News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What primer should I use on bare metal?

Started by 41husk, October 27, 2005, 07:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

I am taking my Challenger to bare metal, it has been painted at least 3 times and will need some patch pannels put in quarters.  Do I need an epoxy primmer?  I used a non catalized cheap primmer on the Charger and wish I had gotten some advise.  The primmert has shrunk some under the paint and I don't want to make the same mistake twice.  Suggestions on type and brand would be appreciated.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

cudaken

Allen, I use Transtar 6401 and hardner is 6934, medium fill gray primer. They also have a yellow primer that is a higher fill but do not have that number.

Mar-Hyde 2 K polyester is good as well, high fill but you did not like sanding it. I will not shrink up like the lacquer primer.

Last time I checked Al's did not sell Transtar, only places I know has it is South West Auto parts in St Louis.

Call me when you get a chances.

Ken
I am back

Drop Top

:Twocents: If PPG is available in your area. I would suggest the DP line of primers. Its a bit expensive but you get what you pay for. It also has a window of 7 days before needing to be sanded before respraying over it. Two qts should be enough to do your car. Some of the lesser expensive primers take more to do the job. So they usually cost more to use.

The shrinkage your talking about is more then likely caused by the filler primer that you used. A bare metal primer is really a sealer not a filler primer. Its supposed to go down before anything else dose. Including plastic filler.

41husk

So, do I ask for a sealer or primer or both?  It is gonna be a little bit before I get to sanding I just want to prevent surface rust on the bare metal.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Drop Top

Sealer is a type of primer. Ask for sealer primer. PPG's DPLF line of primer is a very good choice of sealer primer. But no mater what brand of sealer primer you choose. Make sure it is for bare metal. Just because it's a sealer doesn't make it a bare metal primer.

41husk

Thanks, what about the transtar 6401 cudaken recommended? do you no anything about that brand?
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

cudaken

Allen, I know what Drop Top will think about it, it is not a high end name brand. But I am sure drop top would not paint a car for $2000.00 either.

If cost is not a issue, then I.C.I (Owned by PPG) or PPG would be the way to go.

If you can find some that sell Amercain Finishes I would rather use it than Transtar. That is what I used on my Charger. Painted going on 3 years and still looks straight.

Guess you need to think of them like a generic meds.

Ken
I am back

Drop Top

Ken's right. The cars I paint are all much more then daily drivers. They usually run at least $10,000. When my customers pay that kind of money. They don't what the generic type of paint. They what materials that is more well known. Plus what is available in one area is not always available somewhere else.

I have not used any transtar products. So I can't give you any opinion on it. If Ken suggests it. Then I'm sure for the money its worth it. I don't always use PPG for all my primers. I use alot of Valspar products. The Valspar products that I use I have tested agianst PPG and DuPont. For the money spent and what they do, the Valspar that I use is as good or better quality and cheaper to buy. The reasion I don't always suggest Valspar is. Its not always available everywhere. Where as PPG is almost everywhere.

One thing I have learned is in most cases. You get what you pay for. For instance the high bild primer can be very expensive. If you buy the cheaper quailty. You end up buying more to do the job then If you would have bought the more expensive to begin with. The more expensive blocking primers are thicker and go on heavier. So there is more of it on the car to block with less passes of the gun and they don't shrink as bad. By the way I use Valspar 21N for my blocking primer.

cudaken

Hi Drop Top, I have a couple of questions about the Valspar 21N Primer.

First is a dumb sound question and LOL if you will. Who makes Valspar? Dam that sound dumb. Not sure how to say it, but need to kinda of idea where to find it.

Cost per gallon with hardner?

What sizes tip is needed to shoot it? Biggest tip I have is in a Sharp Colbolt and is a 2.4, I also have a 1.8 as well.

I have heard of Valsparn but not sure where I heard about from.

Anything that will save time is fine with me.

Ken
I am back

Drop Top

Valspar has been around for years. It started way back making lacquers for sailing ships. Then moved on to making industrial paints. Changing with the times. They also started making lacquers for all woods and house paints. They where trying to get into the car market and finely bought House of Kolor 7 or 8 years ago. I pay around $130 a gallon with the hardener. When you first pore it out of the can it pores out like tar. Then when you add the hardener it gets a bit more runny. But not much. You'll need your bigger nozzle to shoot it en-less you thin it a little. As you know the thinner it is the less it will fill. But the better it will flow out. It mixes 4 to 1. For the first blocking, I don't thin it at all. But for the last blocking I mix it 4-1-1. It flows out real nice with a little reducer in it and that makes it easier to block out.

cudaken

What sizes head do you use? Transtar is 4-1-1 and does flow out well. So a house of kolor will have it, the dealer I buy Transtart sell house of Kolor as well.

By the way, thanks for the Paint gun tip as well.

Ken

I am back