I'm sorry Mr. Jones, your exhaust gasket is NOT leaking - but we'll be happy to install one for you, if you'll only sign here."  ;)

The second picture shows the area ready to receive the starter (which should arrive soon).  You can see the stud and bolt arrangement, as well as the starter's shim "gasket" already installed.

hemigeno

The first picture shows a look at the backside of the passenger's side front spring mount.  Not a whole lot to see, apart from just noting the attachment hardware & finish of the hardware.

The second pic primarily shows the correct 070 viscous fan clutch, with what I remember to be an April '69 date inkstamped on the front (D=April, that much I do remember), but it's admittedly a little hard to read in that pic.

In the last picture, you can see the new rubber seal Vance "created" from another original Daytona air seal.  This new piece replaced the NOS piece I showed earlier in this thread which had broken during installation.  That original rubber is extremely stiff whether NOS or old/original, so Vance made things easier on himself by modifying the dimensions of the seal just enough to smooth the radius where it has to bend.  I was able to find an extra original lower fender splash shield (the largest rubber pieces except for the K-frame seal) from another Daytona restoration that didn't re-use their seals, and Vance marked the template out on this splash shield - with the longer dimension where he wanted it - and just cut out a "new" seal.  Fits great, and I still have all-original seal material.  Also, in this last pic you can see some of the hardware used to attach the lower valance.  The U-clip they used wasn't held to anything, and it's not really possible to hold it in place during tightening, so quite often you'll see those circular scratch marks where the clip spun around as the bolt is being installed/tightened.

hemigeno

The first pic shows the master cylinder's fresh zinc/gold finish, the blue and red (respectively) tint to the brake line flange nuts, the throttle cable attachment, and a few other details.  I am curious about the dipstick handle, as I thought those were dipped in engine paint.  Could be wrong though...  I am also going to ask about the black tip on the shock absorber stud - I know the whole body of the shocks were painted black, but it almost looks like just the tip is black above the nut.  Could be that installing the bushing/washer/nut merely removed the black paint, but it's something I want to ask about.

This second picture shows a neat detail.  Spark plug wires were installed after the engine was painted, but quite often the paint was not all the way cured out.  When the plug wires were pushed into and pulled through the retainers, there would usually be some amount of orange paint that would rub off onto the wires.  That's what you see here.

hemigeno

These last two pictures (last ones from the batch Vance sent me, anyway) show some additional engine details, including more engine paint on the spark plug wires in the first frame.  You can also see more of the suspension adjustment cam/bolt, fuel pump and vapor separator & fuel lines.

The second pic shows the right side of the engine, although I was under the impression that the PCV valves were painted with the rest of the engine.  Need to check on that.  There is more paint evidence on the wire going to #8 cylinder too...

Well, that's all the fresh meat Vance sent me.  There will be more detailing, parts replaced/installed, etc. etc., so this is very much a work in progress.  I'm learning a ton of things going through this process, so don't think for a second that all this stuff is old-hat for me (some is, but a lot isn't). 

:cheers:

maxwellwedge

I'm diggin' it Geno! The dipstick handle should be dipped in black (69's - not sure of earlier years) as you have it. In 70 it was orange (HP) but not engine orange. Like the orange air cleaner lids, the dipsticks came from the vendor already painted - in 70 the color orange is closer to the air cleaner lid color rather than the engine color. I think Fram supplied both those parts.

maxwellwedge

Yes - PCV valves were all painted on the engine - except Hemi.

Here is an original paint cover off of Doc.

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 18, 2009, 07:29:25 PM
I'm diggin' it Geno! The dipstick handle should be dipped in black (69's - not sure of earlier years) as you have it. In 70 it was orange (HP) but not engine orange. Like the orange air cleaner lids, the dipsticks came from the vendor already painted - in 70 the color orange is closer to the air cleaner lid color rather than the engine color. I think Fram supplied both those parts.

OOHH!!!  Guess you have something to bug John Grinwald about sometime, eh?

