News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Nice....Ill be blacking mine out as well.....always wondered why that bolt & tab stood out as much as it did.  Is it paint or undercoating overspray?

This would apply to all models or only cars that were optioned with the undercoating?

I would also assume the parking brake cable would also be blacked out in the drivers side fenderwell?  I just put a new one in....looks pretty, but it stands out as well 
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

maxwellwedge

It was a B-Body thing.  :lol:

It was done with black paint and a brush....undercoated or non u/coated.

The e-brake cable was installed before the wheelwell sound deadener went in and should of got nailed.

Here is another original car.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 02, 2011, 10:10:33 AM
It was a B-Body thing.  :lol:

It was done with black paint and a brush....undercoated or non u/coated.

The e-brake cable was installed before the wheelwell sound deadener went in and should of got nailed.

Here is another original car.

Thanks Jimbo............ I will be adding this this tidbit to the Daytona...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

y3chargerrt

Wow I blacked mine out years back. Its good to be ahead of the curve for once!

Mopar John

Here is a picture of the passengers side fender bolt area on an original Daytona fender. The second picture is of the same area on our B5 Daytona. While I was taking pictures of this area I decided to see what the original fender bolts looked like on our 1970 GTX dragcar which has front wheel opening moldings. It looks like this black touch up was done after the moldings were on. It also looks like this car may have been sprayed on rather than a brush. Also quite sloopy as it's also on the molding!
  By the way credits to the original post! Great details Gene!

jonw29

Geno.When you recover from the weekend trip,give us the skinny on how the Daytonas maiden voyage went.What sort of reception it got and how many magazines I need to buy showing its coverage. :icon_smile_big:

BrianShaughnessy

Thanks for allowing me in the presense of your Daytona Gene :)     It's a work of art  :coolgleamA:

Congrats and good luck with the OE scoring.    :2thumbs: 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

johntpr

It was the best car in the show !

A true work of art !

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

Big Bird Rons barn find superbird was to be on display somewhere at carlisle

jonw29

Gene.The car looks awesome.To be "finished "with it is a relief I know

nascarxx29

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69 OUR/TEA

Truly amazing car Gene,long road but worth the reward!!!!!! Another good luck on the OE judging!!! :2thumbs:

gtx6970

Well,,,,the suspense is getting tough

I saw it wednesday evening and for one reason I didn't think it was Genes car ( he knows what I'm talking about )

If I would have had time, I would have loved to cross over the ropes for a closer look, but alas it was not meant to be.

btw, did you find the bulb ?

hemi68charger

Awesome Geno !!!!!    :2thumbs:

I bet you were like an over-protective 1st time proud Daddy.........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Just 6T9 CHGR

That was the best crappiest car in the show!  ;)

Thanks for the time spent explaining all the "defects" as well Gene!  Hopefully you come out on top for the OE's
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Hemi_tyme

Found this pix over on Moparts......Looks great Gene!!!

hemigeno

Thanks, everyone!

I'm in the process of recovering from the last week... well, actually, the past month has been chock full of enough car-related activities to get my fix for quite a while.  Carlisle was a lot of fun, but a lot of work too.  I have not received any official feedback from the OE judging that was performed at the show, but hope to hear something in the next couple of weeks.  Having been through this process now, I can't say it was either any better or worse than I thought - although perhaps I should hold my opinions in reserve until the results are obtained...

For the folks who were able to see the car in person, thank you very much for the many kind comments and for not making fun of me (too much).  Overall, the car was well-received by the onlookers, although there were a few who regaled us with some wild tales about how they owned one just like it but with a factory-installed 383, etc. etc.  That's always interesting.  A whole lot of people questioned the overspray and other details that are not often seen on a restored car.  One gent, after being told that the car was only finished on Tuesday, said "that explains all the overspray in the engine compartment... you guys really WERE in a hurry to get ready for the show".

Quote from: johntpr on July 11, 2011, 02:37:34 PM
It was the best car in the show !

A true work of art !

You're too kind, John.  I'm sure next year we'll be looking at an even better Y2 car that will make mine look like the used car that it is.

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on July 11, 2011, 08:09:36 PM
That was the best crappiest car in the show!  ;)

Thanks for the time spent explaining all the "defects" as well Gene!  Hopefully you come out on top for the OE's

:lol:  Ugly in all the right places...

Quote from: gtx6970 on July 11, 2011, 05:41:18 PM
Well,,,,the suspense is getting tough

I saw it wednesday evening and for one reason I didn't think it was Genes car ( he knows what I'm talking about )

If I would have had time, I would have loved to cross over the ropes for a closer look, but alas it was not meant to be.

btw, did you find the bulb ?

Bill, you'd have been more than welcome to clamber over that high-security plastic chain and take as close a look as you cared.  Glad I got to catch up with you some - and no, I did not find a correct 1157 bulb at the show.  There's a ziplock bag of 10 vintage bulbs sitting here on my desk already though, courtesy of Davtona (thanks again, Dave!).

Thanks again everyone...  I'll post up the couple of pictures I took a little later.  No up-close detail shots of the finished product yet, that'll have to wait until I get time to pull it out of the trailer and tucked away.  The sad thing is, I'm already formulating a list of things in the back of my mind that I still want to "tweak".   :slap:

XS29J8

Congrats on finally getting your Daytona back Gene! Hope it turned out as you wanted.......( still think it needs a proper detailing with a scotch brite pad & WD40! )   :cheers:   Have you plans for the Brickyard 400 Show???

Cheers!
Steve
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

Aero426

Quote from: hemigeno on July 12, 2011, 12:53:00 PM
For the folks who were able to see the car in person, thank you very much for the many kind comments and for not making fun of me (too much).  Overall, the car was well-received by the onlookers, although there were a few who regaled us with some wild tales about how they owned one just like it but with a factory-installed 383, etc. etc.  That's always interesting.  

Get used to it.  You kind of expect this thing, but it is amazing is when you hear it at a Mopar show.     "My brother had one of those.   It was just like it.   Except it didn't have the nose or wing.    But it was just like it."

QuoteA whole lot of people questioned the overspray and other details that are not often seen on a restored car.  One gent, after being told that the car was only finished on Tuesday, said "that explains all the overspray in the engine compartment... you guys really WERE in a hurry to get ready for the show".

That's a good one.   Congrats on a successful debut.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html