News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wilma kicking our butts in at work!!

Started by 4402tuff4u, October 25, 2005, 02:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4402tuff4u

These photos were taken about 1:00 PM and the water was already starting to enter the cofferdam that is supposed to be dry! It's still not high tide. High tide is at 4:00 PM, so this structure will be underwater sometime soon. On normal conditions, you have approx. 5' between high water and the top of the cofferdam. At 1:00 PM (3hrs to high tide to go) the water was already coming in!! The photos do not resemble what is going on onsite. The unleashed force of mother nature is amazing. We will be pumping out all night long so when the tide drops the cofferdam does not rupture under the internal loads applied by the water. We will try to keep the water levels (in & out) even until we gain on it. Then we can dewater it again.   :eek:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger4404spd

4402tuff4u

Sorry guys! The cofferdam is basically a tub/box that is constructed out of steel and it extends to a depth of about 20' below the water surface. This is built so workers can go inside and build the footings for the new bridge. This tub is built around concrete piles that will support the weight of the bridge. Similar to the footings supporting the Verrazano Bridge here in NY or the Golden Gate on the west coast and all other bridges sitting in water. Anyway this structure called cofferdam is supposed to be dry - no water in it. Due to the high tides brought upon by Wilma, we had to get all the workers/tools/equip out because the tides/water level were coming up pretty quick. Sure enough it came over the top of the tub and flooded it. The next danger is that the outside water level will drop as the tide drops, meanwhile the tub will be full of water. This tub is significantly weak in the other direction of holding the weight of the water in. (64 lbs/cf).

Charger_Fan

Man, I'd be afraid of the walls caving in if I were 20 feel below water level in that thing. So what's it rated for holding the water out, somewhere around 1,000 lbs/cf?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Now I get ya......I suppose those cylindrical shapes are forms for concrete?

Got any pics of the tub empty?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chris G.

I surprised you guys got so much rain. We barely got anything in NJ. I would have thought the rain 2 weeks ago would have been worse, but it looks like you got hit pretty hard.

Good Luck tonight and stay safe. I hope you get that water pumped out. At least you're making some good O.T. right? That's always nice. :icon_smile:

Tom_440

Yikes! Stay safe and thanks for the lesson. I recall seeing how they did it in the old days with an upside down "bowl" placed on the ocean floor to keep the workers dry while they dug to the bedrock. Seemed lots of folks got the bends when they came up, and nobody knew why.

bull

Wilma isn't so bad. She seems nice to me.

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on October 25, 2005, 05:31:46 PM
I surprised you guys got so much rain. We barely got anything in NJ. I would have thought the rain 2 weeks ago would have been worse, but it looks like you got hit pretty hard.

Good Luck tonight and stay safe. I hope you get that water pumped out. At least you're making some good O.T. right? That's always nice. :icon_smile:

OT!!! I wish! You know how it goes, "project management" does not get overtime in the private sector. OT would be great. Some of our union dockbuilders are taking home $ 1,900 a week!! At that rate I would of purchased a totally restored Charger. Anyway, these photos show the cofferdam/tub empty while crew work inside last week.

Charger_Fan, with all safety factors calculated in about  5,800 lbs/sf of load.

6T9, after crews place approximately 50 tons of steel reinforcement inside this tub, it gets filled with 1,700 yards of concrete. The bars you see sticking out of the water are the tops of the concrete cylinder piles that are driven into the bay bottom 160' deep. There are 22 of these 160' piles supporting this tub that the bridge will built from.

Shakey

Do you have to let the concrete settle for 28 days?  I can't imagine but...

How about the re-bar, what size is it?

Quite amazing on what mankind is capable of doing eh!

Oh yeah, overtime in Project Management - ha!  Are you on call 24?

PocketThunder

Quote from: Shakey on October 26, 2005, 08:30:20 AM
Do you have to let the concrete settle for 28 days?   I can't imagine but...

Oh yeah, overtime in Project Management - ha!   Are you on call 24?

I would guess 28 days goes by before the get around to setting the steel on top of the foundation.  Plus i would think the ocean water surrounding the cofferdam helps to keep the concrete cool while it cures....
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

4402tuff4u

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 26, 2005, 09:48:08 AM
Quote from: Shakey on October 26, 2005, 08:30:20 AM
Do you have to let the concrete settle for 28 days?   I can't imagine but...

Oh yeah, overtime in Project Management - ha!   Are you on call 24?

I would guess 28 days goes by before the get around to setting the steel on top of the foundation.   Plus i would think the ocean water surrounding the cofferdam helps to keep the concrete cool while it cures....

Rebar in this project ranges from no. 5 (5/8" dia) to the biggest no. 14 (1 3/4" dia), both epoxy coated and black.

The pictures are of the second tub. The first tub was poured in August. Actually we had a network of 2" diameter pipe with pumps to cool off the heat given off by the concrete as it cures. At one end the water was going in at 60 degrees and at the other end it was coming out at 96 degrees. We also introduced liquid nitrogen to the mix as the trucks began to mix it onsite. Normally you use ice, however all the local large ice companies where tied up with New Orleans relief for the mess left by Katrina. It's an early strength 5,000 psi concrete mix. At 7 days we had 3,800 psi. At 12 days we were at 5,700 psi and 6,200 psi at 28 days.

Yep! no OT, on salary only. The NY state Dept of Transp., our client, has all of our personal numbers of our homes. If something looks bad we get the call. So far no calls.

472 R/T SE

Righton I miss the field.
I was gonna say you guys prolly use some pretty hot concrete but you beat me to it.   We used to do tilt-ups, concrete slabs on the ground you pick with the crane and set for walls.  I was always on the big iron so it was nothing to pick 75ton panels not counting rigging.
Carpenter's would pour on Friday and we'd be setting on Tuesday, I know they did their tests on blow out for pick points but that always just seemed to soon for me, of course I'm on the ground running the show. :P  Which way do I run! :icon_smile_big:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on October 26, 2005, 07:11:14 AM
OT would be great. Some of our union dockbuilders are taking home $ 1,900 a week!!
Once again, it's painfully obvious that I'm in the wrong business! :-\

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Lowprofile

Quote from: bull on October 25, 2005, 11:24:12 PM
Wilma isn't so bad. She seems nice to me.

Wilma is a milf....well, if I was a cartoon I would do her.   hehehehehe :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL