News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

17" rims questions...............................

Started by bksfld68, October 26, 2005, 08:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

471_Magnum

Look at the Kumho Ecsta STX

They have a 225-55-17 (26.8") and a 255-50-17 (27.1"). Size-wize they are just about perfect.

Yeah, I know they are listed as light truck tires, but that's essentially what you're looking at on any tire in this size range.

Edit: $100/corner from the Tire Rack! That's about as close as you're going to get to a guilt-free burn-out with a 17" tire!   :boogie:

I'd be tempted to run 255s at all four corners so you can rotate. That would give a bit more of a Nascar look as well.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

PocketThunder

Quote from: 471_Magnum on January 07, 2006, 08:12:36 AM
Look at the Kumho Ecsta STX

They have a 225-55-17 (26.8") and a 255-50-17 (27.1"). Size-wize they are just about perfect.

Yeah, I know they are listed as light truck tires, but that's essentially what you're looking at on any tire in this size range.

Edit: $100/corner from the Tire Rack! That's about as close as you're going to get to a guilt-free burn-out with a 17" tire!   :boogie:

I'd be tempted to run 255s at all four corners so you can rotate. That would give a bit more of a Nascar look as well.

thats what i'd like to do, but will 255's rub on the front? or just be a little tight...
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

471_Magnum

If they rub, it will only be at the most extreme steering angle and/or suspension compression.

BTW, today I discovered my 275's out back will rub when the suspension compresses completely. I hit a dip in the road to fast while out on a joy ride. By the time I saw it coming, all I could do was clench my teeth. WHAM... down on the bump stops. :o I think I shortened my spine by an inch or so. :scared: Luckily no damage anywhere other than a rub mark on the inner wheel house.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

PocketThunder

Can i run a 30" tall tire and get away with it?

Kumho STX comes in 275-60-17 for $95 at tirerack.com  :drive:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

471_Magnum

Wouldn't recommend 30" tires on a street car due to the potential clearance issues. Guys run slicks that big, but not on the street. Furthermore unless you're running 4.10s and/or a high stall converter, they'll turn your car into a slug.

PocketThunder

Well i finally bought tires today.  I went with:

255/50WR17  Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 

I was all set to go with Kumho Ecsta STX but when i checked the tirerack.com site they had these other ones pop up for $101 each.  I'll post pictures here when i get them on the car in April sometime.  and then its gonna be  :drive:

Paul

PocketThunder

Got the wheels on the car Saturday finally....  The torsion bars need to be turned up, we just got them in and had to get the car moved out of the shop for the day.  The front tires rubbed a little when we turned the wheels but after i get the torsion bars adjusted there should be about 1/2" clearance between the front edge of the wheel at the fender. 
I'll get some better pics in two weeks when i go back to finish her up.

Paul
in St. Paul

Blown70

:o  That is really starting to look nice.  :devil:  How long those tires gunna last... :devil:

PocketThunder

Quote from: Blown70 on May 07, 2006, 12:31:33 PM
:o  That is really starting to look nice.  :devil:  How long those tires gunna last... :devil:
dont know, dont care... :icon_smile_big: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive:

Brent69

Hey Paul,
Looks great!  You wanna summarize for me/us?  What are the specs on the wheels and tires in the pictures?  Estimated cost too if you don't mind.

Also, what kind of seats are you using?  Those look nice too.  Any problems mounting them, and where did you get them.

Congratulations!  Everything looks great.
Brent

471_Magnum

Quote from: PocketThunder on May 07, 2006, 10:15:52 PM
You will. One thing I've learned over the last year is that 17s don't hook... at least not behind my motor and 4.10s.

I'm considering going back to 15's so I can find a tire that sticks.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Brent69 on May 08, 2006, 11:52:58 AM
Hey Paul,
Looks great!  You wanna summarize for me/us?  What are the specs on the wheels and tires in the pictures?  Estimated cost too if you don't mind.

Also, what kind of seats are you using?  Those look nice too.  Any problems mounting them, and where did you get them.

Congratulations!  Everything looks great.
Brent

Thanks.  tire info from above. 

Quote from: PocketThunder on March 16, 2006, 04:24:07 PM
Well i finally bought tires today.  I went with:

255/50WR17  Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 

I was all set to go with Kumho Ecsta STX but when i checked the tirerack.com site they had these other ones pop up for $101 each.  I'll post pictures here when i get them on the car in April sometime.  and then its gonna be  :drive:

Paul

The rims are American Racing Hopsters.  I got them used from a add on moparts for $450 total + shipping.  So that was about 1/2 price of new ones.  The seats are out of a '03 Dodge Intrepid and are comfy as all get out!  Leather, power, just very nice to sit in.  I have to get them recovered in pearl white to match the back seat.  but they will stay Charcoal Gray for now because i'm in the poor house right now.  Mounting them wasnt too bad.  i used the front inside holes and had to drill for the other 3 and add washers for extra strength.  I probably should make up some reinforcing plates and put underneath also for extra measure.  The one motor does rub a little on the floor where it humps up in the middle.   

Paul
in St. Paul

PocketThunder

Quote from: 471_Magnum on May 08, 2006, 12:21:54 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on May 07, 2006, 10:15:52 PM
You will. One thing I've learned over the last year is that 17s don't hook... at least not behind my motor and 4.10s.

I'm considering going back to 15's so I can find a tire that sticks.

Ya i'm wondering how it will all turn out.  guess i'll find out in a couple weeks.

4402tuff4u

Dayum Paul (PT), no way am I catching you now. You are basically done!!! you suck!  :icon_smile_big:

Looks awesome!! Nice job. :2thumbs:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

PocketThunder

Well the front tires are rubbing badly.  With the torsion bars all the way down or up they rub.  Maybe i need to do some more playing around with it.  I didnt have much time Saturday once i got to that part.   Otherwise I'll have to buy smaller front tires (8" wide) and I'll have an extra set for the back.

471_Magnum

Quote from: PocketThunder on May 22, 2006, 10:32:36 AM
Well the front tires are rubbing badly. With the torsion bars all the way down or up they rub.

Where? Inboard?

PocketThunder

lower front corner of the wheel opening just forward of the tire.. (South east of the marker light)  both sides the same.  what do you think?

I'll be back there tomorrow night and i'll get some pics of it.   

471_Magnum

Mine is real close in that spot. I've got about 1" clearance. You've got a hair more back space IIRC. You should be better off.

Only other obvious difference I can think of is I run 11.75" front disc brakes.

That sucks. >:(

PocketThunder

I have the smaller disc brake rotors on it now(10.??"), i'll check into it.

471_Magnum

Maybe those Khumos run real big. Measure the tread width. I can't believe they would be that much bigger than my Nittos.

Have you verified the back space? Any chance those wheels have some negative offset? Has your car been wrecked? Fenders may be hanging low in front.

Measure your front track width.

I feel bad since I steered you to those wheels and that tire size. Dang.

471_Magnum

For referrence, here's a couple pics of mine in the area of concern. There is about 3/4" clearance with the wheel turned.