I'm not doubting you for a second, but I had actually saved the magazine article below years ago, and someone re-posted it on the old Moparts A12 board in the big discussion the've had about dipstick tubes being painted or unpainted.  Vance doesn't make many mistakes, so I figured he had a reason for painting that sucker black.  That's the way it'll stay...

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking on the PCV.  Could be that the one I had on the shelf was incorrect and he didn't want to paint/ruin it, but no matter.  That's an easy fix.

gtx6970

Should there be that much paint on the bottom of the engine yet /  opposed to light overspray in the core plugs

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on December 18, 2009, 07:41:54 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 18, 2009, 07:29:25 PM

OOHH!!!  Guess you have something to bug John Grinwald about sometime, eh?

I'm not doubting you for a second, but I had actually saved the magazine article below years ago, and someone re-posted it on the old Moparts A12 board in the big discussion the've had about dipstick tubes being painted or unpainted.  Vance doesn't make many mistakes, so I figured he had a reason for painting that sucker black.  That's the way it'll stay...

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking on the PCV.  Could be that the one I had on the shelf was incorrect and he didn't want to paint/ruin it, but no matter.  That's an easy fix.

That was a good article but had many mistakes - I leave the arguing up to FB - He busts a camera every year, for the past 30+ years taking pics of original stuff!  :smilielol:

hemigeno

Quote from: gtx6970 on December 18, 2009, 07:47:52 PM
Should there be that much paint on the bottom of the engine yet /  opposed to light overspray in the core plugs

Can't answer that, to be honest, but I will ask.

maxwellwedge

Should there be that much paint on the bottom of the engine yet /  opposed to light overspray in the core plugs

Here is one of my survivor Bee's. They didn't go to a lot of trouble to get underneath! Some got better, some got worse. Do you have the unobtainium oil pan plug gasket?

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 18, 2009, 08:04:25 PM

Here is one of my survivor Bee's. They didn't go to a lot of trouble to get underneath!

:faint:

Thanks for the pic - how was DocTona's pan?  Don't remember if I have a pic of it or not.   :popcrn:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on December 18, 2009, 08:09:16 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 18, 2009, 08:04:25 PM
Should there be that much paint on the bottom of the engine yet /  opposed to light overspray in the core plugs

Here is one of my survivor Bee's. They didn't go to a lot of trouble to get underneath!

:faint:

Thanks for the pic - how was DocTona's pan?  Don't remember if I have a pic of it or not.   :popcrn:

It had a lot better coverage than the Bee but like I said, some are better, some are worse. Did you notice the coverage on the side was so thin you can actually see the painted  bore/piston size letters on the block? I have painted a couple like that. You really need a mint oil pan to get away with the drippy, non-coverage on the bottom!

hemi68charger

Man,,, this is awesome.. Makes me want to tear into my Daytona...............  Ah, on second thought............. Maybe when I retire...... :)
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

gtx6970

I'm just asking . but it would make sense that if you have the top area of the core plugs are barely covered as if the painter didn't get down too low to paint said engine, then wouldn't the very bottom of the oil pan and clutch cover be lightly covered as well

I'll have the aluminum oil drain plug gaskets after the 1st of the year

69_500

Gene, I'm game pretty much from the second weekend in january to the end of the month. Car is looking great by the way. Makes me want a Daytona of my own even more, if that is even possible.

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 16, 2009, 07:31:02 PM
My Hemi-X has the original grease nipple "plugs" still installed. The FSM actually discusses these. Looking Good!!!

Here is a pic off my X.

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 18, 2009, 08:18:11 PM
Did you notice the coverage on the side was so thin you can actually see the painted  bore/piston size letters on the block? I have painted a couple like that. You really need a mint oil pan to get away with the drippy, non-coverage on the bottom!

Jim, I did notice the lettering on the block at first glance - quite a neat detail, and it had to be pretty thin paint to show that lettering.  Thanks for the pics of your 'X - awesome reference material!

Bill, you are correct about the oil pan coverage, and I'm wondering if it makes sense to drop the pan and clutch inspection cover, clean/strip them, and shoot them with a skimpy coat of paint to match the shadowing shown elsewhere...  I don't know how "mint" my oil pan was, which may have contributed to how much paint coverage Vance used.  Might mean (yet another) parts search... *sigh*  Anyone know if the clutch inspection covers were primed beneath the engine paint?

Danny, I'll see what weekend works best.  So you're saying anytime from the 9th on?  Oh, and I don't think anyone questions your desire for a Daytona.  At least not me, anyway...

Thanks, rtse, I'm glad you are enjoying the progress - I'm enjoying the ride along with everyone else, since I only get to see the car every so often myself.

Troy, I can see you working on your ride - whatever it is - one piece at a time until it looks brand-spanking-new, so I don't think you'll be wearing black socks, sandals and bermuda shorts before you get 'er done.

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on December 20, 2009, 06:13:13 PM
Troy, I can see you working on your ride - whatever it is - one piece at a time until it looks brand-spanking-new, so I don't think you'll be wearing black socks, sandals and bermuda shorts before you get 'er done.

Yeah... If I have a solid car, then all the "detailing" is fun and can be done incrementally...  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on December 20, 2009, 06:13:13 PM
Bill, you are correct about the oil pan coverage, and I'm wondering if it makes sense to drop the pan and clutch inspection cover, clean/strip them, and shoot them with a skimpy coat of paint to match the shadowing shown elsewhere...  I don't know how "mint" my oil pan was, which may have contributed to how much paint coverage Vance used.  Might mean (yet another) parts search... *sigh*  Anyone know if the clutch inspection covers were primed beneath the engine paint?

No primer Geno - engine enamel over bare metal. This is a 69 Hemi - but same deal.

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 20, 2009, 07:59:07 PM

No primer Geno - engine enamel over bare metal. This is a 69 Hemi - but same deal.

:scope:

I remember you pointing out the paint on the direct-drive starter (which created a little bit of  :boxing_smiley: with some people IIRC), but didn't remember anything about the clutch fork having engine overspray...

:scratchchin:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on December 21, 2009, 10:05:16 AM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 20, 2009, 07:59:07 PM

:scope:

I remember you pointing out the paint on the direct-drive starter (which created a little bit of  :boxing_smiley: with some people IIRC), but didn't remember anything about the clutch fork having engine overspray...

:scratchchin:

Yes - That car threw a lot of the conventional beliefs on its ears! The proof is there though. The fork was installed but not the rubber boot. That aspect was a 69 Hemi 4-speed deal as I have seen the boot painted on '70 motors. Not sure on 69 440, 4-speeds as far as the fork and boot getting painted. The rest (b/hsg and cover) is standard 4-speed procedure.

roger440

Hi Geno,

Whilst unashamedly pillaging your photos for guidance during my build, i saw something you might be able to answer. In the pic, the washers at the front of the tie rods (that retain the bushes) that come from the lower arm i see are black. I thought 69 cars were cad plated?

Have you got on thoughts on this or am i just wrong?

1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner - SOLD
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1970 Triumph 2000 Estate, fitted Rover V8
1961 Standard Atlas
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester

hemigeno

Quote from: roger440 on December 30, 2009, 03:40:30 PM
Hi Geno,

Whilst unashamedly pillaging your photos for guidance during my build, i saw something you might be able to answer. In the pic, the washers at the front of the tie rods (that retain the bushes) that come from the lower arm i see are black. I thought 69 cars were cad plated?

Have you got on thoughts on this or am i just wrong?

Roger, hope the pics are helping out - that's one of the main reasons I've been documenting this stuff. 

Just double-checking here, but are the parts in question the ones marked with the yellow arrow below?  I am going from memory here, but it was my recollection that the original strut rod/arm bushing retainers were supposed to be black phosphate coated.  If that's not the case, I'm sure we'll both hear about it pretty soon... :lol: